• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Phneri

Phneri

Goblin

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well, I'm wrapping up a new campaign and doing the populating the world bit. However, I'm still a few characters short at the moment, and we look to be starting the game up soon, so I thought I'd see if anyone can offer help for a few characters.

I'm in need of:

A warrior/nobility type, with some sort of unique weapon style. Around CR 10-12. Basically an adventurer turned duke.

A kobold tribe leader, around CR 5-7.

Most of the rest of the stuff is set. I'm open to anything from backgrounds to full stat blocks. I've been trying to get a feel for what I want to do with these two and haven't had any great ideas yet.

#2 Nightbird

Nightbird

Runic Skald

• Patrons
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

3.5?

#3 Phneri

Phneri

Goblin

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Whoops, that would have helped.

Yes, I'm using 3.5

#4 Nightbird

Nightbird

Runic Skald

• Patrons
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

I've got an idea for the duke, just a quick question. Is he supposed to be evil and are you forbidding any splat books? I'm not trying to make an OP character just was thinking of using complete scoundrel/divine.

#5 Phneri

Phneri

Goblin

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

My thought was to make him fairly neutral, probably lawful. The former adventurer who has taken over a province kind of thing.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

I'm in need of:

A warrior/nobility type, with some sort of unique weapon style. Around CR 10-12. Basically an adventurer turned duke.

You could go ahead and steal Balgin's gimmick (someone else already did, so I'm sure he won't mind you doing it in a completely different campaign... after all, there's precedent! ;)); I think a Don Quixote-type character would be quite interesting. The trick to making him a valid CR 10-12 would be that, unlike the original Don Quixote, he wouldn't be totally bereft of fighting skills, but he's convinced that he is (even) more powerful than what is actually the case. I like the way Balgin handled it, by playing him as a paladin who thinks he's a god - it retains some of the flavor of a bookish old fart who thinks he a knight, plus it allows him to progress as a regular character and reach high levels, but still have that dichotomy of having a totally different view of the world than everyone else.

#7 Nightbird

Nightbird

Runic Skald

• Patrons
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:58 AM

Ok, so here is what I'm thinking. I'm hoping no one in your campaign reads these forums . :D

Michael Pureblade

Male Human Cleric 4 / Rogue 6
Neutral Good

Strength 19 (+4)
Dexterity 10 (+0)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 14 (+2)
Wisdom 14 (+2)
Charisma 16 (+3)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 6"
Weight: 150 lb
Skin: Light
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Dark Brown; Straight; Light Beard

Domains: Luck Trickery

Energy: Positive [Healing / Turns Undead]

Total Hit Points: 78

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 17

Touch AC: 10
Flat-footed: 10 [uncanny dodge]

Initiative modifier: +0 = +0 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +7 = 6 [base] +1 [constitution]
Reflex save: +6 = 6 [base]
Will save: +8 = 6 [base] +2 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]
Attack (missile): +7/+2 = 7 [base]
Grapple check: +11/+6 = 7 [base] +4 [strength]

Light load:116 lb. or less
Medium load:117-233 lb.
Heavy load:234-350 lb.
Lift over head:350 lb.
Lift off ground:700 lb.
Push or drag:1750 lb.

Languages: Common Draconic Elven

Feats:

Extra Turning x1
Run
Luck Devotion
Trickery Devotion
Victor's Luck +1 luck reroll/day

Traits:

Skill Name
Appraise Int 2 = +2
Balance Dex* 2 = +0+2 [tumble]
Bluff Cha 16 = +3+13
Climb Str* 4 = +4
Concentration Con 1 = +1
Diplomacy Cha 18 = +3+13 +2 [bluff]
Disable Device Int 15 = +2+13
Disguise Cha 16 = +3+13
Escape Artist Dex* 0 =+0
Forgery Int 2 = +2
Gather Information Cha 3 = +3
Heal Wis 2 = +2
Hide Dex* 13 = +0+13
Intimidate Cha 5 = +3+2 [bluff]
Jump Str* 6 = +4 +2 [tumble]
Knowledge (nobility) Int 3.5 = +2 +1.5
Listen Wis 6 = +2+4
Move Silently Dex* 13 = +0+13
Open Lock Dex 13 = +0+13
Ride Dex 0 = +0
Search Int 2 = +2
Sense Motive Wis 2 = +2
Spot Wis 5 = +2+3
Survival Wis 2 = +2
Swim Str** 4 = +4
Tumble Dex* 13 = +0+13
Use Magic Device Cha 8 = +3+5
Use Rope Dex 0 = +0

This character has 1 luck rerolls per day.
Bluff >=5 ranks gives +2 on disguise checks to act in character.

Zero-level Cleric spells: 5 per day

First-level Cleric spells: 4 (3+1) per day +1 from a domain:

Second-level Cleric spells: 3 (2+1) per day +1 from a domain:

Cleric:

* Alignment Aura

* Spontaneous Casting (heal)

* Turn Undead (10x/day)

* High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

* Domain choices give additional abilities

Rogue:

* Sneak Attack +3d6

* Trapfinding

* Evasion (level 2)

* Trap Sense (level 3)

* Uncanny Dodge (level 4)

* Improved Uncanny Dodge (level 8 )

* Slippery Mind (level 10)

Inventory:
1 Mithril shirt Glamered to look like Noble clothes
1 Keen Merciful Scythe
1 Ring of Feather Falling
Bracers of Armor +2
Ring Of Protection +1
1 Brooch of Shielding
1 Dust of Dryness (full of water)

More about Michael Pureblade:

Duke of (province name here), Michael earned his duchy through word and deed as an adventurer years ago. He is best known as a ruler who loves his people, an upholder of the law and a Paladin without measure. When asked which God he serves he simply states that his vows preclude him from answering. In reality however Michael is not a paladin at all but in fact a rogue and a cleric of Olidammara. Using the powers bestowed upon him by the Laughing Rogue, at night he punishes those that he normally cannot in an official capacity while also preventing more destructive elements from taking root in the darker parts of his domain. Currently he is very amused that there is quite a large bounty on his alter ego, put up by wealthy and corrupt men. Although potentially dangerous for him he thinks of it as a way to train the night watch as well as find potential talent if any band of adventurers can manage to follow the clues he sets(pointing to someone else deserving of the punishment of course).

Combat:
In combat Michael will use all his skills to flee if chased when he has donned his alter ego. Creating duplicates of himself, leaping off buildings and when in tight spaces taking a deep breath and dropping his dust of dryness to wash his pursuers away if necessary. If cornered or while in his Duke persona he immediately activates his luck domain feat to do maximum damage and uses his scythe to knock out his attackers for later questioning. He tries to seperate the party with tricks and distractions and targets spellcasters first, using simulacruns for flanking to sneak attack more dangerous targets.

#8 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

I'm in need of:

You could go ahead and steal Balgin's gimmick (someone else already did, so I'm sure he won't mind you doing it in a completely different campaign... after all, there's precedent! ;)); I think a Don Quixote-type character would be quite interesting. The trick to making him a valid CR 10-12 would be that, unlike the original Don Quixote, he wouldn't be totally bereft of fighting skills, but he's convinced that he is (even) more powerful than what is actually the case. I like the way Balgin handled it, by playing him as a paladin who thinks he's a god - it retains some of the flavor of a bookish old fart who thinks he a knight, plus it allows him to progress as a regular character and reach high levels, but still have that dichotomy of having a totally different view of the world than everyone else.

Disturbingly, sir Asharnwaen Carthin, Lone Stressed Man of the Apocalypse once prayed to himself for divine intervention and actualy rolled the 2% chance of it actualy happening. The party was completely gobsmacked :). I could dig out the character sheet if you wanted. He had a family tree and everything. He was constantly loking for some "artifact" his two evil brothers had stolen from his family but, due to the shock, had blocked out the actual identity of the artifact. So he didn't know what it was, but that he might recognise it when he found it.

Amusingly he once detected agreat evil coming from a house and upon entering discovered a bunch of devil worshippers. When he asked them what they were doing, and they told him, he asked "so this SDatan, is he particularly evil?" and when they laughed and said no, he just said "oh, very well then," and left.

He also refused to be broken out of priuson. "It would seem that I have been imprisoned wrongfuly but as we all know, such things never take place. There must be some reason for my incarceration and as such, I must remain here 'till it is revealed to me that I may prove my innocence or suffer the punishment for my crime".

He has also kept promises made to villains never to return to their secret hideout or reveal it's location when after delivering a randsom and freeing a hostage.

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:00 AM

I'm in need of:

Disturbingly, sir Asharnwaen Carthin, Lone Stressed Man of the Apocalypse once prayed to himself for divine intervention and actualy rolled the 2% chance of it actualy happening. The party was completely gobsmacked :).

Wtf! 8O Was the GM on drugs? How is that even possible, getting divine intervension from yourself?!

He was constantly loking for some "artifact" his two evil brothers had stolen from his family but, due to the shock, had blocked out the actual identity of the artifact...
Amusingly he once detected agreat evil coming from a house and upon entering discovered a bunch of devil worshippers. When he asked them what they were doing, and they told him, he asked "so this SDatan, is he particularly evil?" and when they laughed and said no, he just said "oh, very well then," and left.

:lol: Absolutely hilarious, man!

He has also kept promises made to villains never to return to their secret hideout or reveal it's location when after delivering a randsom and freeing a hostage.

He must have been a total pain in the rectum for the other players. Standard paladin fare, then. :D

#10 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

Wtf! 8O Was the GM on drugs? How is that even possible, getting divine intervension from yourself?!

"Well it's only a 2% chance so go for it, just for a laugh."

I rolled a 1.

He must have been a total pain in the rectum for the other players. Standard paladin fare, then. :D

With pacifistic tendeinces. He was also the party healer (considering that the other regular party members were a nymphomanic enchantress who'd invented anime as an art form, a psychopathic fighter who believed axes were a sentient life form a human were rat thief and Tokar the evoker).

Ash was also so entertaining and amusing, that he more than made up for his honourable outlook on life.

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:54 AM

I can't help noticing that you're describing half of your party as being clinically insane... I assume you were playing D&D? ;)

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

I can't help noticing that you're describing half of your party as being clinically insane... I assume you were playing D&D? ;)

Yes, and yes they were. 2nd ed too. The adventures were fairly sane. It was the party's antics that weren't. Despite various attempts Ash retained his celibacy, (except when he was home with the wife). The closest he came to betraying his marriage was when an evil npc dominated him and commanded him to make love to her. So he got down on one knee and began composing poems. Before things got any more serious the rest of the party intervened.

During that campaign, in a side adventure featuring a ranger and a fighter, these two characters were attacked by a mindflayer hit squad. After surviving the encounter (but failing to take down any of the mindflayers) these two decided they really didn't lik the psychic stun blast they'd been subjected to and comissioned a pair of lead helmets. Not lead lined helmets, but essentialy thick lead buckets with eyeslits.

For the rest of the adventure, whenever they ahd these helmets on, they passed every single save against psychic powers (despite the helmets granting them no bonuses or immunities whatsoever). So they decided they'd got magic anti psionic helmets and kept them for emergencies. Emergencies that never occurred, but they believed they were fully prepared.

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 04:47 AM

Yeah, but did they make their saving throw vs. lead poisoning? :D

#14 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

Yeah, but did they make their saving throw vs. lead poisoning? :D

They only wore them twice. It's not as if they kept them on all the time. Just during that adventure when they expected mindflayer atatcks to be iminent. And for a brief while during a later adventure when they suspected mindflayer involvement (it wasn't). After that they just kept them near to hand in case of emergencies.

Plus we were teenagers and didn't know about lead poisoning. That being said I was about four years older than the rest of the players but all those boring science and physics lessons at school ahd been too boring to catch my interest so I didn't know about lead poisoning much either (although I'd heard a few people mention it a couple of times).

#15 Phneri

Phneri

Goblin

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for the advice on characters. The cleric/rogue was a bit more magical than I was looking for, but it did give me some good ideas on directions to go to.

I came up with this for the Kobold War Leader as a 5th-level Barbarian:

5d12 + 10 hp (48 hits, 58 while raging)

Str 14 (18 rage), Dex 16, Con 14 (18 rage), Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 8

40 ft movement.

Feats: Monkey Grip, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Rage 2x/day (7 rounds), Weapon Focus (Greatsword)

AC 19 (+1 ring of protection +1, +1 size, +1 natural, +3 dex, +3 hide armor). 17 while raging.

Saves F +6, R +4 W +1 (Rage F +8, R +4, W +3)

BAB +5, Grapple +3

Attacks: Masterwork Greatsword +7 (2d6+3): 19-20 x2

Rage: Masterwork Greatsword +9 (2d6+6): 19-20 x2

Possessions: Small hide armor, Medium-sized Masterwork Greatsword, Ring of Protection +1, 100 gold, bone amulet of leadership (no value outside tribe).

Skills: Listen, Spot, Intimidate, Survival +8, Climb +7 (-3 check penalty)

Languages: Draconic, Common, Undercommon, Orcish

So yeah, the party runs into a kobold tribe, but get the option to deal with them peacefully. If they decide "they're only kobolds, let's obliterate them" The leader gets angry and charges in, giant sword blazing. I thought level 6 (and a second attack at +5 for 2d6+6 while raging) would have been a bit much.

I haven't statted up the noble yet, but I think he's going to be half-elf so I can swap in some of the fighter substitution levels for flavor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge