#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

I have a copy of PHB2. Someone lovely sent it to me and it arrived today :)

Thank you to someone lovely.

If you guys like I can do a quick audio review of it and tell you what I think.

First impressions: Gnomes look anime-tastic :)

Hal :hal:

#2 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

An actual review? Wow. How long's it been since one of those? :-)

#3 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:18 PM

A review would be cool. I just got my copy yesterday, and I've barely had time to read the thing...Avengers are Awesome-pants McAwesome, though.

Not so sure about the Smurf look on the Deva, though.

#4 Annai

Annai

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 12:11 PM

It's on the list of things for my son's birthday. I'd love to hear your impressions. There was a playtest version of the Barbarian on DDI/Dragon Magazine. The new classes look fun, and if my KotS game gets delayed any more, we might be able to slot a few PHB2 characters into it. :)

#5 eldritchknight

eldritchknight

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, an audio review would rock! :D

#6 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Wa, USA

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

I have an Avenger and a Sorcerer in my game that I run. The Avenger is an awesomely powerful class. Bordering almost on broken. Use with caution.

The Sorcerer is thematically very nice and is also a very solid class. The Bard has perhaps the coolest at-will power known to man in the game. Vicious Mockery, you can insult someone to death.

I am very curious to hear your review about the Barbarian class. Based off the pre-release version and the published version.

#7 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

The Avenger has a very interesting style to go about, not your typical style of strikers. However, I disagree that's it's broken. It has several nice class features that, if active all the time, would make it very powerful. But, it seems by my observation that this is not the case in many situations.

Bards... are bards, let's not go into my thing against them. Aside from Vicious Mockery, Misdirected Mark is just a deliciously fun power when you're teamed with one or two defenders... or when you decide to scare the party wizard a bit by having him mark the raging berserker. :P

I personally find druids to be a bit more complicated of a beast (pun intended). Aside from your "build", your powers are further divided up into beast form and humanoid form powers. Of course, you can still go about with whatever you feel like for your powers.

Barbarians are still fun, and maybe I'm biased because I play one. :) Generally the published version got several nerfings in terms of at-will powers and daily rages, but I feel they're mostly correct choices (such as for Howling Strike). However, the fact that the rage ability of Thunderhawk Rage doesn't scale to level now (with regards to attack rolls), makes it seem like some changes were once again rushed.

#8 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

The Avenger has a very interesting style to go about, not your typical style of strikers.

SImilar to how they worked in Ravenloft in 2nd edition then? I doubt it but you never know.

#9 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

I had a chance to play a Bard @ DnD Worldwide Gameday and loved her. WOTC built her as a Female-Gnome-Bard and she was a hoot to play! ! !
The Mockery was fun, but the powers she carried made her a great Controller/Leader. I stood outside of all 3 fights and handled the fights with a minimum of damage.
I had received my copy of the pdf of PHb2 and have only leafed thru it, but I am really diggin' it. More so than PHb 1.
Interested in your opinion, Hal.

#10 sigfile

sigfile

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationGreat Northern Wastes

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

I was also at the GameDay, playing the Drow Avenger. These are my thoughts on the PHB2 material presented through the lens of the GameDay event:

I'm impressed with the new classes (per the demo, including the Avenger, Barbarian, Bard, and Invoker). The Bard was fantastic (and, yes, Vicious Mockery is a hoot). At its best it's not going to be out-healing the Cleric or even the Warlord during combat, but it appears to be designed to out-buff the others. It works particularly well with Fighters (since the Misdirected Mark can be played off by the Fighter class abilities) and other well-armored meat-shields (assuming, here, that a higher AC means less need for emergency healing) -- fewer surges spent in combat may mean more get spent *between* encounters, and the Bard will help the party spend fewer of those.

The Avenger did exactly what I suspect the Avenger was designed to do -- hit very consistently, but not do a ton of damage in any single hit. The Barbarian pretty easily outdamaged her in any round in which he hit (unless the Avenger scored a crit), but the Avenger hit much more often. I was tempted to trade weapons with the Barbarian (roll twice to attack and crit on a 19-20? Yes, please). It's a shame that the Oath of Enmity class feature (which grants the roll-twice-choose-the-best-one ability for attacks) can't be used with reach weapons.

The Barbarian (Warforged? "-Engaging Subroutine: Rage. Graagh.-") is a real toughie for new players. The trade-off mechanics and ongoing rage effects are different enough from the other classes to make them interesting (or, if you prefer, challenging). We had a 4E newbie at our table, and he was just lost. When he hit, though, the enemy really felt it.

The Invoker seemed to sacrifice damage for pure controller power, which was a welcome change. One player really, really didn't like the damage loss, though. I suspect it's all about build and playstyle.

The Paladin should have been a Warden. I have nothing against Paladins, but the goal was to promote and celebrate the PHB2.

On that topic, I'm really surprised we didn't see more of the PHB2 races. Of the five characters present, only one (Gnome Bard) was from the new book. The others characters nicely spanned the other game media (Tiefling and Dragonborn - PHB, Drow - FRPG, Warforged - Dragon Magazine), which might have been the point. I'd have welcomed a Deva instead of the Drow and a Half-Orc instead of the Warforged just to weigh the races in favor of the PHB2.

#11 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:46 AM

This is the way bards should fight. (Not the first little bit - just after.)

#12 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

I'd love to hear an audio review. :)

#13 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Dude, you are so right! I have never seen this film or an accurate depicition of a " musical fight ". I got stuck watching several of the clips from the film. I really have to see that film.
I have a limited background with the new Asian film market. I have the Crouching Tiger movie and have seen the House of the Flying Daggers but that's it.
There is one of those Asian DVD store/kiosk's in a mall near me and I always get drawn to them like moth to the flame. All of the fight scenes are unequaled. Hollywood action is no where near the scope of what these guys can accomplish.

#14 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

The film is slapstick and silly in essence, but I love the fight scenes.

The first time I saw that fight I thought OMG bards don't have to look stupid. I can, now, imagine them using complex compression waves and vibrations to produce shapes (sharp shapes/swords/etc) and repulsive fields and actually fight with a string instrument.

High pitched flutes and earthquaking percussion instruments could be excellent as well.

#15 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

High pitched flutes and earthquaking percussion instruments could be excellent as well.

Having been in a marching band with 10 piccolos (of which I played one), excellent is not the word that comes to mind. :lol:

#16 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

Having been in a marching band with 10 piccolos (of which I played one), excellent is not the word that comes to mind. :lol:

Piccolo Trumpets are not to bad but actual piccolos can be a little grating. :D

#17 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

It's how you use it. (I hope.)

Tooting a penny wistle and blowing your enemy's ears and eyes out in a torrent of blood, watching them run about confused as a stroke bleeds out of their nostrels and seeing them squirm on the floor until they utter their last words "I keep thinking it's wednesday" would be quite cool.

You have no imagination.

#18 plus1pants

plus1pants

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

It says the video is removed by user. What was the name of the movie that the link was suppose to take us to? I'm really curious now.

Thanks.

#19 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

It says the video is removed by user. What was the name of the movie that the link was suppose to take us to? I'm really curious now.

Thanks.

It's been awhile since I saw the video when it was first linked but I think it was a scene from Kung Fu Hustle. Only seen bits and pieces of the movie but I'm pretty sure that was it.

#20 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:35 PM

And one, in band camp, I put my flute up my...

Yup, I can see a bard being destracting... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge