#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Interesting to see something new, although I had to grit my teeth to get through the advertising. If that's a regular part of the format then I don't think I'll be looking at further episodes.

Mind you, the whole idea of a visual medium for presenting "actual play" is one I've never thought entirely successful. I'm very unlikely to want to sit down and watch something like this and I certainly can't do so while I'm doing something else, whereas I usually pop RPG audio on the old iPod and have a listen while I work. Do the pictures add anything, I wonder? Not for me. Still, others may find it better suited to their needs and tastes, so good luck to them. A little diversity is rarely a bad thing.

#3 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:58 PM

I'll be honest here: it still surprises me that I find it entertaining to listen to AP sessions, so while it is entirely possible that I might get similar entertainment out of watching...I doubt it. Like reading a story, one of the attractions of listen to a game session is visualizing the goings-on. I don't know. I doubt I'll experiment on a 4e game.

But I do give props for doing something different.

#4 tadcan

tadcan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:39 PM

I tried to watch for a few minutes, but it didn't hold my interest. I don't like standard D+D 4e and looking at miniatures while the players warm up just reminds me why I don't like this type of gaming.

I listen for Hal, Lindsy and the wacky Texans, not to listen to combat scene after combat scene.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

Nice idea and great table set up :)

I have considered video in the past but have always put it on the back burner as it is less versatile than audio for the audience. I might consider some kind of video session for a special or one off at some point. I have the gear to do it...

Also the bandwidth would be a killer to run it off the site rather than a remote host.

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#6 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

Personally, I think that, for a special, that might work; it'd be novel, and the programs exist to turn it into mp3s if we want to. But only for a special, if you ask me. I think the novelty would wear off rather quickly. After an hour or two of seeing the Texans in action, I think the desire for more would be minimal. Meaning no offense to the players, of course, but aside from being able to see the minis move around the board, video doesn't really add much to the experience.

Just my two bits.

#7 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:23 AM

We did one a while back (2006) for Call of Cthulhu - it's certainly a novelty. I seem to recall I ended up wearing a towel on my head for mysterious reasons (which I'm sure are explained on the recorded version).

#8 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:19 PM

We did one a while back (2006) for Call of Cthulhu - it's certainly a novelty. I seem to recall I ended up wearing a towel on my head for mysterious reasons (which I'm sure are explained on the recorded version).

Does a copy of the video exist? (If only to patrons of Yog, there's a good incentive. ;) )

#9 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:45 PM

Aye, it does (for our lovely Patrons) - along with 10+ gigabytes of other exclusive material. Currently editing the Simon Barnard (Cosmic Hobo/The Scarifyers) post-interview chat that we usually do for Yoggie Patrons. ("here endeth the plug" ;))

#10 Caelvan

Caelvan

Goblin

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

The concept is novel for the first few minutes, but after that ... not much to tell. I found myself switching my browser around and just listening. It might be good for someone just starting out playing to show an example of game playing (if they don't have an experienced gamer to show them).

#11 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

Wow, hmm, the responses are getting slightly negative for a thread where no one was really pushing for any of the same video format on here. The first few posts said it alright in that the at least someone has tried doing this. And for me, the rest should only be about the quality of the play. To an existing video where you can just shut off the video and listen to the audio stream, it can't really be worse off than just having their audio right?

#12 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

I've always thought that a video version could be done well, but it would have to be more like "Big Brother" (and all the technology, support & editing that entails). Alas, I don't know many games people with those kind of resources.

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

I've always thought that a video version could be done well, but it would have to be more like "Big Brother" (and all the technology, support & editing that entails). Alas, I don't know many games people with those kind of resources.

That might be the problem. I've no wish to be especially negative here, but whenever I've seen RPG sessions filmed they have essentially been presenting a basically auditory experience through a visual medium. A few podcasts have encountered this when they have tried moving over to video, too, resulting in the hosts just sitting there awkwardly, badly lit. The question should be: what do the pictures add?

In this case they add some nice, if limited, views of a pretty decent miniatures setup. That's great (and I'm always jealous of people who've done more with their minis than I have) but still makes it audio with pictures. Given the extra bandwidth and storage required, along with the restricted circumstances for watching a video compared to listening to an MP3 as I mentioned previously, that doesn't add up to enough of a plus for me personally.

Things aren't static, though. Somebody will develop these ideas and have the talent and resources to add in graphics (map-based animations, for example) and the like and to make the visual element more important. If you watch an early film - Bulldog Drummond is a good example - you'll see that many of them are really just stage plays. Pretty soon, though, directors began to understand that a movie could offer more, new perspectives, cuts, background music and so on. The experience of watching a movie moved away from that of watching a stage performance. It'll probably happen with this sort of presentation too, eventually.

And just because I happen to enjoy listening to the wireless it doesn't make talking pictures a bad idea ;)

#14 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

A few podcasts have encountered this when they have tried moving over to video, too, resulting in the hosts just sitting there awkwardly, badly lit. The question should be: what do the pictures add?

I think pictures can add a lot. As I said, I would have thought it would have to go down the Big Brother style route with all the camera, wireless audio and editorial commentary/shot editing and "summaries" that people watch on Big Brother. I don't know anyone who watched the BB continuous feeds (they're extremely boring), but just the "edited highlights with voice over" programmes. On top of that you could add in more "soap elements" outside the game if you want.

Don't worry. No one's going to do it - the resources are too high for any potential return - but if they did, I'd certainly be interested to see. :)

#15 Elizur

Elizur

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPasadena, TX

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

I wanted to like this. I really did.

I may look at this again but for me audio is the best medium.

A few podcasts have encountered this when they have tried moving over to video, too, resulting in the hosts just sitting there awkwardly, badly lit. The question should be: what do the pictures add?

I think pictures can add a lot. As I said, I would have thought it would have to go down the Big Brother style route with all the camera, wireless audio and editorial commentary/shot editing and "summaries" that people watch on Big Brother. I don't know anyone who watched the BB continuous feeds (they're extremely boring), but just the "edited highlights with voice over" programmes. On top of that you could add in more "soap elements" outside the game if you want.

Don't worry. No one's going to do it - the resources are too high for any potential return - but if they did, I'd certainly be interested to see. :)

#16 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:03 PM

FORUM OF SHAME. :D Oops :evil:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge