6 replies to this topic

#1 salvagebar

salvagebar

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

I have started The Salvage Bar Play Podcast, broadcasting actual play sessions of RPG's, run via Skype. I am fortunate to have an international cast of players.

The first project is a Necessary Evil campaign (I am publishing the third session tomorrow), but I hope to branch out. My real passion is the new generation of narrative control indie-style RPGs. I would love to run Dogs in the Vineyard, Mouse Guard, Lacuna, and Don't Rest Your Head.

http://feeds.feedbur...eBarPlayPodcast

Even if it isn't your cup of tea, I hope some of you will give a quick listen through the promo audio and the second play session. I am especially looking for feedback about the sound quality, since I am not using the typical analog line-out or microphone setup, but a software solution that directly records the Skype audio and plays sound effects in-line.

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 June 2009 - 01:52 PM

What software you using at the moment? We (the PGs) are a international Skype group so I could probably offer a few tips, if you'd fancy? Check out Tropis episode 13 for an example of our audio quality.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Alright, I've given your audio a bit of a listen to. Couple of small issues marring your otherwise brilliant quality.

o) Robotic Edge: This sounds like your using Audacity's 'Noise Removal' function and unfortunately there is no way to get around this. Try to have a little look about for other noise removal programmes.

o) Echo: Try to have your players adjust their sound levels at the beginning of the audio so that the mics arn't picking up the audio from the player's speakers.

A general tip: Always save in WAV, not mp3 format. WAV is a lossless format, so you won't lose quality as you edit the audio.

I hope these help and keep up the good work :)

#4 salvagebar

salvagebar

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:51 AM

Thanks for giving the time to help me out. The echo thing is hard to manage, since one player has to keep adjusting his levels to compensate for crappy equipment and background noise (i.e. a wife, bless her). Once he can upgrade his equipment a bit, things should be fine.

I will look into other noise removal options, or see if I can do away with it entirely.

I am using Powergramo Standard Edition to record the Skype calls. Pretty affordable at 24.95, easy to use, and I got much better results than I did by fiddling with the line-out or using an omni mic with the speakers, or any of that. Once I get a real mixer and a quality recorder, I'll consider an analog setup, since I want something portable for recording sessions that happen around a real table.

I really want a mixer, especially. The audio ports on almost every computer and laptop I've ever tried to record on have had terrible noise - all have had the "power buzz", and often other strange audio artifacts. I am guessing that this is due to low-quality integrated sound hardware, but I am not sure.

I always edit in .WAV format, and export to MP3 when I have a final version. Of course I welcome any advice you might have.

Alright, I've given your audio a bit of a listen to. Couple of small issues marring your otherwise brilliant quality.

o) Robotic Edge: This sounds like your using Audacity's 'Noise Removal' function and unfortunately there is no way to get around this. Try to have a little look about for other noise removal programmes.

o) Echo: Try to have your players adjust their sound levels at the beginning of the audio so that the mics arn't picking up the audio from the player's speakers.

A general tip: Always save in WAV, not mp3 format. WAV is a lossless format, so you won't lose quality as you edit the audio.

I hope these help and keep up the good work :)

#5 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

The power buzz issue really is a hard issue to get around, but sometimes it's a ground loop.

Something like this, a ground loop isolator ( http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062214), might work out well for you.

#6 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

I'm a big fan of the wry wit of the GM. It's not over the top, and it really shines through when you have a party of superheroes. Might be another fine group for the site! :D

#7 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

First off, I concur with Danny that your sound quality is excellent. Second off, as to the entertainment value of your game... Well lets just say that based on the twenty minutes or so that I've listened to so far I've gone ahead and subscribed to the feed. :-)

I'd love to set up a continuing dialogue wherein we discuss (ie vent to one another) the general gaming/recording over Skype experience. Feel free to add me on Skype: [my nickname here]40

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge