• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RichInKCK

RichInKCK

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 12:06 AM

As I stated in my intro I'm new to pnp role-playing having not played in 23 years. Anyway, I start my first campaign in a couple of days based in the Forgotten Realms and I am wondering how this Twin Sword Style feat is used.

I planned on equipping myself with a rapier since rogues are proficient with them already and also with a dagger. The rapier proficiency should take care of the prerequisite for Twin Sword Style. Now then since this is really a defensive feat do I take the attack penalties associated with two-weapon fighting? Also, do I even attack with this feat as a two-weapon attack?

Meaning when I get into combat do I just get one attack and use the dagger as a shield more or less and not incur any attack penalties?

#2 Rich

Rich

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationBradford or Hexham UK

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:20 AM

Ok first a quick decleration, this answer assumes you are playing 3.5 and using the Twin Sword Style feat from Players Guide to Faerun which should be the case since the 3.0 version did not require Martial Weapon Proficiency (If I remember right :roll: )

The feat states that you must be proficient with martial weapons.
Unfortunatley Rogues are not proficient with martial weapons, (instead having a small set of specific weapon profieciencies). Thus as I read it you would not be able to take the feat unless you took a level of a class that is proficient with martial weapons.

As for how it all works; the feat states that you use it whilst fighting with two weapons so you need to take the penalties for two weapon fighting. The AC bonus works very much like the dodge feat giving you +2 AC against a single opponent. Its a top choice for two weapon fighters in Faerun if they meet the region requirements.

Hope that clears things up a bit,

Rich 8)

#3 akakevin

akakevin

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:32 AM

We are almost the same problem of RichInKnk, And it's all about the Twin sword on how to use it in a perfect way? By the way thanks for the informations about the Roques.

Thanks
fantasy sword

#4 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:48 AM

The feat states that you must be proficient with martial weapons.
Unfortunatley Rogues are not proficient with martial weapons, (instead having a small set of specific weapon profieciencies). Thus as I read it you would not be able to take the feat unless you took a level of a class that is proficient with martial weapons.

Careful here though, because there are other feats (specific one escape me at the moment) where the language states "must be proficient with all martial weapons". Given that, a lawyerly player would be well within his or her rights to say, "Well it doesn't say all martial weapons, and as a rogue I am 'proficient with martial weapons': rapiers and shortswords." Were this question to come before me, I'd be inclined to rule in favor of the rogue...provided we made clear that there would be no dual-wielding sneak attacks for example.

#5 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 01 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

lol. That post from Rich was dated 2005. It's just that a spammer performed thread necromancy to bring it back. Forum of shame for the post from someone only registered on the board today!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge