• Create Account
Photo

Second Edition Warhammer books going cheap!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:17 AM

Those of you who have listened to the Warhammer sessions and fancied picking up the game yourself, or else rounding out your collection, might like to know that many of the second edition books are currently being sold for $5 each:

The Fantasy Flight Store

Note that they don't have the core book, but apparently it's available as a PDF. And of course they're slashing the prices because the rather extravagant third edition is due any day now. Still, thought this might be of interest :)

#2 tadcan

tadcan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 05:26 AM

Thanks I got that. $55 for shipping is a bit steep, but at those prices its worthwhile.

#3 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

And of course they're slashing the prices because the rather extravagant third edition is due any day now. Still, thought this might be of interest :)

The rather extravagant and crap.

#4 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:07 AM

I love Warhammer! I wish I wasn't broke. :cry:

#5 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 27 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

Is it even an RPG anymore?

I looked at the package and it resembles a..."board game"?!?!?!?!?

#6 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:00 PM

Is it even an RPG anymore?

I looked at the package and it resembles a..."board game"?!?!?!?!?

A board game with cards, and clip together plastic character sheets. And rules to force you to roleplay a certain way...

I'm glad I didn't get it.

Basicaly it isn't a roleplaying game. It's an insult.

#7 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:31 AM

I went ahead and pre-ordered it, because I have more money than I do sense. But I've been very pleased with FFG games... I think their Dark Heresy products are nothing short of amazing. So I'm willing to take a gamble and see what they've done with WHFRP. I've discovered that a lot of the initial, knee-jerk negative reactions you can find on the web have very little to do with the actual quality of a product, and more often to do with someone being unhappy that their edition of a game, which they've spent a lot of money on, is being phased out.

I'll be sure to remark, once I've got it, on how board-gamey it is. One thing I've always liked about Warhammer games (and like I said I'm a big Dark Heresy fan) is that combat is completely doable with the imagination and without the need for miniatures. Hopefully this new edition won't change that in the same way 4e D&D did.

#8 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:25 AM

Once Amazon gets off their asses and sends it to me, I'll run a one-shot and let you guys know how it plays. I'm already seeing things I really like and things I really don't. They've posted a demo adventure at the FFG website, which has some pre-generated characters and a couple social encounters for those interested in taking a peek.

http://www.fantasyfl... ... _short.pdf

#9 Jon_a_Ross

Jon_a_Ross

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalgary

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

Having played the demo of the new warhammer game, I have to agree with those that call it a board game instead of a rpg. It is the same feelings I get when I look at D&D 4th edition... Simplify it down for those who are used to video games.
Which is all the more amusing as some of the board games that come out of Fantasy Flight are more akin to RPGs. I do wish they had decided to continue both lines at the same time instead of one over the other, as the board game can only get so many expansion packs before their target market gets board with it and moves on.

#10 Harvo

Harvo

Toad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSpokane, Wa

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:54 PM

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I was away for a few months. And bought my 2 handbooks + Career book for 30 each ;_;. If I knew there was more books at 5 a pop I would of jump on it. I don't like downloading pdfs for any tapletop. Specialy the first time I ran a game and my Acrobat pro decided to act up and not work. -.- Lucky the other person there had a laptop too so I used thiers to play the first session.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge