7 replies to this topic

#1 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLost in the dungeons

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

So... I've been kinda under the weather for the last week, right? Lotta sitting around doing cack-all, right? Been playing some Neverwinter Nights 2. Trying to finally get past Act 1.

I went hunting for mods just to see what kind of madness the NWN2 modding community had made. ...I ran across a recreation of the Tomb of Horrors.

And... as I'm here posting this, I... think y'all can see what immediately jumped to mind. I've only fiddled with the NWN2 toolset a short amount so far, and I dunno how I'd do something like the Tarrasque, but I want to at least give it a shot. Who knows? It might actually not turn out godawful.

I shall recreate the WLD as a NWN2 module. Oh yes. I shall recreate the WLD as a NWN2 module.

...Or die trying.

I'll be screwing around this weekend with the toolset. I'm thinking of maybe trying to do something with Bragdor's room. See what floats.

It's a bit of a laughably ambitious project, given I know next to nothing about the editor itself. I know the basics, but not much beyond that. And I'm sure there'd be more than a few gremlins I've forgotten about waiting to pop up if I do actually get into this. Hell, I'll be happy if I finish Area A.

Anyway... I figured I'd post this here. Not really sure WHY, per se. Just that I may have gone off the deep end with this idea. :O

Wish me luck, ladies and gents.

Now then... I wonder how well the RPGMP3 crew would fare in-game...

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 27 July 2009 - 11:02 PM

I have thought about similar things but then I have sobered up. :D

#3 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:48 AM

That's ambitious.

(I've got friends who used to teach a games in education university course which was all about using the NWN toolset to make modules. I wish I'd been able to take it as a filler paper :()

I wish I could find my copy of NWN2.

#4 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

I think the biggest thing to block me from doing this is size. We all know how big each Area is. And while I haven't loaded the toolset up to check it out yet, I'm almost certain you absolutely cannot make single indoor 'cells' that big.

Not entirely sure how to tackle that. Technically, I COULD just add doors or whatever leading to new 'zones' with the other parts of the Area, but that would be weird, wouldn't it? Plus that doesn't take into account the two or three big outdoors-y areas. I'd have to scour them to see how I'd break them down. The water in that one Area would help me box things in a bit, but it's also a limiting factor since I'm PRETTY sure you can't go INTO water in NWN2 :(

Might oughta seek out a NWN2 modding community... see if they can give me any pointers in regards to this project I may or may not have gotten myself into.

#5 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

Weren't the WLD characters from RPGMP3 immortalized by ENoa in one of his NWN mods?
http://www.rpgmp3.co... ... highlight=

Anyways, he hasn't posted recently I don't think, but his blog is at http://enoa4rpg.blogspot.com/

According to his blog, he has NWN2 mod experience too. He could probably just tell you what the problems would be.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

That re-creation of the Tomb of Horrors sounds rather interesting... and I do have an old copy of NWN sitting on the shelf just next to me as I type. Alas, I think it could be a question of time, or lack thereof, that knocks this one on the head. For me at least.

Time permitting, the WLD project sounds fun. I bet there'd be a lot of interested people... possibly including AEG! :D

#7 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

I suspect, like playing the module, the best way to convert t would be to tackle it one room at a time. I'm not sure how versatile the toolset is for making traps though. There's some odd traps in the dungeon (esp. that teleporting one up in the mutated dragon area).

#8 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

That too.

I'm assuming I can alter the traps just like anything else, but they're mostly standard fare. Acid splash traps, spikes, arrows, and the like. I HOPE I can alter them, anyway, because good god, the traps in NWN2 are a joke. You pretty much never need a Rogue. Just waltz through traps. If you ever do fail a saving roll, you still won't take much damage.

And then Magic Missile can handle any locked chests. Causing damage to what's inside? Pff, bitch please, this is a video game. :P

Sunday Night Edit: Well, it took awhile to get some free time this weekend, but I've finally sat down to look at this thing. The 32/32 room, the biggest interior cell you can have, is not making this promising, I'm afraid. Now, if there was a device within the editor to take rooms and position them as one would regular tiles (ie, "I want this room HERE, this one ABOVE it...") and made it simple? Then it would be fairly easy. Because just building the rooms is SIMPLE. It's everything ELSE that's a limiting factor. Still... I'm gonna fill this 32/32 with as much as I can, going from the entry points at the SW corner of Area A, and see how much 'game' can be added to this game.

Update: Oh Christ. Yeah, I don't think this is happening. Not without SEVERELY truncating WLD to the point of being unrecognizable. Lemme show ya what I came up with here. I was slightly sloppy on door placement and PRECISE room size, but to be fair, some of those things were on half-squares. How the crap do you do that, anyway?

Here's how things look in the toolset: http://yfrog.com/6fwldmapnwnj

And HERE is the EXACT amount of space you can use per 32/32 cell, the biggest you can make one: http://yfrog.com/4ywldmap01j

Assuming the pdf maps are still up here on rpgmp3, you can see this is... kinda bad news. :( I don't think this is possible. Not without a completely INSANE amount of work. More work than I may be willing to plug into a silly hobby. This kinda bums me out, too. I was hoping to at least get -an- area finished. Or at least flesh them out so all the orcs (I would've named one Gashbag, I promise :wink: ) and whatnot were around.

So... yeah. Pretty sad to see in practice. Ah well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge