7 replies to this topic

#1 Kimpire

Kimpire

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:48 AM

I just discovered this podcast a few weeks ago and have been listening to WLD eagerly. I'm wondering if anybody remembers: how were the original ability scores obtained? Was it a point buy? Were they icked out individually and subject to Hal's veto? Or were they actually rolled, and if so, was it 4d6 choose 3 or 5d6 choose 3 or some other system?

I ask because the scores were pretty consistently very high, much higher than 4d6 choose 3 would likely have obtained...

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

Hello and welcome to the boards, Kimpire!

The WLD character starting stats are below:

Feylin: Str 9, Dex 20, Con 11, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 12.

Gerout: Str 18, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 10.

Bastion: Str 7, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 14. (With Book of Exalted Deed Feats: Nymph’s Kiss, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty.)

Balazaar: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 12.

I'm not sure how they were generated and Hal and Lindsay won't be around for a little bit to answer though Paul/Balazaar might be able to answer.

But, if they were point buy, it would be 36 for Feylin, 41 for Gerout, I can't tell with Bastion because of the book of exalted deeds, and Balazaar at 46, assuming standard point buy costs. So it was probably something else.

#3 Kimpire

Kimpire

Toad

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationJerusalem, Israel

Posted 12 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

Yeah... I did notice that Balazaar's scores were quite improbably high. I'm guessing they did 5d6, or possibly even 5d6 choosing 6 out of 7. I'm hoping one of them weighs in and lets me know :)

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:55 AM

Hey there,

I am here :) Busy as anything but here.

As I recall we did the standard roll 4d6 and keep 3 but I think I let them drop rolls lower than 8 and reroll the whole stat line a few times until they were happy.

The issue I saw with WLD was that a weak stat line was going to reduce the potential longevity of the game and with the lack of easy magic in the WLD to equalize bad stats it could have led to an early TPK.

Welcome to the forums BTW :) Nice to have inquiring minds finding the World's Largest Dungeon after all this time.

The above is a guess by the way. I am pretty certain that's how we did it but I can't be sure. Perhaps one of the players can enlighten us all and check that's correct.

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:54 AM

Nice to have inquiring minds finding the World's Largest Dungeon after all this time.

Are you suggesting that all of us who came before don't have inquiring minds? :wink:

#6 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:15 AM

Are you suggesting that all of us who came before don't have inquiring minds? :wink:

I think he is that will require some sort of riot. :twisted:

#7 Fin

Fin

Stirge

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

As long as it is a quiet riot :lol:

As I recall it was 4d6 6 times with multiple sets of rolls until we were happy.

Seems odd Paul having the best stats as he usually generates fatally flawed characters!

Fin :twisted:

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:25 PM

Seems odd Paul having the best stats as he usually generates fatally flawed characters!

Fin :twisted:

Yes but he made up for it by playing the character fatally flawed and that has to count for something. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge