#1 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 22 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

Terrasque.

I have a question for everyone. Well, two questions really.

1. Anyone played in a campaign where the Terrasque was used and how did that work out?

2. Anyone have thoughts on what they think is the proper use of a Terrasque?

To me it seems to be the monster that is just there to give players their final real challenge before retirement. But I think it could be used in more inventive ways...

For instance, I once played in a game that was high magic, lots and lots of magic...and there was a city, built around the Terrasque. For the soul purpose of selling Terrasque meat to the rich. As a delicacy. Filled with wizards, special devices and people, I supposed with flaming meat cleaver's +5.

The Terrasque had been beaten into submission, where it continues to regenerate, although the regeneration was slowed through the use of powerful items, and was constantly being carved into and damaged, nearly down to shell and bones to harvest it's meat.

It was...interesting, dangerous, yet for these people, although the set up was expensive, the fees charged for Terrasque meat was quite lucrative.

It was reasonable enough, I suppose, seeing as how the Terrasque would first have to be beaten into unconciousness and so on, but perhaps it was a business started by some 20th level adventurers.

Anyone else have any stories?

#2 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

No, actually, the only campaign I've ever played that lasted more than the introductory adventure arc is the one I'm currently DMing (go me!). I'm not going to comment on any plans I may or may not have for the Terrasque just in case some of my players remember I post on here and decide to join. I will say that, as written, the 4E Terrasque makes me sad and if I ever did use him he'd be getting a hefty ability boost.

#3 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

No, actually, the only campaign I've ever played that lasted more than the introductory adventure arc is the one I'm currently DMing (go me!). I'm not going to comment on any plans I may or may not have for the Terrasque just in case some of my players remember I post on here and decide to join. I will say that, as written, the 4E Terrasque makes me sad and if I ever did use him he'd be getting a hefty ability boost.

Yes it is a sad little thing and not nearly as deadly as it should be. It's really sad that the toughest thing in the 4e Monster Manual is a Demon Prince and not the Terrasque.

And at level 30...not even that tough actually.

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Yeah, the Terrasque is supposed to be motherf**king Godzilla. Adventurers should be crapping their codpieces if they see him and they don't have the power of Science! on their side.

#5 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

In all fairness the Tarrasque hasn't really been all that fear induced bowel evacuating horrific since second edition. In third you continuously hear of it being beaten back by various groups. In short order I imagine it will become a punch line for epic tier heroes in 4th edition. Each generation weakens the daemons of its forbearers so that they might not fear them . . . And yet the revival of the old school pushes back against that very sentiment.

#6 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

I think your right. I'm going to get out my 2nd Ed Montrous Compendium, (The huge one made from a binder) and do some looking.

I want to see what all has changed. I'll get back to you.

#7 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Should we have a RPGMP3 Tarrasque Wrangling Exhibition then? Tame the Tarrasque in all editions of D&D. :lol:

#8 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:13 PM

I "used" the Big T when he appeared in the H1 module series (the Bloodstone series). It also happens to be where Orcus can actually make an appearance!! Big T appears as the task for the Test of Might. Not very healthy for the PCs and nearly always results in a TPK.

As far as the title of the thread; it should be noted that Big T is unique and most D&D loremasters have indicated he is a primordial force of destruction---perhaps one of the titans that "got away". It is speculated that he is sort of the multi-verse's way of allowing only the strong to survive and thereby improve various species. He wakes up every decade or so; eats everything in site; and falls asleep again--sometimes plane shifting or teleporting (unconsciously) to random destinations across the multi-verse.

#9 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:36 PM

In the earlier editions I always got the impression that Gygax and friends should have included the following text: "If you happen to have a group of upstart players convinced of their own superiority throw this mother at them. That'll shut their whiney yaps. Then, while they're bitching and moaning, rip up their character sheets in front of them. If they continue, burn the remnants and piss on them. Tell them that this is the preferred method stated in the DMG to signify that their characters and all their possessions are lost to time and that even the knowledge of their existence is lost."

Maybe that's just me.

#10 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

In the earlier editions I always got the impression that Gygax and friends should have included the following text: "If you happen to have a group of upstart players convinced of their own superiority throw this mother at them. That'll shut their whiney yaps. Then, while they're bitching and moaning, rip up their character sheets in front of them. If they continue, burn the remnants and piss on them. Tell them that this is the preferred method stated in the DMG to signify that their characters and all their possessions are lost to time and that even the knowledge of their existence is lost."

Rat Bastard GM. :twisted:

Anyway yeah it's good for that. That's for sure. I just wondered if anyone ever used it as a plot device or something, not necessarily an encounter. But something they are questing to stop, knowing they don't have a chance of defeating this and that they are on a timeline as it is destroying everything.

#11 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm sure that some game master, at some point, has done that very thing. And I'm equally sure that the reason we haven't heard from him is because his group tied his legs together and hung him from a tree to see if anything other than shit popped out when they beat him with a stick.

You know, one good turn and all that.

#12 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'm sure that some game master, at some point, has done that very thing. And I'm equally sure that the reason we haven't heard from him is because his group tied his legs together and hung him from a tree to see if anything other than shit popped out when they beat him with a stick.

You know, one good turn and all that.

As I'm not sure your getting the spirit of what I'm implying popper...

I mean as in they do not have the chance to defeat it toe to toe. Instead they must do something else, like remove the Immovable Rod from it's orifice. Or create a special device that will shove a bag of holding into a chest of holding at impact while breaking a Staff of the Magi in a retributive strike when dropped from an airship held aloft by the gasses found inside a beholder in order to destroy it. And then drop an orb of annihilation atop the bits and pieces.

I do not mean in anyway to actually have a real FIGHT against a Terrasque. It's silly, it's powerful, and it's bloody ridiculous to try to defeat it in a normal manner.

I guess whether it is a Terrasque or a Giant Giant Giant Space Hamster...has anyone done something like this?

#13 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

Not yet. My guys are only lvl 7.

And while it would be an appropriate gap in power levels between them and the Tarrasque right now, then what would I do when they get bigger and I run out of things for them to fight?

#14 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

Oooh! You could throw a large laser gun wielding space hamster riding a huge space spider with fire breath attacks, that in turn is crawling across the chest of a gargantuan Hill Giant who is riding in the baby sling of a colossal dread lich titan!

You must defeat them all in order of tallest to smallest to win!

#15 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

As I'm not sure your getting the spirit of what I'm implying popper...

My friend, I'm just enjoying the ride and my whiskey during these postings, so it is entirely possible that I have missed the spirit of what you're saying. For that I apologize.

#16 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

The only time I used the Tarrasque was a 2nd edition game where 2 of the party were ascending to godhood...

... the other gods as a combined parthenon eventually put it into it's dormant cycle. :twisted:

It was meant to show the new godlings that even the gods have limitations...

#17 Sinister-Ornament

Sinister-Ornament

Ghoul

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • LocationThe Hill of the Pig, Darkest Wiltshire, England,

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:55 PM

I always thought that the Terrasque should be used indirectly - there on a quest to find a item that will prevent it waking, or to stop someone else getting something that would wake it up.

Whenever I hear of it I think of a cartoon tornado like the Tasmanian Devil.

I think the worse thing you can to do to a character is not to kill them but put them against level draining undead. The look on there faces as there hard earned experience level are drained away by some fanged fiend gets much more emotion out of them.

Plus I think monsters are always more fun when they can talk, and I don't think Timmy Terrasque is that talkative but I may be mistaken.

#18 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Telmergion wrote:
Not yet. My guys are only lvl 7.

And while it would be an appropriate gap in power levels between them and the Tarrasque right now, then what would I do when they get bigger and I run out of things for them to fight?

Kobolds and Goblins. Always Kobolds and Goblins. Fill them with traps until they scream!

Just create a beast that is more powerful than the Terrasque. The Terrasque's mother!

No I guess I'd run it with them trying to stop it for most of their roleplaying life. There can be a lot going on as they run around as others try to slow or delay the Terrasque as they are seeking to find whatever they need.

With some close calls of the Terrasque is getting close to the Pyramid of Recata where the artifact Splug's Spleen is, and they have to get there, and get it before it's destroyed.

#19 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

I wonder how frightening it will be to come upon a scheme to grant the Tarrasque higher intelligence? That is surely a scary thought to me. :P

#20 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Perhaps he is smart. Perhaps the Terrasque is a bad roll on reincarnation. Heh.

But grant it more intelligence so that it can be reasoned with. Or defeated in a nice game of chess. I like that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge