• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:44 AM

I've been thinking, due to the nature of this site's "product" (large collections of fairly sizable files) I think A torrent would be very useful to have, perhaps it could even serve to extend the sites reach, as well as lightening the load somewhat that the servers that handle the downloads take!

the torrent could have all possible have all the audio recordings from the past, perhaps it could be updated onces every few months? and could be divided into folders for each seperate game, Im sure anyone thats a fan of this site and handles torrents would gladly seed it, its simple a matter of someone getting together all the files, and a few people to seed it!

some info for to note:
looking at the file sizes on itunes, I esitmate the torrent will be around 20gigabytes in size, but of course since it will be divided into sections for each game, unless your after the entire collection, what your downloading will be significantly smaller.
I dont know how much Hal knows about torrents (not wanting too offend you or anything) the file that would be hosted here (if its hosted here at all) would be a matter of kilobytes, yet it would allow acess to every single podcast you have avalible on this site.

#2 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

This has been suggested a few times before. I hope not to sound dismissive, but rest assured that Hal is familiar with the option and has played with it. I think it basically came down to the fact that the extra hassle of running the tracker and making sure files were always seeded wasn't going to be worth the savings in bandwidth. I might get corrected on that, but I believe it's accurate.

I agree with you, but if the present model is less work for Hal, then it's better for all of us. After all, the less time he spends worrying about the distribution of the files, the more time he has to prepare for the adventures he runs and I think anyone who has listened to the Labo(u)r of Love recordings knows that Hal is one of the best GM's in the land.

#3 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:15 PM

I was actually talking about more of a community run idea, I wouldnt mind hosting one torrent myself, thought I simply dont have the space to run a 20 gig one, I would have no problem making a rolemaster torrent, or maybe a WLD torrent, think about it as a way to help the site out! lessening the bandwidth and maybe even bringing in new listeners.

#4 Holdar

Holdar

Raven

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:14 PM

An excellent idea, but the fact of having to update the torrent each time would be just about as much hassle as just posting the new file each week or so, I would think.

Not to mention the perk of being a patron, getting the audio material in advance, would be an even bigger hassle to work out.

#5 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

I figured it wouldnt be always completly up to day, maybe a quaterly update (which in all honest is probebly about 10-15 podcasts)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge