#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:23 PM

The party are pulled back to the plot by the nose but a certain female halfling and the player behind her wonderful sausagey-ness :P

Wahammer: The Thousand Thrones Session 10

Filesize: 69MB

RPGMP3 EPICs Podcast Updated :)

Let me know what you think :P

Hal :hal:

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:26 PM

I think it is excellent but I also think you also knew that :D

#3 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Kobold

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Huzzah!

A game to listen to on the weekend!

#4 Dwarth

Dwarth

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC, Canada

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

Another good one from the South Crew!

#5 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:51 PM

Thank you Mr. Hal. I just finished session 5 so it might take me a while to listen to this but that means I'm half way through right now which is an encouraging thought.

#6 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:52 PM

...but that means I'm half way through right now which is an encouraging thought.

Nope :twisted:

#7 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

As in there is more, much more available to patrons, or not very encouraging?

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:27 PM

As in there is more, much more available to patrons, or not very encouraging?

Yep :twisted:

#9 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 06:33 AM

You guys are a Godsend. I'm going to be stuck in one location for a few hours today...and I have new Warhammer to distract me! Yay!

Thank you Mr. Hal and all the Texans!

...so happy, I won't even try to gross Chris out this time. :D

#10 mad_hatchet

mad_hatchet

Raven

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

Great session. I have to say, I really enjoy the "normalness" and limited abilities of the PCs in Warhammer RP compared to other systems. And the group's initial reaction to meeting Lucas was definitely laugh-out-loud funny.

I have a feeling somebody already asked about this, but aren't the fate-points rather broken?

#11 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:23 PM

Great session. I have to say, I really enjoy the "normalness" and limited abilities of the PCs in Warhammer RP compared to other systems. And the group's initial reaction to meeting Lucas was definitely laugh-out-loud funny.

I have a feeling somebody already asked about this, but aren't the fate-points rather broken?

I wouldn't say so. There's a very limited number of them, and the PCs are, as you said, very limited. It's incredibly likely, from what I hear, to have terrible things happen to you. Not all that broken from my viewpoint.

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

Not at all. Fate points are absolute obscene luck, the favour of the gods. They're doing the Indiana Jones thing and completely avoiding death by a hair's bredth or they're doing the Tom & Jerry thing of someone somehow surviving obscene damage to stagger, or crawl, away.

Generaly a player character shouldn't use more than one fate point in a single scene. The usual convention/house rule is that whoever used afate point is down and out 'till the dangerous situation's been sorted out and people can check if they're really dead or not.

Also you get what, 2 or 3 fate points? Okay, so it used to be d3 for humans and elves, d3-1 for dwarfs and gnomes and d3+1 for halflings. It's a bit different in 2nd ed but the halflings still have more.

Fate points don't come back. You get them and that's it. Once they're spent, they're gone. Now fortune points, that's another matter. 1st edition didn't have fortune points. You had your fate points and that was it. No rerolls or anything to prevent you from needing to spend them earlier. In 2nd ed the fortune points don't really do too much to prevent the sue of fate points. They allow you a few rerolls to shape the game to suit the way you want your character to behave. Alright, so you'll survive a little bit longer without having to spend afate point but that basicaly just increases your survival rate for the first few sessions and gives you a better chance of becoming an ever so slightly more capable adventurer. And while this is happening, the monsters remain just as dangerous as before (and that's pretty dangerous :)).

It's not as if you get a fate point at the end of every adventure or somehting. Alright, for some really big epic "save the world" type adventures you might get 1 for completing them successfuly, but thankfuly this isn't Forgotten Realms so those adventures don't come 'round anywhere near as often as they used to in many of the TSR settings (especialy that one).

#13 mad_hatchet

mad_hatchet

Raven

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

It just seems a bit strange that the PCs don't actually die until the second or third time around. I guess this depends on who's GMing, but if a player ends up in a situation where it's really contrived for them to survive, will they have to survive anyway?

Eg., if a bunch of "first level" PCs get drafted into an epic battle against a horde of chaos warriors, and the good guys lose terribly, would all of the PCs wake up alive after the battle, having been knocked out and lost in the confusion a la The Hobbit?

Also, this would just be bad roleplaying, but I can see how i might behave differently knowing I have a few "extra lives".

#14 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

Eg., if a bunch of "first level" PCs get drafted into an epic battle against a horde of chaos warriors

I can't really see that happening in a WFRP game (outside of Bazorkin's Heroic Effort where some brand new characters had to fight bloodletters and, sensibly, ran away from units of chaos warriors). Mostly because the roleplaying game is not a wargame.

I could easily see one guy get hit on the side of the helmet by a flying rock and wake up later amidst the mud and blood and count his luck that he hasn't been seriously mauled. For an entire party go get into such abad situation right off the bat, you'd have to ask if the GM had a history of playing other games instead (like Tunnels & Trolls or something :P).

A fate point isn't really so much of a "you didn't die" as a "you could've died" moment. It's the guy who falls off the cliff, lands on a ledge, and waits there for 3 days with abroken arm waiting to be rescued. Alright, so it can also be the guy who gets hit in the belt buckle, winded and goes down (and gets ignored for a few rounds) but they tend to have more of a lasting impact that.

It's sort of like the get out of jail free card in Monopoly. Only it doesn't go back in the deck and you don't get to draw again later.

#15 mad_hatchet

mad_hatchet

Raven

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

Thanks, that was very well explained. Although I still feel like killing off PCs would be more in keeping with Warhammer's atmosphere :twisted: . A matter of taste, of course.

#16 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:28 AM

Sorry for running the first incident of Fate Points like a death. Chris was unsure if he was going to "bring his character back" and their is always the option of not spending the Fate Points.

I have been wondering if perhaps they would be better used as a GM mechanic. If I kept the totals of their Fate Points and then fudge the rolls that might kill them and crossed them off I think it would be a lot less cumbersome (ponders)

Then it could truly seem like luck.

Hal :hal:

#17 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:05 PM

Another good way to look at Fate Points is this: the little boy from Jurassic Park. During the course of that film he should've died 3 or 4 times.

1: The boy and the girl are in a car. The Tyranosaurus Rex flips the car over, smashing all the windows. Somehow it doesn't pull them out and eat them.

2: The same tyranosaurus rex pushes the same car off the edge of the bridge. The car falls a long way down and both the children miraculously emerge unharmed.

3: The boy climbs up an electric fence he's been told not to climb. He takes a lethal dose voltage elecrtci shock which hurls him from the fence (and a long way down to the ground). A little CPR and he's ine!

4: The boy is in ametal kitchen cabinet and a veloceraptor charges at him. Not only does he have faster reactions than acharging veloceraptor which allow him to slam the door in it's face, but his reactions are so good he can free there screaming and only slam the door just as it's about to arrive.

After the second time I really wanted ihm to die. After the third it was just rediculous. Almost a running joke.

Most PC's in WFRP don't get more than 2 fate points.

#18 Sonyakdragon

Sonyakdragon

Raven

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

I thought it worked out alright after all the patrons at the bar thought he was dead after all he was bleeding like a stuck pig but maybe the priest should have played it that he wasn't quit dead but was close to death the whole "his soul is almost departed from his body" run around. But then Chris wouldn't have gotten to make a bandage thong :lol:

And I belive that the guys live to screw up Lindsay's hard worked plans. And a question for Hal is Ulrich ummm milk addictive? just wondering what would happen if he started to give it to the party alot

#19 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

but maybe the priest should have played it that he wasn't quit dead but was close to death the whole "his soul is almost departed from his body" run around.

Well that would have almost been getting a little bit too much high magic for the Old World.

#20 Sonyakdragon

Sonyakdragon

Raven

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 27 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

Not really more of the it's in the gods hands or he might might not live kinda thing like the phrases used by healers in the middle ages where if you took a bad hit they dumped you in a bed cleaned the wound (if your were lucky) and waited to see if you would stop breathing sort of thing. Thats why I said it should come out of the priest mouth then it's not magic it's Mystical :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge