#21 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

I believe the general consensus among the texans was that they were tired of the general atmosphere of hopelessness in the setting among other things. But I'm sure that when they decide they're ready to return to it they will. Patience grasshopper...

Look, they're the bunch of folk who played like idiots and tried to treat it like a diffferent setting (then got upset because it wasn't). I mean David running around shouting one word of his question at a time and just asking to be killed by the guardfs was silly. It was funny but the Warhammer World isn't a silly world. It's all about the gritty realism. There's no water elemental powered speed boat/hovercraft crap going on here :P.

That bit in Pfeifeldorf (which isn't on any of the maps nor even in the Guide to thbe Emprie, which does include a Pfeildorf somewhere near the Reikwald forest and southeast of Altdorf) was just really badly written. No GM should be forced to endure a section of adventure so linear and restrictive as that.

I really would like to see this campaign make a comeback 'though.

This is a little strong I think. The group have not had much experience with the Old World previous to this adventure and the setting was new to them and to be honest I think it took them more than a little by surprise.

None of them (perhaps bar James who also play 40K) had any really understanding of the setting going into it and to be honest I was hoping that the feeling of shiny newness would be a solid juxtaposition against the grim reality.

People play games for different reasons. I have played some extremely dark games in my time that were very serious. The Texans just have a different playing style to how you would play the game - it does not make them idiots, it makes them different people. Get over yourself!

These are games people! We are not defusing atomic devices here. Sometimes things are not going to go the way you might want them (or I might want them). Roll with the punches and move on. It is part of the strength of this site that people can see how others play their games and learn from it (either including things or trying something different).

Pfeifeldorf was a rather badly taken section of the adventure but the whole idea is sound. It is supposed to highlight the struggle of the normal folks in the passing of the crusade and to emphasize the fact that there are also plans and plots in the Old World. It introduces the distinctions between nobles and the common folks and it also is the first place where the party get a glimpse of the ultimate antagonists of the piece. I would have removed it but the idea of the chicken was to build them up to investigating the murder that they never managed to get to (sadly) prior to helping save the duped noble from the real threat in the mausoleum.

Chill out kids - its Halloween :)

Hal :hal:

#22 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

You know I don't think I ever said this and I apologize.

I really enjoyed Warhammer and would like to thank you guys for playing it and sharing your sessions with us and I look forward to all the games you guys play whether they be Warhammer or not. Thank you.

#23 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:20 PM

I was referring more to a few occassions when certain players tried to get away with things that you just wouldn't do in real life and which were pretty unfeasible. And then they seemed upset and surprised when they didn't work.

Less idiotic and more like the occassional daft moment. I wasn't referring to the group as a whole and to the entireity of every session. There were definitely a few "idiot balL" moments, and that's only to be expected, but there did seem to be afew later on (probably due to frustration) which gave the impression that some daft mistakes had not been learned from. That's all.

#24 ScottS

ScottS

Raven

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:08 PM

When I listened to this, I thought the game was pretty much medieval Paranoia (incompetent backstabbing characters being sent on convoluted and impossible-to-complete missions). The only things missing were the Computer and the malfunctioning/exploding weaponry.

#25 coffeedemon

coffeedemon

Kobold

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCourtenay, BC Canada

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:23 AM

This is my favorite Texan RPG on the site as well! Too bad you didn't like it, it sure is / was fun to listen to!

#26 CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

I had fun listening to the campaign but I think the difficulty and that they were being heavily railroaded, with no turns or detours available, made the players very frustrated.
They weren't acting like idiots, they were just bored/trying to make something happen in my opinion.

#27 Bruenor

Bruenor

Toad

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationNeu-Isenburg (near Frankfurt, 0, 0, 0, 0) / Germany

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

They weren't acting like idiots, they were just bored/trying to make something happen in my opinion.

Yes, i think that is the point.When an adventure is bad, most players tend to do things which they normaly wouldn't do.

The Thousand Thrones is a bad adventure, because:

- "you start as a bunch of criminals annd pressed in a service". Thats bad for an start. In my opinion the players must have the feeling that they do it as volunteers.

- at the begining of the adventure, there was to much "free space" in Marienburg, which mostly is boring for the players. In my opinion, an adventure should start with a "big bang" to lure the characters and the players in the adventure.

They are very good adventures for WFRP online. Many of them are fanmade. Pherphas try a new contact with the game. Other Heroes (all friends)and pherhaps with a mage iin the party.

#28 Harvo

Harvo

Toad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSpokane, Wa

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

I know I am bringing up a old thread but. I didn't realize (First time GMing) many people who played this campaign don't like it. Probably why after chapter one the other (More experience D&D GM) player wanted to start a different campaign. But it is pretty much railroading through >.>. Ima try Path of the damn campaign. I have another group ima try get interested in WFRP. My first group is playing their other one(Which I had to leave cause I got a better job and just now I am getting almost a set schedule for a group) the group is already on chapter 4 so I am too far behind to jump on it.

So hopefuly Path of the damn books I order are great. The pdfs I been reading seems to be enjoyable(I REALLY HATE PDFS)

#29 Soda

Soda

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:25 AM

I just want to say, I had a great time listening to these recordings, and I thank you for posting the sessions.

I'm sad to see you have stopped playing this game, but I understand it must have been really fustrating to play in this campaign. I must say though, that most of that fustration is because of the TTT campaign, and not the game itself.

The problem with the TTT campaign is that even though you are free to do what you want, overwhelming forces are pushing you along the plot against your will, ready to.. board you from the rear is you ever sidetrack or step out of line. You are more or less powerless to do anything about this, and are forced to do whatever the campaign wants you to do, which is really fustrating, and not fun to play. The warhammer world is grim and perilous, but it is not out to screw you over like in this campaign.

The Pleifendorf part is especially horrible unless you find a way to use the fustration to find creative ways to pay Pleifendorf back. My group stole our stuff back at night, killed Gretha (the giant chicken woman) set fire to most of the villiage and ran away into the forest while cursing the village, becoming outlaws, and dropping the rest of the TTT campaign

If you guys ever decide to return to WFRP, which I hope you do, I would suggest single adventures combined with The Enemy Within campaign. (modified by the GM to suit the group) It is much better written, and you have way more freedom. Also, I would suggest giving some xp each session, regardless of achivements. That way progression goes a little faster, and the players can feel their character's development better

#30 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

If you guys ever decide to return to WFRP, which I hope you do, I would suggest single adventures combined with The Enemy Within campaign. (modified by the GM to suit the group) It is much better written, and you have way more freedom. Also, I would suggest giving some xp each session, regardless of achivements. That way progression goes a little faster, and the players can feel their character's development better

Excellent suggestion, which is echoed by many. Doling out XP every session won't necessarily change the way the characters advance in-game, either, since the GM still has the final say in when and where the players can spend those points to advance their stat line; it will simply provide the players with a greater sense of accomplishment.

#31 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:40 AM

If you guys ever decide to return to WFRP, which I hope you do, I would suggest ... with The Enemy Within campaign.

Although it is not necessarily any more cheerful. Just ask this guy, and be sure to read James Wallis's reply. :D

#32 philbass

philbass

philmycrackin

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:38 PM

If you guys ever decide to return to WFRP, which I hope you do, I would suggest ... with The Enemy Within campaign.

Although it is not necessarily any more cheerful. Just ask this guy, and be sure to read James Wallis's reply. :D

Sorry if it is bad form to advert other RPG actual play MP3, but this site (http://warhammer-ene...n.blogspot.com/ - also on iTunes podcasts as 'Journey to Madness') is playing through the Enemy Within and are half way through Death on the Reik after 17 episodes at an episode a week. The sound is a little off but I'm enjoying it so far (including the river trading rules). The Bogenhaffen section (episodes 5 to 10) worked very well for this group.

Apologies for repetition if someone has already highlighted this.

PhilBass

#33 CrazyMLC

CrazyMLC

Goblin

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:11 AM

url]http://warhammer-enemy-within.blogspot.com/[/url]

Listening to this, I realize James has a twin.

#34 Soda

Soda

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

philbass wrote:
url]http://warhammer-enemy-within.blogspot.com/[/url]

Listening to this, I realize James has a twin.

You mean the guy who play Zed? I think they sound similar too.

Also, I've though for a long time that James' voice sounds like Steven Seagal, but that might be just me :)

#35 tadcan

tadcan

Toad

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:36 AM

I have mixed feelings about this. WHFP is the first campaign I listened to. The mismatch between the players and the scenario was part of why I enjoyed it. However I know being in shit game is no fun. So if I wouldn't mind if the campaign was changed.

#36 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I've though for a long time that James' voice sounds like Steven Seagal, but that might be just me

Thanks!

BTW. My wife hates Steven Seagal. I have to watch his movies in secret and alone.

#37 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

BTW. My wife hates Steven Seagal. I have to watch his movies in secret and alone.

Oh god please tell me you are just watching. :twisted: Actually I used to love watching Seagal movies on on TBS on Sunday mornings. :D I think that this post puts me past Hal for total posts. :tiphat:

#38 hellbenthaggis10

hellbenthaggis10

Toad

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:27 AM

I have to chime in on this one, I think out of all the sessions I enjoyed the warhammer ones the most because of all the conflict between characters.

I think the strength of the group is the humor they all have, it's entertaining and although Warhammer is supposed to be this grim dark fantasy setting, it also has humor, although its dark humor.

The second they were introducing their characters I laughed my ass off at the hatred between the brothers.

It's probably hard to roleplay a group of angry bastards that hate each other, but this group did it with humor and it worked.

I was sad to see the sessions end, I was looking forward to seeing actual classes come into play and what they all do.

I hope you guys return to it the same way you started it, just fart around and get in trouble.

#39 Soda

Soda

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:26 PM

I thought the roleplay of the Steinwult brothers' hostility was extremely funny to listen to as well. Conrad's first action of the game: Step on Ulrichs chain so he trips and drop his food ^^

Also, Ulrich is the best caracter ever! I found it incredibly funny to follow Ulrich's development from being the "kind thug who didn't beat up the street peddler", to becomming a seven-boobed, horned, winged and warty pseudo demon. How Ulrich escaped being burned... Priceless :)

#40 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

I thought the roleplay of the Steinwult brothers' hostility was extremely funny to listen to as well. Conrad's first action of the game: Step on Ulrichs chain so he trips and drop his food ^^

Also, Ulrich is the best caracter ever! I found it incredibly funny to follow Ulrich's development from being the "kind thug who didn't beat up the street peddler", to becomming a seven-boobed, horned, winged and warty pseudo demon. How Ulrich escaped being burned... Priceless :)

Ulrich's unmasking and subsequent chaos-making was brilliantly done. 4e and then Warhammer were my first exposures to the Texas crew, and it was interesting to see the extreme change in Ned's playstyle between the two. Galadril kind of kept in the background, so then to see Ulrich come front and center in the campaign, and just spiral down into personal and physical damnation, was just amazing.

The un-get-out-of-able prison sequence, with Conrad constantly trying to cripple Ulrich, and Girl modeling Leopald's stolen hat was pure gold as well... And Pfeifeldorf disintegrating into Conrad shouting that the Bretonnians wanted to eat the townsfolks children while Ulrich's sadist/masochist horses shagged in the background, all amidst the attempted kidnapping of a pie-maker, was pretty damn funny too.

It was definitely the players at their funniest. I think a different Warhammer campaign, one where they were less trod upon, could be great. Hal's mentioned wanting to try the new Warhammer out, so maybe he can browbeat them all into doing the introductory scenario, which is really quite good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge