#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

The time has come to release this one but I do so with the following statement.

WARNING

After some lengthy discussions I decided to edit this session for tone. There is a rather reprehensible act performed in here by one of the player characters (the prostitution of a young man against his will). While this is well within the scope of the character development and well within the strong theme of corruption and personal decay embodied by the game, it was felt that it may not be appropriate for general release to a podcast that can be accessed by children.

To that end I have lightly edited the session to take the act "off stage" so to speak. The end result retains everything of the original, including all the lead up and follow up to the act but the actual even itself has been faded to a brief moment of silence.

I am, in general, quite anti-censorship, but in this case it was felt that due to the wide reaching nature of the media and the flash point nature of the subject matter (rape) that measures should be taken to ensure that it was as appropriate for as wide an audience as possible.

I hope you agree that this was a necessary response. The actual incident occurs between 1.30 and 1.40 in the recording and the rest of the session is fine for all ears (except for the usual waffle and foul language and table talk). So if you want to skip the whole thing, you can.

I would appreciate any comments you might have regarding this session specifically or this topic in general. I find it interesting that gamers regularly murder and steal but there are certain acts that are still distasteful even within the context of character development in an appropriate setting.

Warhammer: The Thousand Thrones Session 6

Fileszie: 95MB

EPICs Podcast Updated

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#2 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the release...and the soul-searching. Speaking for myself, I too find it odd that we can embrace certain reprehensible acts in the context of our games, tolerate others, and be bothered by still others. But the bottom line is we're all people, and as such we all bring our own baggage along with us.

While I myself may or not be bothered by certain types of subject matter, I can appreciate and respect that others have different baggage than you or I. It is a brave act to put out things that some may find controversial. But sometimes it is the braver and more responsible act to go out of one's way to consider the sensibilities of others. From the discussions I've heard, overheard, and participated in in some of the backchannels, I suspect this to be one of those times.

Thanks once again for everything. Dungeon on!

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 11:37 AM

That sounds like a very reasonable decision, Hal. Besides, the rest of the session is the usual quality entertainment we've all come to know and love - which of course means unfortunate circumstances and humourously horrible party-dynamics - that it's well worth the listen.

This game is even harsher than Rolemaster!

#4 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:54 PM

Is it really censorship if you do it to yourself? In my opinion, censoring someone else's work because you find it offensive is plain wrong, but censoring yourself to avoid offending others is laudable. The only circumstance in which deliberately offending someone would be acceptable to me is when avoiding doing so would compromise my principles. All of which is a long-winded way of saying that, while I don't think I would personally be offended by something that occured in a roleplaying game, I fully support your decision to edit the session.

#5 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

I agree with your decision completely. Some things just NEED this.

Thanks for the update, Mr. Hal. I'll get right on it.

#6 JoeGun

JoeGun

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSunny SD

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hi Hal,

thanks for the audio. And for the record, I'm simply happy you are willing to take the time to record and publish your recordings. If you happen to pull stuff out you don't want people to hear ( for whatever reason ) I totally understand and support it.

On a side note: the rss.xml file for the Epics Podcast has been truncated. Nothing after Thuderspire Session 6 is there ( actually it gets truncated 1/2 through Thuderspire Session 5, but since it doesn't close the tag correctly, only Session 6 is showing on the feed. This also causes the itunes podcast to show up as an invalid url.

It gets truncated on line 482.

Thanks again for all of you work to get this stuff out to us!

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Thanks folks :)

On the truncated feed front, it got stuck FTPing up to the site :) Fixed it :)

Waiting for some comments in what you think about this one :)

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thank you Hal, Lindsay and the Long Tall Texans. As for the audio while I have not yet listened to the edited version I did comment earlier that I would never want the reputation of this wonderful site sullied but an audio. :D

#9 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

In the future I'd suggest, rather than silence, a brief musical interlude. Maybe make it sound like whatever's going on is taking place in an elevator or massage parlor. Otherwise it sounds like a comfortable compromise.

:D

#10 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

that would be slightly disconcerting Face. Anyway Hal, this is your site, your the one editing and your the boss. Whatever you decide I think it's safe to say we got your back. Would this be true my fellow listeners?
(P.S. I was originally going to say something about you having my sword, but I don't have one to give you.) :(

#11 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Pfft. Sometimes Hal needs to be called names. It is what he wants and it would be rude of us, sir, not to provide. We are helpers.

We are helpers for love. <3

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:20 AM

Maybe make it sound like whatever's going on is taking place in an elevator or massage parlor.

The DM hold music would be perfect for that. :D

#13 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Still would be slightly disconcerting, and making light of a bad situation. Silence would probably be best if you didn't want to come off as humorous, or not taking it seriously which I think Hal is. So anyway we all now know the controversy crap. What about the actual session?

#14 mad_hatchet

mad_hatchet

Raven

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:28 AM

Not exactly like killing faceless mooks, now is it. I hate to parrot everybody else, but I think that Hal handled this very well.

I was originally going to say something about you having my sword

And my axe!

Content wise, how much of each session is either a) Ned roleplaying getting sidetracked or b) David roleplaying talking to NPCs. :D

#15 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:45 AM

Quite a bit.

#16 mad_hatchet

mad_hatchet

Raven

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

Oh, and from "Supertroopers":

Mac: But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun!
Thorny: [referring to Farva] Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic.
Foster: [after a pause] Which... makes them not really shenanigans at all.

#17 JoeGun

JoeGun

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSunny SD

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:38 PM

I just finished this episode, and honestly thought it sounded fine. The cut didn't seem like an issue at all. Thanks for all the audio goodness!

#18 mkenaz

mkenaz

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPHX AZ

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:34 PM

Good Show, somewhat humorous, you must keep in mind that this is the point of roleplaying doing horrible things that you would never do in real life right?

#19 shadowhen

shadowhen

Kobold

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

Agreed.

In an RPG I've been working on forever I have provided tons of rather evil options, as a great deal of the game deals with the players morality.

I mean, you can walk in to the item store, rob the place and kill the clerk. Then roll across the ocean to another city, purchase some slaves and have them fight in the arena for your profit. I mean, I left the option open of sacrificing your pary members in an attempt to bring about the end of the world. Of course on the flip side, you can purchase your items, buy the slaves and then set them free and try to stop the whole "end the world" thing.

So the question is, who is the evil one? Is it me for providing the option (and incentive) of killing the prostitute in your brothel that has been holding out on you, or is it the player, for selecting that option?

The funny thing is, I think that question is the point of the game.

#20 fool2046

fool2046

Goblin

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Good Show, somewhat humorous, you must keep in mind that this is the point of roleplaying doing horrible things that you would never do in real life right?

Good post to decloak on! Welcome, and I heartily agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge