77 replies to this topic

#61 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, the Wil's really sucking at the attacks because of the lost proficiency/implement bonuses.

On his blog he says he realized it after the end of the game. 'tis a shame. I think Hal bent over backwards to make sure everyone had their full bonuses, especially early on.

Just started listening to session 3 on this one.

#62 ElLocoMarko

ElLocoMarko

Raven

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationFort Collins, CO

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

If you are an iTunes user, check out the WOTC page as well for the comic art. It's a great one.

http://www.wizards.c...d/4pod/20090304

#63 Annai

Annai

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:59 AM

Hello! New here. Enjoying the h*** out of the KotS recordings. It's a great primer for someone -- like me -- getting started DM'ing this. I may have to steal some of Hal's stuff. My party may need Splug as a helper, too.

This seemed like the best spot for this question as the Wizard forums seem to be down all the time when I try them. Does anyone know whether they are playing a published adventure for this second PA/PVP event? Is it a side-quest on the H2 adventure?

Not far enough into the recording to know if it's terribly fun or something I'd want to run, but just curious as to *what* it is if anyone knows.

#64 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hey there :)

Welcome to the forums. Nice to have you here. Glad you are pinching some of my stuff for your own game :)

I think the send PA recording for WotC was something new if I am not mistaken. I am sure someone will hop in with what they are calling the module any minute now :D

Anyway, welcome to RPGMP3. Nice to have you here.

Hal :hal:

#65 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:06 AM

Howdy new person!

Yeah, the KotSf sessions are fantastic in that, while the module may not be among the best, the players make a big effort to have fun with it. It's exciting to me to hear you were inspired to try your GM pants on too after listening to these. I felt the same way and it totally kicks ass.

BTW, you don't need to censor your swears on these boards. Just another reason why they rock.

The 2nd PA&PVP podcast is supposed to be an original adventure by the GM, last I checked. I think it's because they don't have any adventurers to really preview right now since most of their audience has likely already bought or pirated Dungeon Delve and I think the only Heroic tier thing they have in the near future is the Eberron Campaign Setting (which I would have loved for them to do).

Perkins' story seems pretty fun for a 1-shot dungeon crawl. It's possible there are some elements you could steal for your games, but if you intend to play more than 1 session with it you're going to need to get creative. ;)

#66 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

Wil Wheaton said on twitter that the adventure will be in Dragon Magazine, which is available to members of D&D Insider.

And, hello and welcome to the forums!

#67 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:09 AM

I thought I smelled fresh blood before sleep took me from the world; greetings and welcome to the forums, Annai. Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times and please don't feed Thing. :D

Danny :plot:

#68 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:21 AM

I thought I smelled fresh blood before sleep took me from the world; greetings and welcome to the forums, Annai. Keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle at all times and please don't feed Thing. :D

Don't listen to Illiani, I R harmless.

Don't listen to the rumours

#69 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Welcome new person. :D

#70 Annai

Annai

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

The next one is out. Thought I'd double my post count. :)

After listening to most of the KotS series here (I'm on the last episode), I'm really spoiled. While the PA/PVP guys are quite funny, the level of detail and immersion is missing when you're only dealing in 30-45 minute chunks. I know they're probably trying to milk a smaller adventure recorded in a single session, but I'd prefer they get through one whole combat per episode. Really tough keeping track of things in these micro-casts.

Guess this is the wrong place to dig on their podcast, but it makes me more appreciative of the depth the RPGMP3 shows go into.

#71 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Guess this is the wrong place to dig on their podcast, but it makes me more appreciative of the depth the RPGMP3 shows go into.

Something else to remember, is that while the PennyArcade chaps are only on their second game, most of the DMs here (especially Hal) have been doing this for donkey years.

Although it comes easier to some than others, in DMing, experience really is worth it's weight in gold.

#72 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:32 AM

Well, I hope the GMs from wizards that are hosting the game have experience. They are just new to recording it.

#73 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

Apparently a new episode is out. Rumours suggest that due to their success, WotC plans to do more of these in the future.

#74 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

I have to say though... Jim Darkmagic is one of my more favorite characters I've encountered. It's right up there with the barbarian from Rolemaster. also I don't know why but wil wheaton makes me laugh.

#75 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

also I don't know why but wil wheaton makes me laugh.

That's a real improvement; back in the day, he made everyone want to punch him in the face--just for the fun of it. :)

#76 ZachDood77

ZachDood77

Stirge

• Members
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

It's problably cuz I missed his star trek denial phase. Assuming he had one. I can't remeber. All I know is Leonard Nimoy's was worse. You need an example? The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins.

#77 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:20 AM

The Penny Arcade podcast drove 700k to the D&D website.

Also:

They have received feedback that the 4e game is a tactical wargame with limited role-playing.

They're getting Robin Laws to do a "Storytelling" chapter.

From Scott Rouse's GTS 2009 D&D Seminar.

#78 Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the welcomes a few pages back! It's hard for me to post a lot these days.

Oh and Snufkin tips his hat to you as well. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge