23 replies to this topic

#1 Nauthiz

Nauthiz

Raven

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCold Snowy Michigan.... *sigh*

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

Alright, the first new 20 Weeks of Hell sessions are up.

Check em out if you're interested.

As mentioned, we'll be working on getting the old episodes up (though I think they're all still available through rpgmp3.com) as well as stuff we recorded but which never saw the light of the web.

Plus new stuff!

#2 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:05 PM

Alittle bit of history, on what spawned the return of 20 weeks of hell.

As we said before, one of the reasons, the primary one, why 20 weeks stopped, was Shane getting a Job as an Observer out in the Bearing Sea, which meant he was gone for pretty much half a year.

On his return we wanted to celebrate by playing a Superheroes game, being the big Comic Book Dorks that we all are.

Savage Worlds being one of our favorite communal systems, the release of "Dawn of Legends" which boasted how it was a versatile, four colour, action packed, balanced Supers game for Savageworlds seemed to be divine providence.

Then we purchased it...
The rest of this story can be heard in the podcast...

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

OK folks!

I have released this on the RPGMP3 Community Podcast as Week 8 for the 20 Weeks guys (just to keep in step with the other stuff they were putting out). It is nice to see them back after over a year. I always through the project was intesting even if I did not always agree with the stuff that came out in the post-game discussions :)

Dawn of Legends One Off and Discussion

Filesize: 94MB

Community Podcast Updated :)

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

Ooh, now this does look interesting. Being something of a supers RPG geek myself I was eager to see DoL after hearing about it on the Pinnacle forum, but for various reasons (largely down to posts made by the DoL publishers) my initial enthusiasm soured and the game will really have to soar if it's to drag me away from Truth & Justice now. I'm very much looking forward to hearing your experiences with it.

#5 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:41 AM

Fair warning on this one. We didn't have the most positive expirence, and when you bring up posts from the developers souring you on the game? Yeah, they didn't appreciate Shane's opinion very much.

It was sad to see really. They didn't handle it very classy like, the way the guys who put out Suzerain did. The Suzerain crew respected our differing opinion and let us see their 2nd edition stuff to show the improvements they had made to their game.

Honestly, I'm a huge Savage Worlds fan, and I'm almost afraid to point out this review we did of DoL on the Savage World Forum, specifically because I'm afraid of the reprecussions it would engender.

The Savage World fans are a tight community.. But at the same time.. a bad game is a bad game.. is a bad game..

#6 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:04 PM

Welcome back! I've just started to listen to this one, and while I don't think it was meant to be funny, it is. :D

I enjoyed the other reviews as well, so thanks!

#7 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 08 July 2009 - 03:56 PM

My honest responce? About half an hour in I was thinking "any game in which the player characters slaughter crowds of innocent bystanders simply by moving from one place to another is not a game in which these self same characters could be called heroes, in any sense of the word."

Were the writers on drugs?

And what is bloody four colour when it's at home then?

#8 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

We always hope that our Reviews provide some amount of enjoyment to listen to...

Even when their craptacular games like Dawn of Legends, that made me want to cry as a GM..

#9 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:27 PM

Hi I just listened to and really enjoyed your play and review of this game. I have to admit I was in tears when you basically destroyed the city in the first 20 minutes with the speed wave...

Listening on though, I'm wondering was that some kind of dumnass balancing act. Saying to the speedfreaks "Yeah you can go super fast and have lots of attacks and stuff but if you do you will create a speed wave that will cause immense destruction like what happens EVERY WEEK IN SUPERMAN THE CARTOON. So that balances it."

Considering what happened with the rest of the game, it would not surprise me if they felt that was a balance factor.

#10 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

I kind of thought that too, but creating balance by adding destructiveness is not in the archtype 'superhero' nor in keeping with four color in my opinion. But, the creators might have seen it as balancing. :roll:

#11 GMdave81

GMdave81

Raven

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Glad you guys all thought it was hilarious, we certainly did.

Were hoping to get another Review up not this weekend but the following weekend.

Were all part of the Local Cammarilla LARP scene and this has been a busy month..

Most Likely, we'll be reviewing another Supers game.. "Godlike" superhero Roleplaying in a World on Fire.. aka World War 2.

#12 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

My personal favorite? The time honored tradition of Babality continued.

#13 sonoma3

sonoma3

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:14 PM

Another great game guys. While I'm not to terribly familiar with Savage Worlds, I'm pretty familiar with M&M and other point buy supers games, and I completely agree with the review you posted in terms of power costs. I think your group really demonstrated the problems in the system it self as well as the issue of unbalanced power cost, cheapening "power structures" and "any power pools".
Anyways I hope you keep it up, I've enjoyed every one of your AP's and I think that the system review/discussion section is a very interesting and unique part of your podcast.

#14 20WeeksofHell

20WeeksofHell

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

The Daring Forums requested live play sessions, so we gave it to em.

http://www.daringent... ... 1310#p1310

Check out the mature responses here. I am so tempted to put up "...I had to stop listening after 15 minutes as I felt I would throw up." as testimonial for our reviews and game sessions.

#15 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:19 PM

Check out the mature responses here.

They do like to throw toys don't they.

#16 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

But that guy said you can't copy and paste his immature text in any way shape or form... Maybe if we paraphrase!!!

#17 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

Wow. He copyrighted his response and "denied permission to copy" it anywhere else

So if I post it here, will he sue? :D

#18 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:26 PM

I don't know. Shall we post it and torment him in other ways. Because his post made me distinctly green around the gills about 3 words in. ;)

#19 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

I listened to it today and 15 minutes is when you guys said you were not going to use the Speed wake rules. Obviously describing the destruction of the city and newscasters exploding in clouds of gore was fine, but taking anything out of the perfection of the rules system in Dawn of Legends made him physically ill. 8)

#20 SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime

Kobold

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

Oh, good job guys, you single-handedly brought down their whole company. I hope you're proud of yourselves. Now where will people turn to for rules that makes Synnibar seem balanced and well thought out?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge