#1 CBeyond

CBeyond

Blowin' Free

• Patrons
  • 4 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Greetings,

I’m a new member here, and I wanted to thank you for your version of Beyond the Mountains of Madness. I’m currently running this adventure for a small group of 3-4 players in Los Angeles. (We’re in Chapter 7 and moving much slower than you did!) Considering how much I learned from your play through, and the obvious entertainment value, I thought it was appropriate to contribute to your site.

I want to applaud the players for creating such memorable characters. The way Charles (Glen?) successfully infiltrated the Lexington Estate was truly amazing. I never expected him to succeed, but his method of impersonating a gardener was too good to fail. I think you Hal should take a good deal of credit for letting him go off the script in that way. It’s too bad there was no reward for him inside the mansion.

Of course Lindsay’s character Jenna was very original, and she took what was ordinarily a fairly dry early portion of the story, and spiced it up considerably. The way she played Jenna’s indefinite insanity in the later chapters was also fascinating and disturbing. Perfect for a Lovecraft story!

I really liked the enthusiasm of the player who was running Jim Hawk / Fred Baggins (David?). It’s awesome to have a player who can get so excited about witnessing a penguin being devoured by a Shoggoth and then running away from it. I’ve found not every roleplayer understands the attraction of CoC, but I think this guy does.

Tracy Watkins’ (Ned?) reaction to the Shoggoth was also hilarious. His insistence on heading straight for the plane, starting the engines, and getting the hell out of there was absolutely perfect. I think he started weeping when one of the Boeings was destroyed, or maybe it was when the last one was stolen by the Germans. That was really awesome.

I hope you and your group do not have bad memories of this adventure. From a listener’s perspective, I think A LOT more went right with your game than went wrong. There are certainly some problems with the published adventure, and I’ve been doing my best to correct them as I present my game. In the big picture though, I think there is something special about this story. I keep hoping that some day the Engans will publish a 2nd Edition that fixes all the problems and reveals the gem that’s hidden within this clunky monstrosity.

Thanks again to everyone

CB

#2 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:34 PM

Of course Lindsay’s character Jenna was very original, and she took what was ordinarily a fairly dry early portion of the story, and spiced it up considerably. The way she played Jenna’s indefinite insanity in the later chapters was also fascinating and disturbing. Perfect for a Lovecraft story!

At the end I had mental images of her drifting around a drafty sanitorium and going "click beeep" at anyone who tried to talk to her instead of paying them any attention. And then I realised that she'd never been on the other end of the experience and wouldn't know what it sounded like and it spoiled the mental image as her just ignoring people didn't seem so impressive.

I really wanted the players to encourage her to say it as the last thing at the end of the final session as a sort of ""signing off" thing but they didn't even try :(.

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:06 PM

At the end I had mental images of her drifting around a drafty sanitorium and going "click beeep" at anyone who tried to talk to her instead of paying them any attention.

That is such a cool idea I have now mentally inserted it at the end of the adventure! :D

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 27 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

We really ought to record an actual "click-beep" and tack it onto the end of all RPGMP3 podcasts :D

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 June 2009 - 06:31 PM

Welcome aboard and thanks for the decloak.

I do agree and little bit of a spit and polish would make this an excellent adventure. The story is really very good. They just need to make it a little more player driven :)

I am glad the play through is helping you out. That is one of the main reasons we do this stuff :)

Welcome. I hope you feel comfortable enough round here to continue to contribute and yes, I love the "Click.... Beep...." idea for the end of the podcasts :)

Hal :hal:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge