77 replies to this topic

#21 JoeGun

JoeGun

Raven

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSunny SD

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:11 AM

Ok posted recommendations on all three posts referenced above :) Hopefully that boosts up the listenship? is that even a word? firefox thinks not!

#22 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

BTW: I posted a lot on gleemax and other places about this site's APs being way before the penny arcade one when the first one pretended they were being all revolutionary. Can't stand it when people take the credit of the rightful people.

Really, they said they invented the format?

#23 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

Good man :)

Come to think of it, I think I originally found this site after reading about it in someone's sig on the Wizard's boards. I can't remember whom though.

I think I found rpgmp3 from Dragons Landing. I found Dragons Landing from an Itunes search for rpg and D&D.

Wizards forums are down at the moment.

The forums will be down Thursday morning starting at 9:27 AM while we perform regular weekly maintenance. Please check back soon!

#24 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:58 AM

BTW: I posted a lot on gleemax and other places about this site's APs being way before the penny arcade one when the first one pretended they were being all revolutionary. Can't stand it when people take the credit of the rightful people.

Really, they said they invented the format?

It wasn't quite that bad. Loads of posters were cheering them for creating such a wonderful new thing and they were like - "Yeah, we are great aren't we." Patting themselves on their backs and believing their own propaganda. It annoyed me a fair bit at the time.

Imagine never having seen a TV before and your friend brings one around your house. You spend the next few days telling him he is amazing for inventing a TV and all he keeps saying is "I'm sooo amazing I almost make myself cry with happiness." You'd be really annoyed when you found out he just bought it from a shop.

I suppose they can't say "Actually, RPGMP3 have been doing this for ages and they are better than we are.", but they could have at least mentioned that the idea isn't new and there were other APs knocking around.

Just listening to theirs now. When Chris Perkins does exposition he sounds like a cross between Stephen Hawkin and H.A.L from 2001.

Sorry Dave.

I'm being cruel now.

#25 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Actually, I remember one of the WOTC staff posters saying how pleased they were with themselves for coming up with the idea. He could have just meant for doing it themselves, but it was in reply to people cheering them for inventing it, and so it implied they had.

Haven't been on their forum since about that time. I posted a thread about something I wanted changed for 4E. It was a harmless logic issue, but because I mentioned the word science I got lynched by a mass of creationists and called a Science Nazi, whatever that is. I commited forum suicide by unleashing the fury from the saftey of my own room. So no advertising RPGMP3.com from me I'm afraid. I wouldn't go back on that forum again if you tortured me.

I think I've already posted this site a fair few times on Enworld, though.

#26 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:29 PM

Okay, I failed my geek roll. I didn't know who Wil Wheaton was until I clicked on a few links. It seemed he was going for the 'Raistlin' voice, which I guess is okay.

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Thanks folks :)

I like it when you guy talk about us on other forums. The community benefits from the extra attention and the more users the merrier I always say :)

I am surprised that WotC may have claimed that Actual Play was their idea when they seem to be about 6 - 7 years late to the table. :)

Hal :hal:

#28 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:48 PM

Something like 6 years, 1 month, 21 days...!

#29 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks folks :)

I like it when you guy talk about us on other forums. The community benefits from the extra attention and the more users the merrier I always say :)

I am surprised that WotC may have claimed that Actual Play was their idea when they seem to be about 6 - 7 years late to the table. :)

Hal :hal:

It was more he, whomever the WOTC staff guy was, let the incorrect assumption go on. From what I could tell at the time most, not all, of the gleemax users were young and probably newish to D&D so they wouldn't have got round to stuff like APs.

I almost wish I hadn't said anything - I can see an extradition and court proceedings.

But yeah, the time span is epic. When I first did a search quite a while ago I was suprised there weren't more about. Then I figured I was a geek and people didn't think the way I did. Fortunately, I was wrong.

I barely ever get to play because most of my mates are clubbers and aren't into this sort of stuff so this gives me a good fix.

#30 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 19 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

I think it's just nice people like them. Who would have thought?

The WotC staff may not have known. There's always the capacity for independent invention, if they don't know they exist (certainly that's the case in archaeological theory). :)

What it does show is that a fair number do like them and sometimes go looking for more. Having Wil (Wesley Crusher Die! Die Die) Wheaton (& PVP/PA ) play in the game will certainly bring in more listeners who follow them but have never played (or heard) before.

#31 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

I agree with PoC. Regardless of whether you like the PA/PVP/WW podcasts, they will bring in new listeners to the format since they are pulling them from a wider audience. An audience that probably doesn't go searching for these sorts of things. In this sense they are good for everyone. I thought the first batch were worth a listen just because you get to slowly hear Gabe become a P&P RPG fan over the course of the audio. He was almost hostile toward the pastime in the beginning.

#32 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

I had never even heard about actual play podcasts until the PA/PVP series. I was directed to this site on a forum thread about that series. I've been a tech-savvy gamer for many years and still had never come across this stuff. I think it is lucky that wizards are taking note of the medium, they are bringing in people like myself who might have never heard of the medium otherwise.

Personally I find the PA/PVP podcast series funny and interesting in their own right. They are also a good teaching tool both for learning D&D and easing into the world of actual play podcasts.

#33 PhanXu2

PhanXu2

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:09 AM

Wesley Crusher. No way.

#34 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

Wesley Crusher. No way.

Oh, like you didn't do anything when you were a teenager that you're not exactly proud of now. Or better yet, like you were ever paid massive amounts of money to play an incredibly easy role on a very popular TV show.

I wish i had been Wesley Crusher....

#35 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:45 AM

Pastel jumpers. The horror!
:D

#36 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

Pastel jumpers. The horror!
:D

Like a sort of young Gyles Brandreth in space :D

#37 Frodrick

Frodrick

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:04 PM

Wesley Crusher. No way.

I saw Wil Wheaton on the World Poker Tour last night. He won $10,000 for his charity for being the last celebrity to go out in the tournament.
Say what you will, but that guy is living the life.
Playing in the WPT one day and doing the PVP/PA podcasts the next?
It doesn't sound so bad to be Wesley Crusher to me.

P.S. First time poster, long time listener. Love the podcasts Hal, keep it up :D

#38 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

A lurker for months, and Wil Wheaton brings you out into the open? Go figure. :)

Seriously, though, welcome aboard. Post more!

#39 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

I think Wil is going for a Christian Bale Batman voice in the recording. Honestly I can't do that kind of voice for more than 5 minutes without getting a sore throat.

#40 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:39 PM

Say all the mean things you want about Wil Wheaton, but I myself have never snogged Ashley Judd, either on-camera or off. So I give him props.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge