#1 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hi All,

I've been participating in Relay for Life for several years now. What is Relay for Life you ask?

Relay For Life is the American Cancer Society’s signature activity. It offers everyone in a community an opportunity to participate in the fight against cancer. Teams of people camp out at a local high school, park, or fairground and take turns walking or running around a track or path. Each team is asked to have a representative on the track at all times during the event. Relays are an overnight event, up to 24 hours in length.

The reason I participate is my wife is a cancer survivor. When she was young (4 years old), she started having severe headaches, forgot words and phrases, and lost some motor control.

When she saw a pediatrician, he said it was childhood migraines and prescribed medicine. It wasn't until she got a second opinion that the symptoms were recognized as the result of a malignant brain tumor the size of a golf ball. They operated within a week, and she had radiation treatments.

Today, she is doing great, thanks to the quick action of the doctors and surgeons. However, things could have turned out differently.

Please help support me and the American Cancer Society in this event. They use the money for research, education, advocacy and service.

The local relay I'll be in takes place April 18th and 19th, 2009 in Roseville, CA.

You can make a donation, and any amount is appreciated, or you can request a luminaria in memory of or in honor of someone affected by cancer that will be lit at the lumaria ceremony. If you let me know, I can take a picture and send it to you as well. (BTW - The money goes straight to the American Cancer Society and not to me.)

I know with the economy being tight this is a bit to ask for, so posts of support are also appreciated.

PS - While Hal said I could post this, it's not endorsed by RPGMP3, though I do listen to RPGMP3 podcasts while I walk.

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:15 PM

Well, I've given it some thought, and came up with this idea:

For every dollar donated to relay for life through the link above I'll donate a dollar to RPGMP3, up to $100.

Thank you in advance for your support!

#3 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have mentioned this to our gaming group and will be sorting out a suitable donation sorted out.

Also, as it is my birthday on the 19th of April, can I ask that anyone who might have consider sending me a gift, make a donation instead? I think y'all know how I feel about cancer..

Huge hugs for your wife :)

Thanks

Lindsay :)

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

Just a reminder that the relay is this Saturday so you still have time to donate to Relay for Life and support RPGMP3 at the same time.

#5 fictionalfemme

fictionalfemme

Goblin

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationLedyard, CT USA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:34 AM

Just waiting for my paycheck to clear on Friday. :)

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

I went to donate as a Birthday present for Lindsay; but it doesn't seem to accept PayPal. Any ideas how to get round this?

#7 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:31 PM

I'll ask the regional coordinator if there is a way to donate by PayPal and post back here.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

Danke; if not I'll try and mug Jess into letting me use her credit card again >_>

#9 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:04 PM

Apparently they are not equipped to handle PayPal. I knew at the national level they didn't, but I had hoped at the regional level that they would have a Paypal account or something.

An inelegant solution is to send the PayPal to me, and I'll make the donation to Relay for Life and to RPGMP3. If anyone is interested in doing that, send me a private message.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

I am ashamed to admit that this had completely slipped my mind. Melkior, if there is still time to donate, PM me your PayPal account and I'll send my donation to you. Due to me forgetting about this and some recent tech replacements I've had to make, it won't be much, but I've a few dollars in my account.

Again I offer my apologies.

Danny :plot;

#11 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:52 PM

No problem. There is still time to donate. My wife, son and I have done the survivor lap this morning, and are going back later today to walk. The relay ends at 10:00 a.m. Sunday local time, so that's 17 hours away or so.

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

The payment has now been sent; it's not much but I could only send what was in my PayPal account, due to it taking 7-9 days for money to go from my account to PayPal.

Happy Birthday Lindsay!

Danny :plot:

#13 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

Pictures are now up at:

Thanks!

#14 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

Nice job mate :)

Next year give us some more lead time and we will see if we can muster a stronger response :D

Hal :hal:

#15 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

What Hal said, but more of it! Out of interest how much did rpgmp3.com raise for R4L anyway?

#16 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:32 AM

Illiani, I sent you a PM.

#17 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:42 PM

Things have been really busy this year, so I didn't have a chance to set up a donation page for Relay for Life this year.

But, let me encourage anyone in the USA to check out http://www.relayforlife.org/relay/ and type in their zip code to find local events that they can participate in or donate to. Our local event is http://main.acsevent...try&fr_id=20531

Beth and I will be walking next weekend, probably with iPods (and in my case Accordlands) in tow.

#18 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

For the Canucks on the site, http://convio.cancer... ... me_accueil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge