#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

The party run run run from a big pointy demon and end up getting arrested for the murder of the guy they were going to see.

Rolemaster Session 21

Filesize: 82MB

EPICs Podcast Updated!

Let me know what you think!

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#2 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Huzzah! More Rolemaster for the main site :D

#3 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:54 PM

Thank you Mr. Hal. Thank you Rolemaster players.

#4 coffeedemon

coffeedemon

Kobold

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCourtenay, BC Canada

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:14 PM

I'm on Episode 16 so far, really enjoying this game. After Mister Metal took the 00 crit a few sessions back and kept going, I'm starting to wonder if anyone's going to die.

I vote DEATH!

#5 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:49 PM

I'm on Episode 16 so far, really enjoying this game. After Mister Metal took the 00 crit a few sessions back and kept going, I'm starting to wonder if anyone's going to die.

I vote DEATH!

Heh, when I first started listening to these and hearing some of the criticals I thought for sure someone would be dying about every other session. Surprisingly it's turned out to be better balanced than the initial first impression.... that or there's a hell of a lot of luck floating around the table.

#6 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

I think Hal is going easy on them.

#7 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

Thank you Hal and others. :D

#8 coffeedemon

coffeedemon

Kobold

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCourtenay, BC Canada

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:19 PM

Yeah Hal's going easy on them for sure. Nothing wrong with that, every RP group has their own style. Some players hate to die, some GMs hate to kill players.

#9 errand

errand

Errand

• Patrons
  • 824 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 02:44 AM

Na. Hal has no trouble killing off players :)
World's Largest Dungeon was a good example.
Oddly enough, Balazar was the only one to get through unmurderfied.

#10 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hal isn't going easy on them they just have been very very lucky. I think the only time he has gone easy on them in Rolemaster is when he rolled a 66 crit on David on the very first crit roll on the first episode. :D

#11 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

It sounded like he went easy on them with the healing herbs during the near TPK in the Snowman-on-Watch incident.

(I'm not sure that's reached general release yet though)

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

That may be true (though not yest here). Next one I think or the one after I think.

There are some points where a TPK look inevitable and you have to consider if you just want to throw in the towel and start something new or back off a little and give the players some slack :)

I am not going easy on the players with regards crits. THe only slack I cut there was when David's first crit was a 66 and would have killed him :D

Since I started running this my dice have been hitting fine but critting rubibish :) Perhaps they like the game as well :D

Hal :hal:

#13 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:06 AM

Well that suits me just fine. I am a sadistic young man so the worst the crit the harder I laugh.

#14 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:33 AM

Well that suits me just fine. I am a sadistic young man so the worst the crit the harder I laugh.

What a coincidence: the more outlandish the crits we take, the funnier it is :P

#15 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

In my own experience, when you sit down in your armchair and read the crit tables, you tend to say something like, "OMFG, characters will be dropping like flies!" At the table, though, it is really quite balanced. Simple probability mechanics make the insta-kills fairly rare (the players in Hal's group seem to get them more frequently than average, but that may be a function of the party size). And of course, Mogar's lack of a specific anatomy helps terrifically.

Another survival factor that cannot be mentioned enough is Ned; when the crit against you reads 'Die in six rounds', and the elf can stroll along three rounds later and make you all better... I would not be giving Ned half as much shit as he gets. :)

#16 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

But if the elf didn't take the shit he took. It wouldn't be as funny.Of course we could all be wrong and it could be Moegar's fault. Usually is... Or the Albatrosity's now that I think about it.

#17 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

But if the elf didn't take the sit he took. It wouldn't be as funny.Of course we could all be wrong and it could be Moegar's fault. Usually is... Or the Albatrosity's now that I think about it.

I'm totally okay with blaming the Albatrosity. :P

#18 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:24 AM

Then blame him we shall. I now publicly and officially announce it the Albatrosity's fault. Blame court is now adjourned.

#19 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

I think D&D 3e forewarns against modifying crits or adding fumbles, though it has rules for them I think. the main issue is that in a long running campaign, a PC is subjected to a large number of possible crits or fumbles, not percentage-wise, but number-wise. The thinking is that a crit or fumble will eventually do a PC in. Make crits or fumbles more deadly, and you raise the certainty.

But, with a healer, crits doesn't have to be leathal in Rolemaster, so it's got a built in balance.

#20 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:58 AM

That's exactly my point: as long as the elf is clocked-in, it is only the insta-kills that'll ruin your day. So far, the only one who has gotten them are David, and they've been mitigated by his lack of physiology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge