• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ross

ross

Ghoul

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

gilaran has baged himself a ring of blink yay!

however i have know idear what its limitatons are :-(
like, if i am wizzing round on my carpet will i fall thrue it?

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:47 AM

So, the question is, can you fly a magic carpet while 'blinking'?

Hmm, technically yes. You can step through a solid object, but I think if you don't want to go through the carpet then you don't.

Also, blink says that you take half damage from falling, as you only fall while on the material plane. Ethereal creatures can also move in any direction including up and down at will.

So, while on the material plane, the flight of the magic carpet keeps you in the air. While on the ethereal plane, you don't fall, even thought the carpet isn't there to support you.

I think the tricky part is willing your ethereal self to move at the same pace as the carpet. :twisted: Just kidding. :lol: I'd say it would be okay, but Steve might prefer a little more realism in his magic. :?:

#3 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:08 PM

The tone of the description departs from previous editions wherein the "blink" was a movement effect (you teleported randomly around a small space making it harder to hit you). Now you're just phasing in and out of reality, so on the face of it there's no reason you should have a problem with flying a magic carpet (or riding in a ship or wagon for that matter). Flying carpets tend to be controlled mentally, so I could make the case that you needn't even worry about "blinking" out at the precise instant you'd be trying to make a maneuver input (your mind works the same from the ethereal plane as it does from the material--ref. the various powers of incorporeal creatures).

As Brian said though, the redoubtable Mr. Dulson may have a different interpretation and I am not licensed to practice Rules Law in the U.K. (though it doesn't stop me from sending you the bill for my consultation). :)

#4 ross

ross

Ghoul

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

thanks guys :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge