S L I D E Ways Session 1

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

I myself love this game you've cooked up, Jon. If what I've gathered from the first installment is correct, you've taken Sliders, Quantum Leap, and perhaps even a bit of that crappy Jean-Claude VanDamme film the title of which ecsapes me* and thrown it all into the creative Cuisinart. I'm looking forward to future episodes.

*= Yes, upon further reflection it occurs to me that using the terms "Jean-Claude VanDamme" and "crappy film" in the same sentence is redundant, and that I have to narrow down the field considerably if I expect anyone to help with the title. Don't bother. :-)

#22 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

The crappy film you may be thinking of is Time Cop. :D

#23 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

I myself love this game you've cooked up, Jon. If what I've gathered from the first installment is correct, you've taken Sliders, Quantum Leap, and perhaps even a bit of that crappy Jean-Claude VanDamme film the title of which ecsapes me* and thrown it all into the creative Cuisinart.

Nice to hear that people are enjoying it. The movie you're thinking of clearly isn't anything I've ever Timecopped -- uh, ever watched...

EDIT: Clearly some people are Keener about such movies than I... ;)

I actually wrote a setting document for this one, which is a far cry from my habitual "seat of the pants" approach. Here's the partial list of influences:

Inspirations:
Tom Moldvay - Lords of Creation; Doctor Who; Michael Moorcock - The Jerry Cornelius stories; Fringeworthy; Sliders; Sapphire and Steel; The Tomorrow People; Larry Niven and Steven Barnes - Dream Park; Poul Anderson - The Time Patrol stories; Passages; Fritz Leiber - The Big Time and Changewar; L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt: The Compleat Enchanter.

It's all a bit of a muddle, of course, but everyone seemed happy with the result. I do need to clarify some parts of the system, though. Fudge allows a great deal of customisation, but I let a few things through that either overlap or are a little too woolly.

Oh, and that Korean mallet Weasel was talking about? Not manga. He has photos of the guy doing demonstrations with it... 8O

#24 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

Inspirations:
Tom Moldvay - Lords of Creation; Doctor Who; Michael Moorcock - The Jerry Cornelius stories; Fringeworthy; Sliders; Sapphire and Steel; The Tomorrow People; Larry Niven and Steven Barnes - Dream Park; Poul Anderson - The Time Patrol stories; Passages; Fritz Leiber - The Big Time and Changewar; L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt: The Compleat Enchanter.

Balgin's post made me think of something else your game reminds me of - The Children of the Stones. Cue bad Seventies effects! :D

#25 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 05 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

The Children of the Stones.

Isn't that that series of quite good books about cavemen? A good trilogy (but never a tv series as far as I recall).

#26 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:13 AM

I love the intro btw.

#27 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:03 AM

The Children of the Stones.

Isn't that that series of quite good books about cavemen? A good trilogy (but never a tv series as far as I recall).

I was thinking of this series.

#28 weasel

weasel

Goblin

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:28 PM

I disagree with Weasel's weaselling early on in this one.

Ah, but I think you'll find I'm right, nevertheless :lol: ... search your feelings, Balgin. You know it to be true.

A good example of this is actualy his argument for lumping all physical abilities under one. Dodging is not the same as being tough and enduring pain. Being acrobatic could make you somewhat fitter than the average person but really wouldn't help you hold your breath underwater that much (nowhere near as much of a difference as when it would come to acrobatic stuff).

Ah, the age old argument of sim vs narrative. I was actually suggesting a system like sorcerer. There you have:

cover (your job) + a description
stamina (physical) + a description
will (mental) + a description
lore (magic) + a description

... and that's it.

So you might have something like Porco Rosso:
Cover 4 (air-ace pilot)
stamina 3 (war veteran)
will 4 (battle-hardened)
lore 1 (been turned into a pig)

Of course, you could stat things like in the physical world, but that way lies gurps, and hence madness.

Going from that to the four foot hammer really threw me 'though. Untill then I was under the happy illussion that it might not be amanga picture he'd shown the group.

au contraire...

Posted Image

#29 abouffard

abouffard

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

As a fan of the Deryni milieu, and one who bought both the Deryni Adventure book and the 10th Anniversary Fudge book, I'm very interested in following along with this adventure.

How often do you anticipate playing and posting the audio, once a week?

I've not yet run or played in a Fudge-based game thus it's very cool to be able to listen in on one as its just getting started and get a feel for how it goes.

You're off to a great start and thanks for recording and posting it.

--Andy
--Houston, TX

#30 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Greetings new poster person :)

Welcome to the forums, it is nice to have you on board - especially considering you are from Houston, where Linday and I, and some of the players on the audios, currently reside.

Welcome welcome :D

Hal :hal:

#31 abouffard

abouffard

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi Hal.

Thanks for the greetings.

I mostly play historical minis (I've been the Mini Games Coordinator for the last two OwlCons) but have also played and GM'd many a RPG in my time.

My most recent RPG interests are Fudge (Deryni) and Dark Heresy, but I have not yet found a group of other players/GMs who are like minded.

I most often frequent Asgard Games on 59 and Kirby, particularly on Monday evenings.

--Andy

#32 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:59 PM

Never been to Asgard Games. Might have to come and give it a look :)

I am based in Cypress (out in the sticks) so pretty much everything is a drive :)

Currently I am running Warhmmer and have become strongly attracted to Dark Heresy. I love the setting but I am not sure most of my players would be enamored by sci-fi (even dirty gritty sci fi) :)

Might have to see if I can pick up the main rules and see what its like :)

Hal :hal:

#33 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

How often do you anticipate playing and posting the audio, once a week?

Hi Andy. Welcome to the crazy :twisted:

I tend to run games in fairly short bursts and then return to them again later on, as with the two series of Traveller adventures we have on the site. It should be much the same with this one. We finished playing the first adventures a while ago and are currently gearing up for a few Savage Worlds games, but I hope to get back to my "baby" this year :D It's designed to be episodic, so don't worry that after we wrap up the first couple of adventures it appears to end on a cliffhanger (not mid-adventure, just a teaser for the next part). Hal posts them up when he can find the time, poor busy fellow that he is.

Have you seen Now Playing? I originally planned to use it for this game but in the end went for a slightly fuzzier build of Fudge, but it's a great semi-generic version of the game nonetheless.

#34 abouffard

abouffard

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:20 PM

Thanks BigJack.

So this SLIDEways session is, in essence, in "syndication"? :) Meaning you've already completed this adventure some months ago and its just now being posted?

No problem, it doesn't have to be "live" to be enjoyable, but Hal does run the risk of "hooking" an audience that now looks forward to each episode when it appears. :-)

So when did this particular first Fudge adventure get played/completed?

Thanks again - having GM'd Traveller in the past I'll have to go back and listen to your Traveller podcasts now.

--Andy

#35 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

So this SLIDEways session is, in essence, in "syndication"? :) Meaning you've already completed this adventure some months ago and its just now being posted?... So when did this particular first Fudge adventure get played/completed?

We started it in October of last year, but the final session of this first arc (part six) was only posted in the patrons' area of the site about a month ago.

Generally recordings appear in a "hidden" section of the site first, available to people who sign up to regularly donate to the site, helping Hal and Lindsay with the running costs. These are the "raw" files, without nifty intro music and the like :D After a while they are tidied up and moved over to the main part of the site and the relevant podcast feed, Community or Epics. Some recordings make the transfer faster than others and a few remain forever behind the veil as a sort of "thank you" bonus for the patrons, but sooner or later most of the games make it out to the wilds, free to frolic with the public in the fresh air of the Internet :D

By the way, if you do listen to Traveller I should mention that we (the Whartson Hall group) upgraded our recording equipment during those games, so I think that the first session or two has slightly poorer sound quality.

#36 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

...upgraded our recording equipment during those games, so I think that the first session or two has slightly poorer sound quality.

But the play quality is just as good. :D

#37 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

Howdy new person!

I finally got around to starting this game. i haven't finished the first session yet, but since I'm here I thought I'd like to comment on Weasel. He's weaselly, that one.

#38 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

I noticed BJB's post on the Fudge forums advertising the SLIDEways game... good idea that. Did it generate any interest that you heard of? (apart from the slightly non-social zero replies on the Fudge forums that is! :D )

#39 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Did it generate any interest that you heard of? (apart from the slightly non-social zero replies on the Fudge forums that is! :D )

Not a sausage :D Fudge seems to have had its day as far as Internet debate goes, so the forum generates very little interest at the moment. I check there every few days but hardly ever see a topic I feel like commenting on; certainly nobody has contacted me directly about the sessions.

It's a pity in a way, but then the trouble with Fudge is that it was forged in the very early days of the 'net. By the time the web was in almost every household and a common part of our lives the creative force behind the game had largely been spent. Now, if I'd used FATE for the game (which is actually just a Fudge variant) it would probably have attracted much more attention, because games like Spirit of the Century and Starblazer Adventures mean that FATE is very much the flavour of the moment.

I'm toying with using PDQ, the system behind Truth and Justice, for S L I D E W A Y S when we return to it, which might possibly have a slightly higher profile.

#40 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Ok, I've just started listening... A little late to the party on this one I know!

But wait, the rumours they are true! Huzzah! It's proving very entertaining so far! :D

Thanks Wharties, Hal and Lindsay. Now looking forward to session 2!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge