#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:39 PM

A new game from the Whartson Hall crew with another excellent intro :) That Martin just gets better and better and the game is pretty superb as well :D

S L I D E Ways Session 1

Filesize: 49MB

What in the World??

Three complete strangers find that they have a mutual friend, but do any of them really know her at all?
Character generation, followed by the first adventure.

Community Podcast Updated!

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#2 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Hal and Whartsies.

#3 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:02 AM

Great intro. :D

#4 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Great intro. :D

Thanks Isis:) The intro is Jon's idea really and his script this time. I just press the right buttons on Garageband.

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

I just press the right buttons on Garageband.

Mart is trying out this new modesty thing. We're not sure whether it suits him or not :lol:

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

So, what is the pretentiously titled S L I D E W A Y S (just one of the many silly ways it gets written) all about? Essentially it's an experiment in making a game that works around my weaknesses, so the system is easily fudged, the format is deliberately episodic and the adventure ideas are drawn from things I thought of whilst listening to songs by XTC. Couldn't be easier. And of course the "setting" is influenced by Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius stories, Tom Moldvay's game Lords of Creation and a Jerry O'Connell TV show from the nineties, the name of which escapes me for the moment... :wink:

Some links of possible interest:

The system is Fudge, which you can either buy in a very spiffy hardback full of extra material or else download for free from the publisher, Grey Ghost Press, Inc. Some of you might know the game Spirit of the Century which uses a variant of Fudge as its core.

Every adventure takes its title - and in some cases considerably more than that - from a song by Swindon's greatest pop band XTC. You can also read more about them, including song lyrics, over at Chalkhills.

The title of this episode - What in the World??.. - comes from XTC's foray into their psychedelic alter-egos The Dukes of Stratosphear. You can find the track for download on iTunes, from the compilation album Chips from the Chocolate Fireball. Not that everyone is as bothered about the musical influence as I am, but they really are a tremendously great band :D And since I have more than three hundred tracks by them there should be no shortage of adventure ideas...

The intro captures a sort of Pushing Daisies / Jonathan Creek feel, which is about as appropriate to game as anything else, given that we can't actually afford to licence anything by XTC.

#7 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:25 PM

Hey ! ! ! ! Did any of you guys ever notice that if you say XTC really fast it sounds like the word ecstacy?. . . .
How cool is that! . . . .I wonder if they meant to do that?
Makes me wonder if Buck Cherry knows that their name is Chuck Berry all mixed up? . . .
Those kooky rock stars. . . Always thinkin', they are.

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:47 PM

Thank you WHG and Hal this is an excellent game. :D

#9 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:18 PM

The non-patrons finally get a taste of what is, dare I say, currently my favourite game hosted by RPGMP3. Great stuff, great plot (really) bad puns (really) and a whole bunch of other stuff which would totally spoil it for those who haven't heard it already.

Enjoy, then become a patron and get the other sessions which we have had for ages now :D

#10 Paws_McNasty

Paws_McNasty

Raven

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEast Vanada

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:20 AM

Good stuff Whartsies!

I love Fudge. It's one of my go-to games. I like the mostly-complete rules that allow you to refine things to your preferred degree of detail. Jon had it spot on with the comment about Fudge being not so much a game but rather a source of much on-line debate. Ha!

Have you, Jon, seen the Fudge-On-the-Fly variant? It was developed by Rob Donoghue of Evil Hat/Spirit of the Century fame.

http://www.fudgefact... ... e_fly.html

I've used it quite a bit for pick up games. Anyway, just thought I'd point it out in case you ever decide to use Fudge again. Nudge, nudge.

Eager to hear more.

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

Good stuff Whartsies!

Thank you.

Have you, Jon, seen the Fudge-On-the-Fly variant? It was developed by Rob Donoghue of Evil Hat/Spirit of the Century fame.

I have indeed. Most things Fudge have crossed my desk at some point; there's a huge folder of downloads on my computer and half a shelf of print products to my left. I considered using Fudge on the Fly but decided in the end to try letting the players semi-customise a basic build of the system. It probably didn't work 100% but I think that a few minor tweaks will make it much more satisfying.

The core element, and the main reason I chose Fudge for the game, is the Flux stat. Precisely what it does (and, indeed, whether it does anything) changes as the game moves on, so I had to pick a system that would allow a great deal of flexibility. Flux is also unusual in that a higher score won't always be a good thing: in one setting it might represent telekinetic powers, but in another it could indicate your "life force" and make you show up rather temptingly to any vampires in the neighbourhood... It's partly there to avoid someone, deliberately or not, from making a killer character by pumping one or two stats full of points. Getting this to work with another RPG is not easy, although I've been tinkering with a version for Savage Worlds - in the end it might simply be too much trouble... and anyway, I'm very fond of Fudge :)

#12 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

Every time you mention Fudge Dice in this game I get the munchies. :)

#13 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:29 AM

Ooo! That was exciting. :) Thank you very much. The rules discussion was pretty interesting, and I look forward to seeing how they work in AP.

I really should dust off my Fudge rules. Did you buy fudge dice? They're kinda hard to come by here, so I made some myself (as a way of occupying myself while watching TV).

#14 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

Did you buy fudge dice?

Quite a few :D When I bought mine they were not at all easy to find in the UK, either, although they seem a bit more common now. Grey Ghost has changed manufacturers and apparently the new dice are a bit better than the ones I have, which do have occasional flaws. The sudden prevalence of iPhones and iPod Touch devices at Whartson Hall means that several of us also have access to virtual Fudge dice as part of the Dicenomicon app.

#15 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

The show your thinking of was called "Sliders" and also had John-Rhys-Davies of LOTR fame as well. They went all through different dimensions each containing a different version of Earth. Good stuff.

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

The show your thinking of was called "Sliders" and also had John-Rhys-Davies of LOTR fame as well.

See the winking smiley in my post :D
Yes, Sliders is indeed one source of inspiration for the game (it was quite enjoyable for the first season, but sadly went downhill later, particularly once John Rhys-Davies left / was booted out. Luckily all of the good episodes are available in a single DVD boxed set), although less of a direct influence than the name S L I D E W A Y S might suggest. The key element I borrowed from that show is having some sort of timer, but I didn't want it to be quite so clear as to how long the group have between "charges" or make the connection between the timer and opening the next portal so clear. That's why I decided to go for the worlds shifting one into the next instead of having a doorway or wormhole, but in retrospect it probably does lose a bit of the tension that such a device promoted in the show. This whole game is a bit of a bodge and work in progress, though, so I'm sure I'll refine the idea by the time we get back to it :D

#17 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

particularly once John Rhys-Davies left / was booted out.

/ left as soon as he could.

He hated it. Just get him talking about it at a convention and you'll hear that truth...

#18 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

He hated it. Just get him talking about it at a convention and you'll hear that truth...

Really? I'm not too surprised, given some of the snippets I've heard about the behind-the-scenes troubles the show had, but for me the character of Arturo was the key to holding the show together, even if he was rarely used effectively. Once he'd gone it started to shift dramatically into a rather ordinary series, I thought. Pity. I used to watch it when I worked for a computer company in Brighton, always hoping that we wouldn't get any customers in while it was on :D

#19 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

I disagree with Weasel's weaselling early on in this one.

He argued that an ability score should cover a broader spectrum but have a specific reason for being so high. What then happens when the ability score is called upon for a completely different reason?

A good example of this is actualy his argument for lumping all physical abilities under one. Dodging is not the same as being tough and enduring pain. Being acrobatic could make you somewhat fitter than the average person but really wouldn't help you hold your breath underwater that much (nowhere near as much of a difference as when it would come to acrobatic stuff).

Going from that to the four foot hammer really threw me 'though. Untill then I was under the happy illussion that it might not be amanga picture he'd shown the group.

This openning session reminded me of a lot of those "children get sent back in time" childrens books from the 70's and 80's (and earlier) that people don't seem to be writing any more where the children turn up during the english civil war or just before Atlantis sinks or something and act in a completely modern way and nobody there seems to notice (except for that daft E Nesbitt thing about Guy Fawkes only being arrested because a stupid time travelling child sang the rhyme about his plot and then explained it when someone asked what they were talking about).

You could almost classify the Chronicles of Narnia and Alan Garner's more famous novels in this style of writing but they don't quite fit the genre.

A lot of these "children go back in time" books seem like blatant Chronicles of Narnia rip offs but "Narnia does history" written a few decades later. Many of them seemed pretty bland. I'm not saying this session felt bland, just that it had a similar sort of feel to it.

#20 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

I disagree with Weasel's weaselling early on in this one.

He argued that an ability score should cover a broader spectrum but have a specific reason for being so high. What then happens when the ability score is called upon for a completely different reason?

Didn't he argue that a given attribute could mean different thing depending on the character? A mob enforcer's Social skill covers different thing than the insurance salesman's, and even if the mob enforcer only has a value of Fair to the salesman's Good, he'll still be better at intimidating people.

Of course this potentially leads to a lot of fine-tunings and negotiations during play, but that doesn't sound like the Weasel we know and admire. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge