• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 irkthyn

irkthyn

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

I’m sure it has occurred to others (and I have not scoured the forum for the idea so I apologize if this is idiotic repetition), but in the evolution of Splug can we not speculate upon the origins of Yoda? Splug’s rise from random, green-skinned bit part to master of mobility/apostle of Avandra surely parallels the humble swamp-dweller’s odyssey to the heights of the ancient and honorable order of Jedi. If only Splug might achieve psionics, which given his serpentine career path would certainly not be out of character, he would only need to await another Paul Atreides knock off. Perhaps Splug should take a more paternal interest in his party’s truant paladin? Naturally, a glowing sword, the blind fighting feet, and sentence inversion are indispensable character modifications, but these are such minor obstacles as to be hardly noteworthy.

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

Funny :)

I don't think anyone has yet to make that observation but I guess there are some strong similarities :D

Welcome to the boards by them way. Way to decloak :D

Hal :hal:

#3 Elizur

Elizur

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPasadena, TX

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:45 PM

I really have enjoyed listening to Splug. I didn't know what the reference was in these forums but now am almost done with the Keep series and know him very well.

I'm trying to visualize Hal talking as Splug. LOL I bet it was funny.

#4 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:54 PM

I have nothing to say regarding any similarity between Splug and Yoda, but I just have to express how freaking cool Elizur's Count Iblis avatar is.

Carry on. Ieqo out.

#5 BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:59 PM

I had a similar vision of Splug as Yoda from Episode I. I think it first struck me while the party was in the Well of Demons. An otherwise unimpressive looking little green fella who suddenly leaps into action, springs about this way and that, wreaking havoc among his foes.

I've never ruminated on Yoda's likely squallid origin, so the similarities in their evolutions didn't occur to me. It's pretty easy to imagine Splug working his way up to epic levels and coming back to rule over the Seven-Pillared Hall.

#6 irkthyn

irkthyn

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

Wouldn't that be marvellous?! Crusader Pope Splug leading a host of Duergar and Drow who've converted to radically militant Evangelical Avandranism!

#7 BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:34 PM

I'm sure Splug would put his own stamp on Avandra's teachings. To paraphrase the PHB entry for Avandra:

Change is inlevitble, so 'Vandra won' mind if'n I change yer kidneys inna a new sheaf for Mr. Pointy.

#8 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

Wouldn't that be marvellous?! Crusader Pope Splug leading a host of Duergar and Drow who've converted to radically militant Evangelical Avandranism!

I SO wish I could draw. That would make a truly awesome picture...

#9 WCACameraman

WCACameraman

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:09 PM

Splug is so awesome that I couldn't do him justice so I erased his character from existence in my run through of Keep of the Shadowfell. They found an empty cell with a +1 parrying dagger named "Mr. Pointy". I guess he broke out himself but left his original Mr. Pointy in the cell.

#10 Dwarth

Dwarth

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC, Canada

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:59 AM

SPLUG for President !

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:38 AM

I SO wish I could draw. That would make a truly awesome picture...

Be careful what you wish for; ;)
Posted ImageI was going to throw a few Wicked Drow Nuns in the mix as well, but I wasn't sure if the party ever visited Castle Anthrax. :)

#12 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

This, I can sum up in one word: awesome!

Although, for some reason, I always thought of Splug as more...cute...than Gremlin-looking. They described his charisma going up, and it just stuck. Ah well; all hail Pope Splug!

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:03 AM

To be honest, I haven't gotten around to listening to the 4e sessions yet, so I just drew a random goblin. If it happened to look remotely like Splug, that would have been more by accident than design. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge