44 replies to this topic

#21 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:22 AM

My group made it as far as about halfway through Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, and I finally had to call it quits. They give up any pretense of roleplaying as that series of modules progresses, you don't even get to pick what direction to go anymore.

I'm currently GMing this. Oh dear gods it is badly done. Very much room, door, room, door, room, door... The text describes other places but no-one goes there, so no need to worry about them (and they're certainly not on the map!)

I'm been skipping encounters (and it doesn't matter!), and tomorrow will be the final session. Huzzah!

My main frustration with it is that there is an interesting story here about this weird place in the Shadowfell and the affect it has... and yet, the players never find it out! What's the point? Gaah!

#22 Sonyakdragon

Sonyakdragon

Raven

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

have to admit my gaming group threw the modules out and the selcted dm started her own world ( yeah thats right we take turns dming) it's alot more fun now and we have tons of role playing options and other then A little rail roading we are able to choose paths. yeah she went for the your prisoners thats how your together route but hey it worked :P shes done better with it then whomever they have wrighting the modules...

So throw away the modules and make your own adventures :P

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

( yeah thats right we take turns dming)

You non-conformist, you!

#24 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

I just threw up some Kobold Hall from the Imperial RPG Club. They are doing 4e :)

Go getcha fix :)

Hal :hal:

#25 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

I did this whole long rambling essay about what to listen to and why. At the end I realised I could summarise it into the following three sentences:

1. Listen to the Whartson Hall stuff

2. Anything will do, but SLIDEways in particular.

3. Become a patron, as you get lots more of their stuff, and contrary to what BJB says, they rock and should be listened to by as many people as possible.

#26 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

I'd like 4e to be done again too, maybe trying out non-WotC modules or Hal's own thing.

I still miss Torrin, shame he died, was a favorite after Splug. Had an upbeat yet suicidal attitude towards adventuring, and was a good scaly meat shield/trap detector.

Always hoped he'd realized to mark his enemies though, like, marking everyone he attacks (hit or miss) with his dragonborn breath. Really, he lived a long, long while despite practically not using 2 class features.

#27 CaptainHorn

CaptainHorn

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLakeland, FL

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:12 AM

hey HAL, are you trying to follow the series of Modules pre-made? or are you just jumping around?

#28 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

hey HAL, are you trying to follow the series of Modules pre-made? or are you just jumping around?

The Texan group played through Shadowfell and Thunderspire in order. They then played through much of Pyramid of Shadows before losing momentum and deciding to give 4e a break for a while. This was the point when they started playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay.

#29 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

Yes - thats correct. We may well pick up where we wandered off once the desire to play 4e returns :)

Hal :hal:

#30 DMSamuel

DMSamuel

The Crotchety Old DM

• Patrons
  • 63 posts
  • LocationDownstate. NY, USA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:03 PM

I agree with much of what has been said here. I don't necessarily think this is a 4e phenomenon though - it has always seemed very hack-and-slash if you played a module without adjustment (4e just seems to personify it more than the other editions).

I am currently running a campaign in my own setting and not using the modules at all - my players love 4e and I am having a good time with it myself. Because I don't use the modules I can work many more situations into the game where my players are forced to roleplay (forced may be too strong a word, though).

I am currently listening through the shadowfell podcasts and plan on listening to the others as well (not just 4e, but Warhammer and rolemaster as well) but I would definitely like to hear a home-made module DMed by Hal in the 4e system. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will happen, until then I will wait patiently and not complain. There is already enough here for me to enjoy as it is, getting a Hal homebrew 4e podcast would just be icing on the cake.

Maybe some of us should get together and write a module for him to run?

#31 Merlin

Merlin

Kobold

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

I agree with much of what has been said here. I don't necessarily think this is a 4e phenomenon though - it has always seemed very hack-and-slash if you played a module without adjustment (4e just seems to personify it more than the other editions).

I am currently running a campaign in my own setting and not using the modules at all - my players love 4e and I am having a good time with it myself. Because I don't use the modules I can work many more situations into the game where my players are forced to roleplay (forced may be too strong a word, though).

I'm currently homestyling a campaign in 4e and having a blast doing it. However, i slow the game down considerably from the "level every 2.5 sessions" formula by adding, y'know, social interaction that isn't mediated by game mechanics (I'm looking at you, Skill Challenges). I think the system is at it's most boring (and worst) when the game is a series of tactical combat encounters spaced out by resting periods. Chuck social skill challenges and the game feels a lot better to me; some of the non-social ones are kinda lame too. Not a fan of the SC. I don't use them much.

Unfortunately, semi-medieval kung fu is the meat of the game, and when writing a module that is supposed to cover 3-4 levels there's got to be a lot of it. I ran some Dungeon Magazine adventures (Scales of War 1 and 2) and the quality of them is radically different. The first is sort of a lame and boring dungeon crawl and the second is a tense siege and rescue mission. The second one was awesome and my players still talk about the two climactic encounters fondly. The second one also had a setting for roleplaying instead of just a series of tombs to raid.

For decent 4e adventures, I'd suggest something by Robert Schwalb (sp?) from Dungeon Magazine; there's also some interesting-looking modules by Ari Marmell, including a Chthulu-inspired mystery/survival horror one that i plan on running when my guys hit level 8, which is called "The Last Breaths of Ashenport".

Don't tell them.

-Merlin

#32 DMSamuel

DMSamuel

The Crotchety Old DM

• Patrons
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, I slow my group down too - I personally think leveling every 2.5 sessions is crap. My sessions run 4 hours once a week - there is no way to level every 2.5 unless it is ALL combat, which stinks, so I don't do it.

Thanks for the tips RE dungeon mag - I haven't really had time to look at it, but I surely will soon.

#33 Merlin

Merlin

Kobold

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yeah, I slow my group down too - I personally think leveling every 2.5 sessions is crap. My sessions run 4 hours once a week - there is no way to level every 2.5 unless it is ALL combat, which stinks, so I don't do it.

Thanks for the tips RE dungeon mag - I haven't really had time to look at it, but I surely will soon.

Well you have to be an Insider to see the mag now, but all the modules i reference are the free material they used to promote 4e right after launch. So you can always at least use those. ;)

If you happen to be an insider you're all set as far as content goes, but it's again hit or miss imo. That Robert Schwalb dude seems to send in some good articles on a regular basis, however. I generally like his stuff.

-Merlin

#34 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

Yeah, Dungeon has some good adventures, but I'd have to go back and look to remember which ones.

I think, in retrospect, that Pyramid of Shadows was considered the worst of the official H series modules. The author was obviously trying to do some sort of old school dungeon crawl homage, but...eh.

Keep on the Shadowfell was a bad adventure, but totally worth doing just cause it's the module basically everyone has played. Besides, anything that inspired Splugg can't be all bad. :D

The first paragon module, King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, won an ennie for "best adventure" apparently. I don't know if I go that far, but I like it.

I don't own any of the other p modules, but everybody seems to hate, hate, hate E-1 and E-2. Not sure about the last one.

#35 DMSamuel

DMSamuel

The Crotchety Old DM

• Patrons
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, Dungeon has some good adventures, but I'd have to go back and look to remember which ones.

I think, in retrospect, that Pyramid of Shadows was considered the worst of the official H series modules. The author was obviously trying to do some sort of old school dungeon crawl homage, but...eh.

Keep on the Shadowfell was a bad adventure, but totally worth doing just cause it's the module basically everyone has played. Besides, anything that inspired Splugg can't be all bad. :D

The first paragon module, King of the Trollhaunt Warrens, won an ennie for "best adventure" apparently. I don't know if I go that far, but I like it.

I don't own any of the other p modules, but everybody seems to hate, hate, hate E-1 and E-2. Not sure about the last one.

Yeah, it's really a shame actually, that WotC isn't putting out a greater variety of adventures. They have a real opportunity to do some awesome stuff, with some focused more on roleplaying and others focused on crawls, and still others focused on exploration and what not.

I remember when it was really fun to go out and buy a module so that we could run through it - some of the old series were great... the U series (starting with the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh) and the A series (starting with Slave Pits of the Undercity) were particularly loved by my gaming group back then.

I think I read somewhere that the adventures really aren't much of a moneymaker for WotC, but that the hardbound books are, which is why there is a lopsided generation of rules types books versus adventures. I can't remember where I read that, so I can't attribute it to a particular person, nor can I say how valid it may be. It does make sense though, in explaining why they don't have greater variety in modules.

Of course, its only been a year or so since 4e was released, and maybe my memory of the amount of modules available at a given time when I was younger is just brown out of proportion to reality. Oh well, that's what happens when you get old.

#36 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

I think I read somewhere that the adventures really aren't much of a moneymaker for WotC, but that the hardbound books are, which is why there is a lopsided generation of rules types books versus adventures. I can't remember where I read that, so I can't attribute it to a particular person, nor can I say how valid it may be. It does make sense though, in explaining why they don't have greater variety in modules.

That was definitely Wizards position going back to the launch of 3rd edition. They stated that modules sold so badly they were almost loss leaders and that they expected 3rd party support to provide all the modules for them after their initial adventure path.

Late 3rd edition, they realized no one else was jumping on the module train either, so they started putting out some new ones. I think they currently see modules as good for building the D&D community, even though they still don't sell worth crap.

Not sure what their long term plans for adventure support is going to be for 4th.

So far we've got the intial 9 modules going up to level 30, the Dungeon Delves (mini adventures) book, 1 new module for each campaign setting, and Dungeon magazine.

I suspect they're just going to lean mostly on Dungeon, since it's in house and available to all subscribers.

#37 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 31 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

I think it would make sense that rules books would sell more than modules. When I go to the FLGS and see people playing an RPG, almost everyone has a PHB or equivalent, but of course only one person has the module.

One of the reasons I liked D&D was that there were several modules to choose from though, and you could get what you liked.

#38 DMSamuel

DMSamuel

The Crotchety Old DM

• Patrons
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:59 PM

I think it would make sense that rules books would sell more than modules. When I go to the FLGS and see people playing an RPG, almost everyone has a PHB or equivalent, but of course only one person has the module.

Good point - I suppose that is true. I guess I am the type of person that collects full sets of things that I like, so even as a player I like to have modules and such.

One of the reasons I liked D&D was that there were several modules to choose from though, and you could get what you liked.

Yes, I agree - I hope they try and do that with 4e

#39 goonalan

goonalan

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationGrimbo

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

Had the same problem with the WOTC adventures- Keep etc., my players are moving real slow XP wise, although exactly as I planned. We play once/week- 5 hour session, some weeks there are lots of fights, others it's a mix- as I've gone through the core modules I've changed more and more- Thunderspire encompassed all the add-ons plus plenty of other stuff from other sources.

My players seem to be enjoying it, I've also remodelled and dropped in the Sellswords Campaign from Goodman Games- all with the same overarching plot line, Orcus has been very bad.

Level up every 4-5 sessions or so, we're 35 sessions in and one of the characters, Cathal- Warrior of Kord, has just hit 8th level, although Eruan, Eladrin Wizard, is only level 6 (mainly due to a late start).

I find the 4e encounters system much too easy, I threw a level 9 encounter at them when they we're only just level 3- they broke the back of it, just- made for some epic play. It warms the cockles of my heart to see the players cowering in a lonely room in the midst of some terrible dungeon preying no more of the bad guys are going to find them. That's another good point- none of my dungeons are static, trip the door guard and wander away and the inhabitants will come looking for you.

I wrote up the start of the action but have switched over to a more report style, with pictures, we play using Maptools and Skype, I'm in the UK- the PC's are in the UK (2), USA (1) and Serbia (2). We have to fight the technology every now and then but it seems to work.

In some ways 4e seems to be a return to hack and slash days, the encounter designs in WOTC products do leave me exasperated, I just read through E1- terrible in places. However I mix it up, forget it's 4e and go back to my previous edition ways, let them fight three kobolds and get a milestone for it, I want the story to go on, me and the players are less bothered by the XP rush (I don't even tell them how many XP they need to go up a level- obviously I do XP very differently- good rolepley, making the whole crew laugh, ingenious ideas, solving riddles, working out where the plots going and whose next on their list, I think that's all of it... oh and fighting).

What I'm saying is 4e seems to be broke if you do it how WOTC say, if you just ignore that and go with what you now- version x of D&D that works for you, well- no problems so far.

The write up of our adventures, The Friday Knights, can be found in a number of places- I'll keep updating every saturday in the new format, why not have a look here at ENWorld-

http://www.enworld.o... ... crest.html

Oh and Hal, see the above, I stopped listening to the 4e podcasts just before the group stopped playing- sorry, but don't do it, either go Goodman Games style, or rip them apart. The WOTC core adventures mostly suck, too much paper spent on spelling out meaningless encounters- they don't even join properly- weak.

That said I enjoyed some of the podcasts, and have been listening here for I think three years now- keep up the superb work- huzzah.

Cheers Goonalan

#40 plus1pants

plus1pants

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Hello everyone. I have just recently discovered this podcast. I'm listening to the Keep on the Shadowfell Sessions (started with that because I'm currently running my friends through that adventure). Listening to part 5 at the moment.

I have days at work when I gotta put in extra long hours. These recorded game sessions really help to pass the time. Thanks for putting them all up for us to enjoy.

Quick question here, I gotta ask because its been nagging at me for a while. What is that noise in the background? It sounds like someone sketching on rough paper with the side of a pencil in huge broad strokes.....or sanding a block of wood....I have no idea. Its been there since Session 1.

At first I thought someone was sketching at the table. Now, I'm not so sure. If it is someone sketching, I also assume they're drawing the D&D party or scenes from the adventure and if so....hey, are they posted up some where for me to check out?

Anyways, love the podcast. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to listen to Thunderspire and then maybe some Warhammer or Rolemaster. But since my gaming group is playing 4e at the moment, I look forward to more 4e recorded sessions. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge