16 replies to this topic

#1 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

As RuneQuest is back in a shiny new leatherbound edition, how about a RuneQuest campaign?

Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) but the fixed Mongoose 2nd edition would be good to hear in play.

Plus i would like to hear how Hal's group cope with Glorantha. :-)

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:41 AM

As RuneQuest is back in a shiny new leatherbound edition, how about a RuneQuest campaign?

Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) but the fixed Mongoose 2nd edition would be good to hear in play.

Plus i would like to hear how Hal's group cope with Glorantha. :-)

Well depending on the day either whining or violence. :D

#3 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 25 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

I thought you meant the 2nd edition from 1st time round :)

Percentile system based around 5 percentile blocks (d20 anyone? :)), but still the best "flavour" of Hellenic Greece I've ever come across. :)

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

Any edition would be acceptable (except Mongoose 1st edition, yuck!) ...

I flicked through a copy of the first Mongoose attempt - I'm not even sure it should be called an edition, somehow - and the first thing I noticed was that they had completely failed to credit Steve Perrin. Oh well done Mongoose :roll: ... and back on the shelf with you. Haven't looked at any of their RQ books since that shameful episode. Hopefully this time they've done things properly.

And with that out of the way, yes indeed I'd love to hear someone playing RuneQuest, especially an adventure set in Glorantha. Mind you, I don't think that any of the groups here suffer from a shortage of games to play :D

#5 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:57 AM

Our games club is currently playing the Avalon Hill RQ 3rd edition. I quite like it as a system. It isn't perfect, but it is the adventure and the GM which makes the game fun. So I guess this could also cross-thread into the "Does system matter on audio?" thread...and I would have to go with no it doesn't matter.

#6 Manzcar

Manzcar

Stirge

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Being a noob as I am I am willing to listen to any system. I didn't even know there were all these different systems.

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

Avalon Hill/Chaosium/Games Workshop RQ 3. The Mongoose version really screwed up (keeping locational health but no total life. What's that about?)

Put Total HP back into the Mongoose RQ and make one other change (I can't remember what it was) and it should run fine.

And please don't to Glorantha. It's almost as Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms.

#8 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it. Combat is significantly improved, and magic. Oh my magic. It gets right back to classic runequest in feel and the balance of power between common magic and divine magic, no more physical runes, and sorcery is fixed. Spirit magic offers many possibilities to a creative player and all is tied in to cults that limit your behaviour as they power you up in the expected behaviour.

Check it out, it is SO much better than Mongoose's first attempt it's almost a different game.

Yes i am a fan of old style runequest, if you couldn't guess. :lol:

#9 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

Glorantha Disneyfied as Forgotten Realms? How do you mean?

I always thought it was as rich in it's own way as Middle Earth. Unless you mean the ducks, but that's not my impression from your comment.

#10 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it.

Read what I wrote. I made no claim about locational health being absent. I mentioned that total health was missing.

I always thought it was as rich in it's own way as Middle Earth. Unless you mean the ducks, but that's not my impression from your comment.

Too much magic.

#11 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

Locational HP are still there but the disease and poison rules have changed a little to work with it.

Read what I wrote. I made no claim about locational health being absent. I mentioned that total health was missing.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant that hadn't changed but the rules that clashed with it in the last edition seem to work better this time: those involving attacks on the characters system as a whole eg disease and poison.

Too much magic.

Fair enough, it's a personal taste thing. The pervasiveness of, and role magic plays in the setting is one of the things I love about the setting. If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

#12 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:31 AM

I'm an RQ3 fan. Good Lord the fun we had with that version! :D

Of course, if I had to pick a best "new" version of RQ, it would be BRP from Chaosium :D

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

Not having ever played RQ I'm not really qualified to comment on it but the setting of Glorantha has always seemed very interesting. It does seem distinct from other high magic settings like Forgotten Realms, as Psychman points out, because of the distribution of the magic.

As I've said, I've never played but it does intrigue me.

Now the ducks...

#14 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:44 PM

If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

The thing is that you basicaly have to think of it that way to avoid feeling sick as if you've eaten too much chocolate or sugar. And the rules do not tell you that that is what it is. It's only when you look at the Spirit Magic 30-50% chance to cast thing and begin to think of it more as a prayer than a magic spell with lots of visual effects that it becomes acceptable.

#15 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

If you think about basic magic as a bit like the superstitious rhymes and chants people used to have about everything they did it may help, except that they actually work.

The thing is that you basicaly have to think of it that way to avoid feeling sick as if you've eaten too much chocolate or sugar. And the rules do not tell you that that is what it is. It's only when you look at the Spirit Magic 30-50% chance to cast thing and begin to think of it more as a prayer than a magic spell with lots of visual effects that it becomes acceptable.

Ever since I read the old RQ3 Glorantha boxed set, I have thought of RQ magic in this way and it is pretty much stated in there that this is the way magic is viewed in the system and setting. After all, all the magic systems in Glorantha have a religious source, including sorcery.

I do agree that this isn't made clear crystal clear in the basic rules but in 3rd edition there were those sections where the practitioner of each magic explained how the world and their magic worked from their point of view.

Sorry for rambling a bit. :P

#16 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

I do agree that this isn't made clear crystal clear in the basic rules but in 3rd edition there were those sections where the practitioner of each magic explained how the world and their magic worked from their point of view.

I don't recall those sections at all in the copies I've got (the big giant Avallon Hill paperback with it's lack of flavour text or a setting, and it's 3 or 4 illustrations. And the Games Workshop much rpettier hardback edition of the same thing which is inexplicably about a third of the width but hasn't got anything missing and all the pages tally up, and it has loads of gorgeous pictures too).

#17 Psychman

Psychman

Toad

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:54 AM

I don't recall those sections at all in the copies I've got (the big giant Avallon Hill paperback with it's lack of flavour text or a setting, and it's 3 or 4 illustrations. And the Games Workshop much rpettier hardback edition of the same thing which is inexplicably about a third of the width but hasn't got anything missing and all the pages tally up, and it has loads of gorgeous pictures too).

I don't know what may have been left out in the paerback edition but the boxed deluxe set definately had a section fof flavour text for each magical approach in the introduction to the Magic Book. What a pity if they removed it in the single book.

Unfortunately I have sold on my RQ3 in a clear out, so can't give you a brief summary of what it says.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge