77 replies to this topic

#41 fool2046

fool2046

Goblin

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

I like Wil Wheaton, he's turned out alright, and his book (autobiographical) "Just a Geek" is excellent.

The original Penny arcade podcasts are what started my looking for more recordings, so are directly responsible for my arriving here. They are very different, and my initial resentment of the name Jim Darkmagic gave way fast. I think this has to be the most mainstream roleplay recordings have been.

#42 Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

(delurking) Hi folks, I wasn't going to post till I finished listening to Keep on the Shadowfell (preview: love it, almost done.) The PVP/Penny Arcade series one is what led me, by way of a google search for more of the same, to this site here. I actually haven't gamed in years and years, and don't have the time or proper friends currently to do it now, but listening is a great deal of nostalgic fun.

Wil Wheaton has a very popular blog, so it might be worth mentioning this site there as a comment. (I don't have a typepad account to do it right now.)

I'm very glad they brought Chris Perkins back to DM. I was a bit annoyed when they switched DMs mid-stream during the first series, especially because the second guy was no where near as good as Chris.

That's all for now!

#43 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

Oh its Moomintroll. You are so cute and kinda like a hippo and something that I grew up with :)

Welcome to the forums. I migh drop Mr Wheaton a missive and see if he will mention us in his blog - that would be super cool. I guess I could just Twitter him :)

Anyway, welcome to the forums. Plenty of stuff round here outside of DnD as well which is super brilliant.

Hal :hal:

#44 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

Welcome to the forum Moomintroll! You'll find that the PVP podcasts (while quite good I agree) are but a taster all of the splendor THIS site provides! Enjoy! And do consider becoming a patron-----there are some podcasts that are exclusive to Patrons and most (all?) podcasts hit the Patron-only board a few weeks earlier than others can access. WELL worth being a Patron in my opinon!!

#45 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I migh drop Mr Wheaton a missive and see if he will mention us in his blog - that would be super cool. I guess I could just Twitter him :)

I tell ya Hal, you install that Twitter app to your iPhone and already you're struttin' your stuff.... :pimp:

#46 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

Moomintroll, you may be interested to know that your username sent me tearing through my bookcase to come up with a proper welcome.

So *ahem* a fine welcome to you, Moomintroll. Should we be expecting Snufkin along soon? :)

ETA: Doh! And while I was looking through my books, Hal beat me to it. Ah, well.

#47 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

Cool your a house hippo (Canadians will get that reference) welcome Moomintroll. :D

#48 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I know who Wizards of the Coast should get for their next podcast game.

#49 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

Cool your a house hippo (Canadians will get that reference) welcome Moomintroll. :D

I love that commercial

#50 lojer

lojer

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationLurking

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

I'm glad that everyone is cutting Wil Wheaton slack for playing Wesley Crusher. I never understood why people criticize his role in that show so much. Furthermore, I haven't even heard mention of BJB's stunning portrayal of Commander William T. Riker. :wink:

PA's original podcasts are what made me aware of the medium in the first place. There was even a link in there forums that helped direct me over here.

I think Paul had it spot on when he said "There's always the capacity for independent invention, if they don't know they exist". I wouldn't be surprised if what they said was simply from ignorance of the medium and not an attempt to take credit.

Always have loved the casts. Cheers.

::goes back to lurking::

#51 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:09 PM

Furthermore, I haven't even heard mention of BJB's stunning portrayal of Commander William T. Riker. :wink:

One post and already you're on my Shit List :wink:

#52 fool2046

fool2046

Goblin

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

Sort of off topic, and feel free to humiliate me as a result, but is anyone thinking of going to PAX in September?

#53 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:09 PM

Sort of off topic, and feel free to humiliate me as a result, but is anyone thinking of going to PAX in September?

I live in the areas and I'd like to go, maybe get into some table-top RPGs, but frankly I don't think I'm geek enough to handle it.

#54 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 24 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

Too early to tell. I've been a couple of times, but the crowds are rather huge for the space at times

#55 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:19 PM

One post and already you're on my Shit List :wink:

So really kind of slow to get on your shit list :D

#56 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:11 AM

The next one is up.

#57 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:04 AM

I like Chris Perkins, I think he runs a good game but he really needs to be more a teacher. Most of those guys have very minimal experience with 4th ed. He doesn't seem to pay much attention to their math errors (like reminding them about their implement and proficiency bonuses). He also needs to remind the fighter to mark people.

#58 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:49 PM

He also needs to remind the fighter to mark people.

Since we're discussing Shit Lists on this thread, apparently, I'll contribute!

Fighters who don't Mark.
Paladins who don't Divine Challenge.
Sword Mages who don't Aegis.

You're defenders. Get with the freakin' program!

This latest installment of the Shit List is now concluded.

#59 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

^ Shit I think my old Guild Leader's logged onto here :D :lol:

#60 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, the Wil's really sucking at the attacks because of the lost proficiency/implement bonuses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge