56 replies to this topic

#21 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

It's because Mary is nicer, like a mom (usually.)

If you can get her on side you might avoid an arse whipping of dad.

Is that how it usually works? :D

I think I'll stick to bastardized Deism, thank you. Much less ceremony, a lot more doing what you like to do. And it counts as a form of worship. Yes, listening to RPGMP3 podcasts is a form of worship in my religion. Yay. :D

#22 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, that's something else I never got. How is Mary supposed to intercede for us? What's the point; why not go directly to the Big Man? Isn't he loving and omnipotent? Why go the long way 'round?

In case you actually wanted a serious answer, this is one of the issues that started the Protestant movement. Martin Luther (and others) didn't think that we needed a priest, or the Pope, or a saint, etc., to talk to God for us.

In case you didn't want a serious answer, apologies and carry on. :)

#23 salvagebar

salvagebar

Kobold

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

Loving the campaign, Hal and Lindsay are their usual funny selves, but you have to find some replacement Texans. Their shouting and cackling is like jamming wooden BBQ skewers through my eardrums.

Perhaps you can find some people from Plano? I hear Planoans are a more soft-spoken lot.

#24 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

Yeah, that's something else I never got. How is Mary supposed to intercede for us? What's the point; why not go directly to the Big Man? Isn't he loving and omnipotent? Why go the long way 'round?

In case you actually wanted a serious answer, this is one of the issues that started the Protestant movement. Martin Luther (and others) didn't think that we needed a priest, or the Pope, or a saint, etc., to talk to God for us.

In case you didn't want a serious answer, apologies and carry on. :)

There is a problem with that movement, however, as once you go down that road you start to realize you don't need a church at all and you may as well stay at home on a Sunday and become a non-contemplative agnostic. Sort of puts themselves out of business. Which explains the gradual move to atheism in England.

I actually think a societal movement to atheism is a very healthy process, but there are elements found in religion that glue a stable society together and without religion we need something to replace it. Politics hasn't done it (it has had the opposite effect) and all science is good for is microwaves and laser guns.

If you can think of anything tell us all and we can start a new world order without the social rot of apathy, cynicism and blind obedience to anything that asserts the illusion of knowing the answer to anything.

Actually, keep it a secret, I'm entertained by anarchy as long as I can keep on my toes and avoid the damage.

#25 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

Welcome to the club. And I'm one of those people who thinks that we're approaching one of those periods of mass anarchy...I hate my brain.

Perhaps we should end this discussion here. This is a place to discuss the fourth session of the excellent, if Glen-less (which takes a few points away, for he is awesome), Warhammer game. If we wish to continue this, shouldn't we do it elsewhere?

#26 Rum_151

Rum_151

Stirge

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

soft-spoken

Soft-spoken & Texan generally don't go together. Plano? Well folks from the Dallas area are sort of soft spoken, sort of, just kinda full of themselves. :coffee:

#27 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:04 AM

Welcome to the club. And I'm one of those people who thinks that we're approaching one of those periods of mass anarchy...I hate my brain.

Perhaps we should end this discussion here. This is a place to discuss the fourth session of the excellent, if Glen-less (which takes a few points away, for he is awesome), Warhammer game. If we wish to continue this, shouldn't we do it elsewhere?

That's what I was thinking, but I wanted to see how long I could keep it going before someone said it. Lol.

On topic - The warhammer sessions just keep getting better and better.

A lot of people believe that a lot of rules governing role-play elements are superfluous, clunky and stunt creativity (the 4e D&D rules have been streamlined in such a way as to dump these elements - which IMHO have left them feeling shallow and hollow), but as we can see from the warhammer rules, which have them in abundance, they create inspiration for imagination and a vegicle for humour and character.

Of course, this could all be down to a group of excellent players and DM in this case, but I'm sure it helped.

#28 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:42 AM

You don't really NEED a plethora of rules for that, though.

I'm trying to raise interest in a Skype game at the moment of All Flesh Must Be Eaten. As I'm reading it, I see quite a lot things along the lines of "The storyline comes first; if you want to ignore or change a roll, don't feel bound by it!" I think a certain freedom from the rules can also inspire "imagination and a vegicle for humour and character."

What better environment than a game where character comes before luck, when within reason?

#29 Dwarth

Dwarth

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC, Canada

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:25 AM

Sweet 1st insanity point and 1st mutation... it's only a beginning!!!

Hal: Where did you get your list of mutation from?

#30 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:36 PM

He looked the mutation up in the Tome of Corruption.

#31 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

The Tome of Corruption has some truly horrid mutations in it. I especially love the several mutations that are appended by the note, "This has no effect except to be disgusting." :P

#32 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Why are a bunch of twats posting a load of anti religious crap in this thread?

#33 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Didn't think of it as anti-religious.

The conversation just went that way, I suppose. Don't worry; I put a stop to it. :D

#34 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Because given how prone these forums are to derailing it was bound to be the random discussion at one point or another.

I had $5 on pygmy elephants. Oh well, maybe next time....

#35 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

When you've had to serve on an alter on fridays, sundays and possibly other days, wasted your saturdays in confirmation and had a mad drunk irish priest hitting you around the back of the head because you aren't running fast enough down the nave to serve communion to the infirm you'll have the right to take the piss out of fairy tales.

Twat.

I apologize for the derailment.

BTW. Twat.

#36 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

Play nice, guys. I have enough of a sense of humor not to get offended by jokes about my religion, but name calling and attacks aren't going to win you any friends.

#37 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

Yes, seriously, please drop the subject now and go back to talking about the game. There is a time and a place for such things and this forum is not it. RPGMP3 is about as friendly a forum as you could ask for and off-topic chat is accepted, but this has gone too far. Please do not make the moderators take any action. Thank you.

#38 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:46 AM

And I agree. Which is why I recommend that we just stop talking about it altogether. It'll never go away if we keep bringing it up, even about how bad it is.

So...Warhammer. Nice session. Also, I'm kind of curious: for a guy who does not have any books related to Warhammer, just how bad can these mutations get?

#39 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:12 AM

Thanks folks,

Missed this one. Plus I hate coming over at the Forum Police (nee naw, nee naw (police car noise)).

I think religion is one of the topics that really is best left clear of the forums. We are a pretty mixed bag on here and I can guarentee that any religious views (unless related to fantasy or historic pantheons) will likely cause some discomfort for some poor soul.

Keep it nice a light folks :)

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#40 Dwarth

Dwarth

Kobold

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • LocationMontreal, QC, Canada

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info about the Tome of Corruption...

The only religion we should argue about are RPG related ex: what is your favorite Chaos God (I personally love Slannesh!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge