#21 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

First the Thousand Thrones and now this. Why do you guys still play with Chris?!

Because they like to? Because they like him? Gosh, wouldn't that be weird! :roll:

Commenting on the sessions is one thing. Directly insulting the players is something I think we would all rather not see; I know that I'd certainly appreciate a rather more constructive approach to this sort of criticism, please.

#22 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:15 AM

...because he's part of the group. Because roleplaying is (to most well-adjusted adults) a social activity rather than a strictly goal-oriented mandate.

If you're not happy with a game or the way things turn out is one thing (and frankly we'd suspect an imposter if you actually posted being happy about anything), but personal attacks are simply inexcusable.

#23 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

First the Thousand Thrones and now this. Why do you guys still play with Chris?!

From what I can make of it, you play two times a week and at one of those times he really isn't in the mood (and destroys games). Perhaps some scheduling arrangement could be made to prevent this. Or he could not play during his downtime/offtime mood periods.

Because I have pictures of everyone, most involving goats, midgets in gimp masks & lubricants of various flavors. :twisted:

#24 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:44 PM

Chris is great at the table, I love his yelling and random bouts of laughcoughing, besides this time wasnt his fault!

#25 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

Chris is great at the table, I love his yelling and random bouts of laughcoughing, besides this time wasnt his fault!

Yea, I...... this time??????? :lol:

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Because they like to? Because they like him? Gosh, wouldn't that be weird! :roll:

Commenting on the sessions is one thing. Directly insulting the players is something I think we would all rather not see; I know that I'd certainly appreciate a rather more constructive approach to this sort of criticism, please.

I agree with BJB (gasp) :) Lets keep the criticism constructive...

We actually play every other Sunday and record two session (one of each game) in that time... From a personal note, I don't think the NB party ever really got it together. I think the personalities present in the party (not the players) made it difficult. Also the idea of level 1 drudgery may have soured them a little after the muddy streets of the Old World.

Suffice it to say the new game (soon to be released here when I get 5 minutes to record an intro) is going from strength to strength and while the players moaning that I am driving them hard and making them work - they seem to be enjoying it :P

"What is the definition of a hero?" :)

Hal :hal:

#27 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

You bastard!! That should never see the light of day!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

...like the old world....

#28 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:16 PM

You bastard!! That should never see the light of day!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

What?! That entire exchange was classic. But now we're just going to aggravate the non-patrons.

Just a teaser, folks... Just a teaser.

#29 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:52 PM

We know something you don't know! Neener neener neeeeener!

#30 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:56 PM

We know something you don't know! Neener neener neeeeener!

However there are things we don't know. :D

#31 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

However there are things we don't know. :D

Which are unknown unknowns, but there are also known unknowns.... :P

#32 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

...but there are also known unknowns.... :P

Such as episodes 71 through 80 of Warlords of the Accordlands though those may be open secrets. :D

#33 Elizur

Elizur

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPasadena, TX

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:24 PM

Wow. That didn't last long.

Looking forward to the stuff coming next.

#34 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 04 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

Also the idea of level 1 drudgery may have soured them a little after the muddy streets of the Old World.

I'm looking at potentially running this campaign in the nearish future. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed to find out that you guys would be moving to a different game. :(

As I've worked on preparing for the game, I pondered what to do if this sort of situation (a WAY too low level party stumbling onto a part of the plot that should take them a while to reach). Part of me simply wants to suggest to the players, speaking in a meta-game voice, that the party is seriously outgunned and needs to go attend to other things first. It's not elegant at all, but at least the game goes forward.

The other option that comes to my mind is to not let the players find that keep at all until such time as they know where to go looking for it, sort of like a programmed RPG where the icon appears on the map only after the party gains the relevant information. There is an NPC quest-line that would result in the PC's learning about the old keep in the woods and even offering the possibility of them taking at least one NPC (and perhaps a mook or 3 if the kid has bodyguards) to help them survive the first wave.

All that is to ask, Hal, if you had it to do over again (assuming that none of the players were just no longer enjoying playing low level wusses) is there anything you'd do differently? How would you suggest shepherding the mewling infant 1st level characters up to a point where they can survive their mistakes?

#35 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

I hate you all so much.....you've convinced me, once I get off my lazy ass and get myself a job, you have yourselves another patron.

Im very excited to hear this new one, could it be a continuation of 3.5? maybe something else entirely? ooooooh Im squealing XD

also yes Chris YOU did do more then your part in putting an end to warhammer, In all honesty It sounded like you guys were enjoying it right at the end, you fought (well more like cowered with one hand and swung a stick with the other) a vampire, and fought off an entire band of beastmen! perhaps your were just on the cusp of gaining some sort of magical artifact, who knows? I hope you'll return to it one day, but I respect your descision to leave it for now.

also on a sidenote, the reason they play with Chris....Labour of love was recorded what...3-4 years ago? I daresay that in the past 3 years they have become *shudder* friends with him and Ned and David, and they enjoy his company, even if he occasionally gets annoyed with being weak.

#36 The_Nalic

The_Nalic

Goblin

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBradford, W. Yorks

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Some people like power gaming, other people like grit. Warhammer and low level D&D are dangerous, with little in the way of resources to draw upon, and I have to say I like it that way, it makes you think outside the box and exhibit caution rather than just shrugging and saying "ah well got plenty of hp's left". Suddenly the fact you bought 2 flasks of lamp oil becomes really important cause you can dowse those zombies in flaming oil. Did you remember to bring a club or quarterstaff with you for those skeletons? can you fit it in your rucksack and do you have the strength to carry it? Its all part of the fun for me :)

I think as well regarding Warhammer the players took offense at their unfair situation. I think this was mainly evident in the US players, they seemed not to be able to adjust to the completely unfair society they were plunged into. I remember several incidents where players insisted in character had certain rights, or couldn;t be treated in a certain way. Sadly not true in WFRP which is relativly close in societal structure to medieval europe (quite a few people involved in early GW had medieval history degrees). When somone backed up by a bunch of soldiers wants to arrest you, you're pretty much arrested and you aren't geting a phone call and you can;t afford legal council and by the way good luck defending yourself since you can;t read. Again I like this both as a player and a GM but some people don't, it all depends on your playing style and what you want out of it. A lot of people (not specifically referring to the RPGMP3 folks here) want to feel powerful, be larger than life heroes and smash things up in a blaze of power, WFRP and 1st level D&D is not for these folks.

As a point I think hal's GMing style is pretty fair and he's much more lenient with his players than i would have been a lot of the time :)

#37 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Let me just say that my mind was not a good place at that time. It came through my playing, for that I apologize. But I really did not like the way that module was written. As a convict I can buy that I was forced into searching out the child and as a convict I was expendable. Ok, fine but in my eyes I was forced by some little pissant to look for a damn chicken! That whole vampire thing is what really gets my goat. There was no way to "win", that vamp was supposed to kick the living shit out of us. Just before killing us the others would whisk him away. It was just a way to introduce us to the antagonist. In the group we've beat this subject to death but I still say the module welded you to the rails and never let go.

#38 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

I would agree Chris the module seemed VERY "on-rails" so to speak, but while that point was hammered home numerous times the problem reveals itself, its not so much the game system you hated it was the module, Id love to see a return to the world of warhammer, I love the gritty sadistic nature of ever little peasant in that world, and I think if you had the ability to just derail yourselves a little you'd enjoy it more, so perhaps a return the WFRP but not a return to the thousand thrones?

#39 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:47 PM

......so perhaps a return the WFRP but not a return to the thousand thrones?

:oops: I think I just threw up in mouth a little bit......

We'll see, saw a nasty looking box on Hal's desk the other day...

#40 deerpoob

deerpoob

Raven

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:57 PM

XD you dislike it that much? thats a shame...it was such an interesting listen.

well thats....promising I guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge