16 replies to this topic

#1 david

david

Toad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hello -

My group and I are interested in perhaps recording our play sessions. I am quite technically capable, but I have yet to assemble the appropriate hardware and software.

I was hoping for any suggestions as to a functional, but minimal, recording setup, i.e. hardware, software, and other essentials.

I'll be posting this over at yog-sothoth.com as well for the sake of thoroughness. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

David W

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

On the software front I'd recommend Audacity as a good place to start. Its free and relatively simple to use. Once you've gotten used to the free Audacity you can happily move onto the not-so-free Adobe Audition 3, which while being a bloody brilliant bit of kit--if you can acquire a copy--also verges on the more complex side of editing; which can be a tad overwhelming for somebody new to the software.

#3 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

On the hardware side, I'd submit that a good microphone plugged into a mediocre recorder will serve you better than a cheap mic with an uber recorder.

A recorder that will do the job just fine (unless you simply must have binaural surround in which case wait for Hal and PoC to weigh in) can be had at your local big box store for anywhere from $60-$80. Another thirty or so at RadioShack or your local music store will bring in a decent conference mic with the necessary adapters. Then, as Danny said, download Audacity, et voila!, you're set to record with quality equivalent to or slightly better than the early WLD recordings.

#4 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 14 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

I agree with Ieqo, a good mic is absolutely necessary.

Here's how The Gaming Grunts do it: http://www.thegaming... ... Technology

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

Might I offer a small warning; the Noise Removal process in Audacity isn't worth chips. It might be wise to find a specific software solution for that.

#6 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:16 PM

Might I offer a small warning; the Noise Removal process in Audacity isn't worth chips. It might be wise to find a specific software solution for that.

Any suggestions?

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

'fraid not, otherwise I'd have posted links. I never bothered using Noise Removal--because it was so bad--in the early Tropis episodes, by about episode 6 I'd moved onto Adobe Audition 3--which is an amazing bit of kit, if you can get a copy.

#8 david

david

Toad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm sure among them I will find an inviting solution.

#9 CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:33 AM

My suggestion:
Find a female zombie head, find ear recorders, stick recorders in zombie ears.
Put said head in a casserole dish, name it 'Vecnessa'.

#10 Fin

Fin

Stirge

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:03 PM

BAG use http://www.bhphotovi...s=REG&A=details

Lovely piece of kit with more fuctions than you will every need and it's even on sale! PoC has one also.

Fin :twisted:

#11 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

Great piece of kit.

#12 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:18 PM

I will be getting one of those for the Gaming Grunts... eventually.

#13 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

Lovely piece of kit with more fuctions than you will every need and it's even on sale! PoC has one also.

We Thistledown folks use one of these as well. Do you use an external microphone with the Zoom H2?

#14 lost_zeppo

lost_zeppo

Kobold

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 07 May 2010 - 04:52 PM

That looks like a pretty good piece of kit. Bit pricey though. Wonder whether it's worth saving up for, or if I should just get a decent mic for my current recorder.

#15 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

Amazon are doing them with a 4GB card for £159.99 at the moment. The way I see it, it's only 20 quid more than a 4 GB iPod, you can plug headphones into it and use it as a meida player and you can record with it, too. Definitely worth it, and if I could persuade my gaming group to be recorded, I'd have one in a shot.

#16 lost_zeppo

lost_zeppo

Kobold

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • LocationScotland, UK

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

Amazon are doing them with a 4GB card for £159.99 at the moment. The way I see it, it's only 20 quid more than a 4 GB iPod, you can plug headphones into it and use it as a meida player and you can record with it, too. Definitely worth it, and if I could persuade my gaming group to be recorded, I'd have one in a shot.

Well, I'll need to find out if the gamers in the society I'll be joining are cool with being recorded as well. By the time I get to that stage, I'll probably have saved enough to get one.

#17 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

I want to get one of these (Zooom H2). I believe the Yoggie group use one for field recordings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge