44 replies to this topic

#1 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Subject says it all... I sure hope there are more 4e podcasts coming soon. I'm starting to crash...... :coffee:

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:45 AM

I do have plans to return to 4e once we have taken a breather with Warhammer :)

Why not give the Warhammer or Rolemaster games a listen in the mean time ? :P

Hal :hal:

#3 Dwarth

Dwarth

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC, Canada

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:04 PM

I personnally prefer the Warhammer and Rolemaster podcast.. it's less dice roling and more RP, also the roll of die have crit and are more descriptive!

#4 DM501

DM501

Kobold

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

I have to agree, I came for the 4e, stayed for the Warhammer. If you haven't, give them a listen (Also listen to the character creation!)

#5 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

I don't know about you, but I came for not much and stayed for Tomb of Haggemoth (a setting and characters I think everyone, including you guys, would love to revisit).

Still, I wouldn't mind having more 4e after Warhammer.

#6 Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:59 PM

Now I'm torn, should I continue with Thunderspire since I completed the Shadowfell podcast, or shift over to the Warhammer or Rolemaster ones which have now piqued my interest after reading this thread?

Have you guys ever thought about jumping on the "old school" bandwagon and podcast some OD&D adventure, or one of the new retro-clones (Labyrinth Lord, Sword & Wizardy, etc.)?

#7 Caelvan

Caelvan

Goblin

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

I am a bit of a D&D fan myself, and have played very little of the other role playing games (aside from a brief foray into Palladium). I would really like to see more 4e games since I know the system, but I have to admit I havn't listned to the other game sessions yet. I have the Warhammer session lined up for when I finish with Keep on Shadowfell, and now that I see these comments ... getting a little excited for it.

#8 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:54 PM

Accordlands! I mean, if you haven't listened to them yet, Accordlands is very good, as is World's Largest Dungeon.

Also, the AD&D game of Temple of Elemental Evil is great.

#9 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 23 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

Moomintroll, if you search through the audio there are several 'old school' offerings. As Melkior mentioned there is the Temple of Elemental Evil. There are also the Whartson Hall recordings, and probably the odd other random adventure (can't remember off the top of my head). :D

#10 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2009 - 03:47 AM

The Sunless Citadel is entertaining. The Banewarrens aren't bad either. Both are (roughly) the UK group after World's Largest Dungeon, but before Hal and Lindsay moved to Texas.

#11 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:16 AM

I've said it once and I'll say it again. . .Tomb of Hagemoth! ! Listen to those sessions! ! If you are raised on the old school DnD and are unsure of the Warhammer and the Rolemaster. . .take the plunge. It is entertaining and educational. It gives you loads of ideas for story hooks because Hal is the Professor at the DM and all of the PC's are top notch role players. Less dice does not mean less fun. I got lots of ideas on how to improve my own skills from listeniing to all the formats.
Once you get into the groove of role-playing-listening , my personal favorite for games off the beaten path is the "Traveller" sessions. There are few in number but exciting and fun to listen to all the same.

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:21 AM

Have you guys ever thought about jumping on the "old school" bandwagon and podcast some OD&D adventure, or one of the new retro-clones (Labyrinth Lord, Sword & Wizardy, etc.)?

Whartson Hall recorded a game using the "original edition" Dungeons & Dragons rules quite a while ago (well before Gary Gyagx died, certainly), so I don't know that we were exactly jumping on the bandwagon, but it was a simple fantasy dungeon bash and mainly served to remind me why I don't run fantasy dungeon bashes.. :( Unfortunately (or on reflection, perhaps not so unfortunately) it's only available in the Patron's area of the site. The same goes for the AD&D sessions we did a little later. You're probably much better off following the other suggestions presented here.

#13 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Whartson Hall recorded a game using the "original edition" Dungeons & Dragons rules quite a while ago (well before Gary Gyagx died, certainly), so I don't know that we were exactly jumping on the bandwagon, but it was a simple fantasy dungeon bash and mainly served to remind me why I don't run fantasy dungeon bashes.. :( Unfortunately (or on reflection, perhaps not so unfortunately) it's only available in the Patron's area of the site. The same goes for the AD&D sessions we did a little later. You're probably much better off following the other suggestions presented here.

That audio is also known as the roll a d6 oh the door is stuck audio. :twisted:

#14 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

The same goes for the AD&D sessions we did a little later. You're probably much better off following the other suggestions presented here.

I've recently been listening to those AD&D sessions again. They're very funny. There isn't a huge amount of plot, but the character interactions more than make up for it. :D

#15 HPLustcraft

HPLustcraft

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:44 PM

Hey there! First time poster, long time listener to the 4E podcasts and just recently started listener to the Warhammer podcasts...

I know there was some discussion in the forums about looking into some 4E adventures with a lot more plot and less open door/battle/open door/battle...Have you looked into this? It seems like much more effort was made to make this balanced:

http://slangdesign.c... ... n-setting/

Just a suggestion, not sure if anyone has posted about it before.

L-

PS - The Roleplaying Public Radio guys are actually how I found the RPGMP3 site and started listening to your casts...They have a link on the side and I clicked, opening up the RPGMP3 giant can of gooey greatness!

#16 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

Welcome new person. :D

#17 HPLustcraft

HPLustcraft

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

Thanks...er...old person? Wait, I'm 34...

Anyway, good to be here and hopefully I can contribute something useful that doesn't involve extreme profanity! ;-)

L-

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Good luck with that round here :)

Welcome to the forums. Nice to have you on board!

Hal :hal:

#19 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:14 PM

"I know there was some discussion in the forums about looking into some 4E adventures with a lot more plot and less open door/battle/open door/battle"

My group made it as far as about halfway through Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress, and I finally had to call it quits. They give up any pretense of roleplaying as that series of modules progresses, you don't even get to pick what direction to go anymore.

The game session is literally. "You go through the door, there's a (yourlevel+2) level encounter in it. They have no possessions. There's only one other door. You go through the door, there's a (yourlevel+3) encounter in it. They have no possessions. There's only one other door..."

Ignoring the encounter design for now, which is in fact the weakest part of the modules, it's inexplicable that anyone would design all of these one-way fortresses with only one entrance and one exit with the boss hanging out (trapped?) at the very end of the set... It's not even a maze, just one room after the next!

And at our level (19), throwing all those level+n enounters at us was too much. The last session I played one fight (just ONE!), versus just an ordinary batch of monsters, took four hours of uninterrupted dice rolling. Intolerable. Every room has the same experience fight in it, and NO treasure.

I miss earlier editions where, sure, you might have to have thirty fights before you leveled, but there was no artificial mechanic with every encounter inflated to have you level up every 8-10 encounters either. What was wrong with a room with 2 kobolds in it, and maybe 3 kobold reinforcements? I especially disagree with their current formula, where a "level 19" encounter is a level 23 monster and seven level 15 monsters or some such.

I like 4e a lot, I think it's a neat system. But they need to scrap their entire module design and encounter design system or they're going to start losing frustrated players. Or just start losing sales on their adventures as DMs chuck WotC's advise and try to make their game actually, I dunno, fun!

#20 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Based on the 4e podcasts (along with Lindsay's less than enthusiastic reception of 4e) as well as the recent comments here, I am thinking to *not* take my group through the same set of modules. Has anyone taken a group through the "Scepter Tower of Spellguard" or other 4e/WotC modules?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge