9 replies to this topic

#1 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

Having gotten ahold of "The Thousand Thrones" adventure, I notice that, at this point in the Section of Cheap Bastards (i.e. the Free section), the party is about halfway towards where Hal predicted they'd get their second career. So, I figured I'd ask where we think they'll end up.

I seriously doubt it's up to that point in the Patron's section, but if it is, you stay out of this!

For those not fanatically devoted to this podcast, here's a small list to help:

LEOPOLD:

Current Career: Charcoal Burner

Career Exits:

Hunter
Miner
Scout
Vagabond
Woodsman

OSKAR

Current Career: Hunter

Career Exits:

Bounty Hunter
Charcoal Burner
Miner
Scout
Soldier
Targeteer

GIRL

Current Career: Servant

Career Exits:

Agitator
Burgher
Camp Follower
Innkeeper
Messenger
Spy
Thief
Valet

ULRICH

Current Career: Thug

Career Exits:

Bodyguard
Interrogator
Pit Fighter
Mercenary
Racketeer

KONRAD

Current Career: Toll Keeper

Career Exits:

Ferryman
Highwayman
Outlaw
Politician
Soldier
Thief

DURAK

Current Career: Tomb Robber

Career Exits:

Fence
Rat Catcher
Shieldbreaker
Thief
Vampire Hunter

My personal picks

LEOPOLD

No real idea, so I'll have to go with miner.

OSKAR

Targeteer

GIRL

I could see her becoming a thief.

ULRICH

Maybe a mercenary, though he might get some kind of weird Chaos career that I can't quite recall, given that he's sold his soul by this point, as I recall. And to think, this could all have been avoided if he'd just become a Zealot...

KONRAD

Given the way he acts, becoming a criminal isn't out the question, but I personally think it'll be soldier.

DURAK

Shieldbreaker or Vampire Hunter, I think.

What about you guys, any ideas?

#2 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:20 PM

GIRL

Current Career: Servant

Career Exits:

Agitator

You know it makes sense.

DURAK

Current Career: Tomb Robber

Career Exits:

Fence
Rat Catcher
Shieldbreaker
Thief
Vampire Hunter

Minor spoiler:

In a few recent sessions in the patron's area Chris has been expressing interest in a career calledd Escaped Convict (which seems to have his current career as an entrance) so it's probably from a sourcebook. There was a fair bit of jubilation when he discovered that one of the requirements he had to obtain prior to enterring the career was an infestaion of lice :P

#3 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Also good. :D

Although, one must wonder: what does Escaped Convict exit to?

#4 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:27 PM

I've no idea. I don't recognise it. And as for Ulrich, all I can say is listen to session 11 :).

#5 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

I've no idea. I don't recognise it. And as for Ulrich, all I can say is listen to session 11 :).

Just got my hands on it. We'll reexamine our options tomorrow. :D

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:06 AM

A villa on the Costa del Sol, I believe :D

#7 Sonyakdragon

Sonyakdragon

Raven

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:31 PM

haha I think that woodsman might be good for Leopold if he gets a bigger axe though I think it would be funny if he became a mage somewhere down the road summon teach him to read.

for Oskar Bounty Hunter looks good or that Targeteer

Girl SOOO needs to be a spy she could pull it off

Konrad better take solider I think he'll need it for dealing with his Brother :wink:

hmmm I think Ulrich has a whole new set of options 8O

Durak SHEILDBREAKER!!!!!!!!!

#8 Drake

Drake

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

The threat is perhaps dead already, but I doubt I'm the only one still trying to catch up with all the releases. And perhaps there are other Warhammer players who find my thoughts useful.

One point ignored so far is the XP cost of advancement. The first career costs about 900 XP, with the option to spend more on optional skills and talents.
The second career is more expensive however. Advanced careers are far more expensive than basic ones, but even the second basic one costs 1000 XP for the advances and over 500 XP for talents and skills; on average I'd price the second basic career at 2000XP.
This means that regardless of what career you choose as second career, it's almost certainly going to be your final career in this campaign, and most others. It's only in very long campaigns or under generous GMs that you'll see more than two careers. This group averaged about 65XP/session.

Durak: Vampire Hunter, no question. Shieldbreaker or other careers may seem better at first glance, but it limits how much you can advance in certain areas. Vampire Hunter offers the same advances and almost all of the skills/talents, but allows you to spend more in the important areas - or whatever you consider most important at the time. It takes a lot of advances in so-so skills to finish the career, but that's well after this campaign.

Konrad: Not soldier. The fight against the Vamps demonstrated how important Strength and Toughness are. The soldier would give him Strike Mighty Blow (effectively +1 strength bonus), another attack, and +10 WS, but that's a fairly weak advance scheme.
Highwayman would be a decent advance, offering +10 Toughness and +10 WS in excess of what a soldier can manage, plus excellent advancement in other attributes and skills/talents.
I would also seriously consider spending an extra 100 XP to get a non-exit basic career.
Estallian Diestro: +15 WS, +5S, +5T, +15Ag (with lightning reflexes), +1A, +2 Wounds, Dodge Blow, and Strike Mighty Blow is a great advance in combat power, especially if the +5S and +5T increase Strength and Toughness bonuses.
Protagonist: Not quite as good as the Diestro, it is better if the +5 bonus doesn't improve SB or TB. +10WS, +10 S, +10Ag, +1A, +2Wounds, Dodge Blow, and Strike Mighty Blow. That's an assured +2 damage per hit.
Runebearer: No extra attack, but assured +1 SB and TB plus movement bonus.

These would be the mechanically best suited advances, but I'm not sure what would fit the character best. I'd probably go with Shieldbreaker, even though it's neither a normal exit class nor mechanically optimized; it does give good advancements and fits the characters history nearly perfectly. After what happened to his brother, it is natural that he'd oppose Chaos - a great fit for what Shieldbreakers are about.

Ulrich: He will no doubt become a leader of the creatures in the woods. So Chief it is. +30WS, +20S, +20T, +35Ag, two extra attacks, 8 wounds, Dodge blow, and Strike Mighty Blow make his advancement scheme the best around. Too bad that it won't help the party.

Girl: Thief doesn't fit. In many ways she's the face of the party. There are some interesting careers, but she would get frustrated with them, because she would get essentially useless in combat. Spy is a decent compromise; a lot of combat related advances she can take (including an extra attack, but only +5 Strength), but lots of other stuff as well.

Oskar: Targeteer. Without doubt the only possible choice for ranged combat. +35% BS says it all. The extra attack is merely a cherry on top of it. It'll offer good choice for XP until the end of the campaign for sure.

Leopold:
For the best combat performance I'd suggest Scout. So-So skills, bad talent choices, but decent advancement scheme. +20WS, +10S, +10T, +15Ag, +1 attack, +6 Wounds and Dodge Blow means that 1800XP can be invested into useful combat stuff; more than any basic career would allow.
Yet, this and every other career exit brings him no closer to his two goals: reading and learning magic. So he must burn the extra XP to get into a new career.
Divine Magic would start with Priest, which can most cheaply be reached via Initiate. And real Divine Magic only with Anointed Priest. Since Priest takes around 3500XP to complete, there's no way to become Anointed Priest in this campaign. And even Priest is impossible, unless you started as Initiate. There's no way he could earn the 2000XP to complete Initiate before the end of the campaign. And even though it has useful skills and talents, the advancements don't do much for his combat power.
Arcane Magic is easier: Apprentice Wizard is a basic Career and offers petty magic immediately. It's a tough trade though: for the few basic spells, you sacrifice any combat oriented advancements for the rest of the campaign.

So from the character perspective I'd go for Apprentice Wizard, but with the firm knowledge that I can't compete in combat with the rest of the group.

#9 Peanuts

Peanuts

Raven

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

*sigh* :spam: :gtfo:

#10 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons