7 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

A couple of years back, when I was poorer than I am now, I came across a PDF. Now I am less poor than before (hey that rhymes!) I want to find and buy said book -- alas I cannot find it.

I cannot remember the title; but I do recall a few details. Basically it was a book filled with various tables and tit-bits of information all centred around the lives of the PC between their adventurers. Using the tables you could discover if the PCs had found any new contacts, maybe been hired by somebody, or stumbled across a cult; or any of a lot of incidents (including rules for PCs getting jobs).

If anybody can recall the book, or anything like it, could they please let me know as I am -very- interested in getting it (even if, just in PDF).

Danny

#2 brunayla1

brunayla1

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

It might be the DM's toolbox/kit. I chanced upon it once at the local book store but it was gone when I came back to buy it.

T

#3 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:49 PM

Possibly one of the Central Casting books? I remember I had one that gave you all sorts of minute details of your PC's pre-adventuring career (I was particularly amused by the tables for tattoos and the one for "dire prophecies that surrounded your birth"). I'm also sure they released other volumes.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:53 PM

I know it wasn't the DM's Toolkit (which is The Sex btw) -- we're talking pre-third here people; you know that dark age before D20? :D

I think you might be heading down the right toute there Matt -- I'll into it a bit more; curse my memory!

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Well it wasn't a Central Casting (or at least none of the ones I saw).

From what I remember the idea was that for every month the party spent in a [city I think], your players would role on the table to see what happened to their characters during that month.

I remember it containing rules for getting jobs
Getting married and having children
For court hearings and punishment
And for conducting illegal business (with the appropriate risks).

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 20 March 2009 - 02:14 AM

I don't suppose anybody else might have any idea...?

#7 ShadeOfRed

ShadeOfRed

Kobold

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationPella, Iowa

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:09 PM

I think I remember Hal and Lindsey talking about a game that had something similar...

Camelot? Or something like that...dunno if that helps, you rolled on a table every winter to see what happens to you.

#8 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:10 PM

Camelot? Or something like that...dunno if that helps, you rolled on a table every winter to see what happens to you.

Pendragon?

I'm sort of thinking along certain lines but I know the things I'm thinking of are wrong, but that there's bound to be something similar from around the same period which includes what you're after.

Something like Irilian but not Irilian. Also like the 1st ed DMG, but not the 1st ed DMG. And by pre d20 does that mean Pre Rolemaster? Because d20 is basicaly Rolemaster with d20's instead of percentile as far as task rezolution is involved (and it's got skill points and skill ranks and all derived ability score generic bonuses for anything instead of specific bonuses).

So.... could it have been a Catalyst product? The Catalyst series (from Flying Buffalo) was designed for use with any rules system. Never included "rules" but included whatever you needed for a Gm to grasp the idea and import it into his system of choice. Given the tables I'm suspecting it's not a Catalyst product.

Irilian sounds like the closest thing but since that was spread over six issues of White Dwarf, and only appeared separately in print ain The Best of White Dwarf volume 1 in it's entireity, I suspect it's not Irilian. Irilian was a complete city with detailed inhabitants, an economy, a legal system and all sorts. And an adventure to see you through the articles too. It was written for AD&D 1st edition and very thorough in it's detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge