9 replies to this topic

#1 Aranu

Aranu

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAuburn Al

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

I realize I am a bit behind the times but I was wondering if a character creation was ever recorded/posted?

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:21 AM

A character generation session was not posted or recorded as it was done over quite a bit of time. However, a couple of sessions had leveling up. :D

#3 Aranu

Aranu

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAuburn Al

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thanks

#4 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:35 AM

A Rolemaster character creation, while not taking as much time as most people think, is really really not that exciting to listen to--I recorded a couple of them when I started my game over Skype, and honestly, even I find them boring. It involves a really epic number of die rolls, quite a bit of explaining, and a fair amount of, "just put this number down here; we'll use it later."

#5 steampunkdragon

steampunkdragon

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:37 PM

Recently we started with RMFRP, and one of my party is dispairing over the fact he cannot seem to wrap his head around how the system works. Dipsite being probably my best roleplayer, and not a system person. This seems to irratate him. Yet our system people have been cool with our house rules and stuff so far. Character creation took about five hours total and leveling has taken about two hours and one hour across two sessions

#6 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:24 AM

One thing to be aware of is that RMFRP is pretty different to RM2 which is what Hal et al are playing.

But creating characters for either is a b*tch to be honest! :)

Once you start playing, it's bit maths heavy but the wordings of the crits make up for everything!

:twisted:

#7 steampunkdragon

steampunkdragon

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:46 PM

Yeah i've noticed some differences the bulk appears to be mostly the same. At least as far as i've seen. The math's heaviness of the playing hasnt really been an issie. Its more been the player or two thats been trying to beat their brains out to understand character creation.

#8 Manzcar

Manzcar

Stirge

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

Maybe it is because I've never played a pen and paper rpg prior to getting involved with the Clan of Ham game I play online, but I found the character creation to be straight forward and quite easy. It did take some time but at the end of it my character really came to life for me.

I even had to recreate my character, used the wrong version and it got easier.

8O

#9 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

When you get out and about and play a couple more system, Manz, you'll notice the difference between Rolemaster and a good portion of the other systems. It's not really more difficult than most thing; it just takes more time. There are so many initial dice rolls (which must be compared to charts), modifiers that add up with each other (taken from numerous charts), and references to one or more additional books (in which you must track down charts). I'm just thankful the books have indexes, which is something more games should do.

DnD can also take a long time, but it's less due to charts and dice rolls than it is sheer numbers of options one must consider.

Warhammer 2e can be ridiculously fast compared to the previous two - we're talking 15 minutes - despite or perhaps due to copious amounts of random rolls.

Call of Cthulhu, the game with the most skill points ever, is also quick and easy since I think char creation is literally about 6 pages long and you're done. (Totally just looked it up, and it goes from page 34 to page 40. Called it!)

That being said, I quite enjoy the way Rolemaster approaches chargen, because it treats it as if your dude had to actually live and develop over the years instead of poofing into existance ready to go. 2nd edition was the epitome of this, I think, given that you had to level up through 3 different stages of your life before you got to play. It's still sort of there in RMC, but not to the same degree.

So, I guess in summation, Rolemaster takes a long time and *can* potentially be daunting or frustrating, but it's kinda worth it. Unless you're a hybrid or semi-spellcaster in a game where you don't get spell lists for free. Then you're kinda crappy.

#10 steampunkdragon

steampunkdragon

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

I love Cthulhu creation, and wish i had more chances to play it. I miss Cthulhu a lot. I made one in about ten minutes and did reasonably well. Although i could have done with having it explained to me a little better. (althought honestly. Not letting your players read the rulebook seems to help for Cthulhu)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge