• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Conn

Conn

Kobold

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:58 AM

Well, just looked at Skype two hours before a online session is about to take place only to discover it doesnt allow you to record said sessions.... Bugger.

So anyway, I think some groups ((Probably the Pantsless gamers)) use skype to do their sessions. What I am wondering is...how do you do it?

This question is for everyone and anyone who has a answer for it :P

#2 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, we use CallGraph to record Skype, which is far from perfect, though it does have the advantage of being free. Danny and Alex (Illiani and albax, respectively) have more experience than I with actually using the thing, but it isn't that complex.

A couple things to remember: when you start the recording, everyone's volume level will drop noticeably. This is normal. Nothing to worry about.

Sometimes as the recording goes on you will hear an echo as the recording gets larger and larger. Most of the time the echo will not translate to the recording (though sometimes it does and that's when the PGs go ballistic); just stop CallGraph and start a new recording when the echo and delay starts to become a distraction.

The latest version of CallGraph has a feature that allows you to record your session in wav format. That's the setting we use to get the best sound quality and make it eaiser for Danny to edit. Be warned however that this setting makes for a freaking HUGE sound file when you're done. Evaluate your needs; maybe the less robust format will do for you.

That's all I have, and I'm sure Danny will weigh in with more technical details in an hour or two when he gets back from class.

Matt

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

CallGraph is the Chocolate-Death of software. It is free and therefore sweet, sweet chocolate; but it is also a bastard to get working continuously -- hence the death part.

CG has a lot of nice little features which I would advise you get very familiar with before recording. Also just to warn you; Wave !/O provides the best quality (especially when saved using the .wav format); but is likely to freeze-death most XP systems.

When using the cow take out any extra sound cards you have -- for us at least -- multiple sound cards creates all kinds of hell on earth; this is something we're in contact with the CG folks trying to find a fix -- if Alex ever finishes that god-damn e-mail I asked him to write...

Also just to apply fair warning; if it works once, don't expect it to work the same the next time you start CallGraph. CG is in Beta and quite rightly so; the bastard can be a right shit sometimes.

To put things in prospective currently we have 7 completed episodes. Technically we should have 12; most of those non-existent sessions never occurred because of our darling friend CG fucking us about.

CallGraph: Not the best way; but it is the only free way.

#4 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:35 AM

And quite obviously if someone else reading this thread happens to be saying, "Those idiots! Don't they know about [insert name of other free software that can do the job]?", then by all means share!

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

And quite obviously if someone else reading this thread happens to be saying, "Those idiots! Don't they know about [insert name of other free software that can do the job]?", then by all means share!

I concur; in addition it doesn't have to be free, it just has to work. I'm quite happy to stick my hand into my pocket at this point.

#6 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Here is a do it yourself way of recording a skype conversation.

http://www.henshall....ves/001056.html

I use a mac at home, and if anyone else uses a mac and is interested, WireTap Pro does a great job.

I can't help but think a dedicated hardware solution would work best. Take audio out from the sound card to an mp3 audio recorder like a Tascam or anything RPGMP3 or Yog have used that allows simultaneous line input that allows headphones to be used at the same time. Or use a headphone splitter.

http://pro-audio.mus...-Red?sku=482679 ($99)

Computer speakers > line in on recorder
line out on recorder > headphones

If you don't want to use a hardware recorder, you could do something similar to the url above and connect the audio out from a sound card directly back to the audio in. Set Windows recorder or your favorite audio software (audacity, audition, etc) to record the audio in. Make sure you mute audio in or you get feedback. Instead of a soundcard though, you could use a griffin iMic ($49). That way you can still use your sound card for your mic/headphone/headset.

http://www.griffinte...m/products/imic

Hope that helps. I'd be interested in reading about other people's idea's too.

#7 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Tried the hardware setup this past Sunday, Brian. My recorder really doesn't like that, it would seem. The result was... Poor to say the least.

In other news, I am trying an alternative software approach. I have a 15-day trial license for PrettyMay. I'd love for someone to call me on Skype so I can try it out. :-) If it works I'll grit my teeth and cough up the $24.95 for the professional version.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

If it works, don't worry I'll put coin into the basket.

#9 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

And the news is, as of now, the solution of choice is Pretty May. The trial version has passed the Pantsless Test with flying colours. As mentioned before the full license costs about twenty five bucks, but this is very reasonable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge