8 replies to this topic

#1 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Anyone ever run a game without the Good vs. Evil diatribe, and instead made it Chaos vs. Law, perhaps with the world being out of whack a bit, such as Chaos on the wane and Law increasing it.

The Gods of Neutrality trying to hold it all in balance.

Those of Lawful type, meaning Lawful Evil, Lawful Neutral, and Lawful Good on one side, and Chaotic Evil, Chatic Neutral, and Chaotic Good on the other.

So many possibilities, just, curious on what the thoughts are. Perhaps Chaos needs to be levelled out, and the Party will realize they must be instruments of Chaos in order to save the world. (Quite hard for Pally's)

I was thinking about something that would involve that device...can't remember it's name...that is a major artifact, the one that has all the buttons and switches and knobs and levers, and can do ANYTHING, if you know the proper way of having the buttons and knobs and levers and switches...Anyone remember it's name? It was 2nd Ed I think that I last saw it.

Anyway...thoughts?

#2 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

I don't know much about artifacts, but maybe it's on the list of D&D artifacts wiki has?

I've never done an extensive Law vs. Chaos campaign before but I have done a few planar ones where I thoroughly let loose my displeasure of modrons. The funniest case was when I play a Lawful Good character, and he would occasionally view modrons as a greater threat to universal sensibilities than some minor rabble of fiends. :P

#3 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:18 PM

Two artifacts came to mind as I read that post.

1) The Rod of Seven Parts. It can't exactly do everything, but it can do a lot if you have the parts. The box-set built around it is a campaign that is built on Law.

2) The Machine of Lum the Mad. This thing had all kinds of levers and buttons and could do things like grant wishes I think. It's portrayed in Baldur's Gate II as well, down in the bowels of Watcher's Keep, on the way down to sort out Demogorgon.

#4 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

Two artifacts came to mind as I read that post.

1) The Rod of Seven Parts. It can't exactly do everything, but it can do a lot if you have the parts. The box-set built around it is a campaign that is built on Law.

2) The Machine of Lum the Mad. This thing had all kinds of levers and buttons and could do things like grant wishes I think. It's portrayed in Baldur's Gate II as well, down in the bowels of Watcher's Keep, on the way down to sort out Demogorgon.

The Infernal Machine of Lum the Mad and uhh...the...Mighty Servant of Luke-O!

Nice. Yes. Now I just need to see if I can find something that shows what the Machine would do through random poking and prodding.

And maybe they need to put the Rod of Seven Parts together and put it in the Machine eventually...hrm.

#5 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

My games tend to mostly just ignore the whole alignment thing. I suppose good and evil still exist, somewhat, but law vs chaos would potentially cause half of my players to be killed instantly the moment they came across a paladin. It's an interesting setting, I just don't know if I could convince my guys to stick to it. :P

#6 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:11 PM

My games tend to mostly just ignore the whole alignment thing. I suppose good and evil still exist, somewhat, but law vs chaos would potentially cause half of my players to be killed instantly the moment they came across a paladin. It's an interesting setting, I just don't know if I could convince my guys to stick to it. :P

Well I was thinking more along the lines of, forcing the players to ally with those who are evil or at least work with some who are evil and good and neutral.

I was just thinking it would be interesting if the world was split in the non normal manner because of events. Perhaps due to all the good and law in the world, Chaos is weakened, and the balance must be maintained to avoid a...cataclysmic event.

Or maybe I'm just not sure what your meaning...heh. :P

#7 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Isn't this all just a little like the Recluse Novels by L.E. Modesitt?

Just a thought. . .

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

maybe I'm just not sure what your meaning

I get that a lot. Lemme see if I can be more clear.

I was thinking more along the lines of, forcing the players to ally with those who are evil or at least work with some who are evil and good and neutral.

My players don't tend to worry about the good/evil alignment when picking people to ally with. Typically they side with whomever they feel is more awesome or is less annoying. If anyone is concerned with the good/evil paradigm it's me because they're supposed to be heroes, dammit, so siding with the good guys gets them rewarded and siding with the bad guys gets them screwed over in some way they didn't see coming.

My guys are almost all chaotic by nature. I think some of them could be convinced to reign it in, but they all just have so much fun doing it (and I'd be hypocritical if I reprimanded them for stuff I do as a player as well) that I let them get away with it, if not encourage them. There are consequences to chaotic behaviour, of course, but that's what makes it fun.

So building a setting where the focus sits on law/chaos instead of good/evil really forces my guys onto one side of the issue, to the degree that meeting a counterpart of that alignment would be like introducing ham-flavoured plastic explosives to a carnivorous detonator convention.

I was just thinking it would be interesting if the world was split in the non normal manner because of events. Perhaps due to all the good and law in the world, Chaos is weakened, and the balance must be maintained to avoid a...cataclysmic event.

That is a cool idea. And in the example that may actually work for my particular situation. However it will still be a bloody, uphill battle since they're playing for the less beloved, underdog alignment.

#9 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:30 PM

That is a cool idea. And in the example that may actually work for my particular situation. However it will still be a bloody, uphill battle since they're playing for the less beloved, underdog alignment.

I was thinking on the lines, and your guys may just fall into helping it sounds like...

1. Open Riots in the street to overthrow the oppressive Lords.

2. Being Freedom fighters in a sheer rabble...since they are chaotic...nor organizing these fellows.

3. Seeing Priests of Good standing next to Priests of Evil simply because they are both Lawful or Chaotic. The sheer magnitude of what can occur with that...boggles me slightly. Celestials and Fiends fighting side by side. Lawful Paladins Next to Lawful Vampires perhaps. (Well probably not...but you get the point)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge