29 replies to this topic

#21 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:38 AM

Right he doesn't know they are coming, but it also says that the bandits are unwilling to disturb him until the last moments of the battle. If they do at all.

I think I may change that. Honestly these guys are all sixth level at the moment. Which means it needs to be a little harder for them. So I plan to have Ranchefus warned early, and let him take time for him and his slow zombies to reach the surface before loosing him on the party.

The plan is to make it a little harder but not to hard and deadly until they get the hang of it and then skip a few things to get them to where their challenge rating should be at.

And as for the Centaur, well, a wizard without feather fall is a disgrace. :) Of course Feather Fall doesn't work in reverse...heh.

#22 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Sixth? What are they doing in book 1?!

As for the centaur, featherfall wasn't an issue so much as the shaft being three to four feet wide, was too narrow to fit his hind quarters down in any way without breaking his spine where the human part goes upright. In the end they had to cast a reverse enlarge on him to shrink him and then lower him down on a rope.

#23 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

They were doing some other quests and such before we started this adventure. I've been adding a little challenge for them in encounters so it's not to easy.

And they were 4th edition characters. I dropped them down a few levels from 9th because they would have been to ridiculous strong. And xp wise and comparing a level 20 set of levels to a level 30 set of levels...6 and 9 are similar in distance to capping.

Like I said, they enjoy the story more than anything, but they will be taking a short route down into the harder parts of the story. I want to keep them moving and just hit the important story parts as they go deeper until they kind of reach where they should be at.

And open window? I'm looking at the adventure right now and I'm not seeing mention of a window on this, or anywhere. I see arrow slits...

Anyway. Trust me. I know they are higher level and on book 1. Which is why I rushed most of book 1 so far and made the encounters more difficult a bit. This is the third session and we are this far into it it where they only really need to do the keep and the mines before hitting book 2. I just want this to memorable for them and to help them in dealing with stuff as they go deeper into the Night Below.

#24 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Going back up is what levitate is for, or fly, if they're already 6th level. Which makes me wonder how many sidequest they're bumbling into to be that powerful if you say they're still getting the hang of 3rd edition.

Edit: Oh bugger, you just had to post and answer it right before I asked. :(

#25 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:40 PM

Going back up is what levitate is for, or fly, if they're already 6th level. Which makes me wonder how many sidequest they're bumbling into to be that powerful if you say they're still getting the hang of 3rd edition.

Edit: Oh bugger, you just had to post and answer it right before I asked. :(

Yep. There still remained the issue of trying to fit him through the hole. And the fact that the party were only about 4th level and didn't have a flying spell. A flying centaur would've just been scary :).

#26 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

The party ended up winning the day at the keep. Eventually. Heh. They also decided to set fire to the storehouse and go down the trap door, to escape the guards. They worked their way through, Ranchefus had gone up stairs to deal with the fire and the orcs had followed.

The players went up on the top of the tower, killed the two lookouts, and then the party started. The guards on the tower top screamed for help, and Ranchefus ordered them all to go slay them, sending them out of the courtyard, through the great hall and into the tower base.

But not before using his wings of flying to go up and cast flame strike off a scroll to blow the already rickety floor out of top of the tower, dropping the PC's into the tower bottom below. Just as they were picking themselves up, the rest of the Bandits came barging in, war dogs leading.

It was an epic battle. They gave as good as they got, and in the end they were thinking with some ingenuity. The mage and the gnome fighter got an idea, the paladin held off the guards and the gnome ran up the spiral staircase to the top where the top of the tower once was with the mage. The mage gave the gnome a jump spell, and the gnome leaped and grappled Ranchefus in mid air.

I let him do it, because it was a good way to think outside the box, even though Ranchefus has a ring of freedom of movement...which means he always escapes a grapple.

The cleric at one point used his shape stone to close up the hallway into the tower, cutting the archers in the hallway off from the melee fighters who had come into the tower.

The gnome brought Ranchefus down and they nearly had him, except he chugged the potion of gaseous form I gave him instead of the polymorph, and escaped to where his archers were. They healed up a bit, then the mage, who had stone shape too, opened the tower hallway and the battle raged on, Ranchefus throwing what he had left at them and then finally falling to the paladins blade in the great hall.

I'd say they did alright, and I only had to give a couple nudges here and there. They asked several questions about how they could use their spells, because I encouraged them to think of ways they might use what they have outside the box, and they did well.

I wanted to give them the encouragement they needed to do crazy things and so I let the grapple go on by, and I gave Ranchefus the scroll of flamestrike to drop the PC's into the tower for intimidation effect, but other than that, it worked out real well.

I guess I swapped the potion of polymorph with a gaseous form one but, it was a decision I made before hand. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. And everyone got all excited about it and said they had a great time. They asked if we could play tomorrow night, and I had to say yes. So I'd say it was a complete success.

#27 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

Hmm...the characters decided they wanted to make the keep their own, we played a short game on Sunday. Then they searched it floor, walls, and ceiling in every room. I figured they would have to realize there was a secret door there eventually, so I let them know they found the passage that leads into the underdark from the keep.

They went down, ran into a few nasties and using tracking, followed towards the mines.

Leaving the Orcs behind them.

Now they did leave the NPC rogue that I put in whenever people can't make it and end up short staffed in the keep, to get things put together and organized and then see if he could hire some laborers and such...

But the Orcs will probably reinfest the keep I thinking. I'm trying to decide, how much of a meanie I should be about the reinfestation...

Any evil suggestions?

#28 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Yep. Have the orcs send reinforcements, then barricade any known entrance so well that reentry is nearly impossible. Then have them audibly laugh when the players try to come back.

#29 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hmm...the characters decided they wanted to make the keep their own, we played a short game on Sunday. Then they searched it floor, walls, and ceiling in every room. I figured they would have to realize there was a secret door there eventually, so I let them know they found the passage that leads into the underdark from the keep

Doesn't that door need 2 keys? One from the mine and one from the keep. Just like the door in the mine. If so then how did they know where it would go without opening it? And if not, and if my mind's playing tricks on me, then it was the orc door which needed the two keys from separate locations to open it.

It's worth noting that Jeleneth was never anywhere near the keep. What little evidence there is indicates that she went through the mine. So none of the people at the keep could have told the party anything about her.

#30 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Doesn't that door need 2 keys? One from the mine and one from the keep. Just like the door in the mine. If so then how did they know where it would go without opening it? And if not, and if my mind's playing tricks on me, then it was the orc door which needed the two keys from separate locations to open it.

It's the door towards where the orcs are. However according to the books, the orcs would reinforce or replace the bandits in the keep or mines if allowed to do so, so they can open from their side it would follow.

And since they couldn't get to the orcs, they headed towards the mine. Because of the door.

It's worth noting that Jeleneth was never anywhere near the keep. What little evidence there is indicates that she went through the mine. So none of the people at the keep could have told the party anything about her.

No one did say anything. Until my NPC rogue showed up from town and asked how it went and did they find Jelenneth. At which point their faces fell. They were feeling rather high and mighty up until then. Which is why they searched the whole keep, floors, walls, and ceilings looking for clues of signs. Thus finding the secret door.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge