#1 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLost in the dungeons

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

*walks in, clears throat*

Good evening, one and all. I first ran afoul of rpgmp3 a couple years back. I can't recall what the heck I was googling at the time, but it had to be related to either D&D or WLD. Never been around folks who'd actually play in real life, and trying to do sessions over the internet is a pain in the butt. But I still love the stuff and jumped at the chance to listen.

I think it took about two weeks to get through all the audio. And then I pointed a buddy toward the site and ended up re-listening almost directly after with him. It was all great fun. And despite the fact that I got kind of lost when folks really started biting it and new ones rolled in, I had an enjoyable time. The epic dragon 'kill' was something for the ages, for instance.

That all being said, I only have one thing to say to this seemingly half-dead subforum.

RUN IT AGAIN WITH THE TEXAS CAST! :D

*runs like crazy before anyone can pulverize him for even the suggestion*

#2 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:44 AM

While I can't make any claims towards Hal's intentions with the Texans (I can't imagine him wanting to pick it up again) do keep your eyes peeled for new adventurers to brave the dungeon in the future. Particularly if you're a patron. :)

#3 thad

thad

Player Subordinaire

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Not to speak for Hal and co, it does seem that they are concentrating on the published adventures for DND 4e.

Besides, we're still waiting for them to hit the World's Largest City. ;)

#4 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLost in the dungeons

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

I thought WLC was just a myth. Like Bigfoot or Balazaar Brand Hair Removal Cream.

I did think it never came out, though. Was under the impression that, for whatever reason, the company who released WLD had problems. Can't recall if it was financial, if WLD just didn't sell well, or what. But I could've sworn I read something about WLC's future being in jeopardy because of it. :O

#5 fictionalfemme

fictionalfemme

Goblin

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationLedyard, CT USA

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Okay, I'm confused. Isn't Ptolus the World's Largest City?

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

Nope - AEG did release World's Largest City. I do not currently own it but it was a rather large tome.

Ptolus was the book Monte Cook released from his own campaign world. It is a really really nice book. Very indepth. I have a signed copy of that one :)

Hal :hal:

#7 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

I own a copy of WLC. I think that Ptolus is much better. I browsed the tome for several days, but didn't think that there was anything particularly wonderful in there, but I wasn't A) browsing in much depth or B) browsing with a mind to playing it.

I think that the City would probably mean way more work for Hal, because in Dungeon, he had the encounters all layed out. I think City could have great potential, but I think it's best as a chop-shop type of place to lift locations from to graft them into another game.

That's just my 2 cents on reading it fairly briefly. It's still on my pile of stuff to read, but not until I finish Stephen Hawking's tome God Created the Integers

#8 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:56 PM

RUN IT AGAIN WITH THE TEXAS CAST!

Sadism hiding behind capital letters! Do not be fooled by exclamation marks! Except mine those are obviously fine!

Explore Warhammer like you know you want to!

#9 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:05 AM

Ptolus is beautiful. :D

#10 brunayla1

brunayla1

Toad

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

Of the three Ptolus is the best. WLC is ok but would be a pain unless you rere trying to run an all city adventure. WLD had its problems as Hal as pointed out at the conclusion of WLD with the English group. I own a copy of each and would prefer Ptolus of them. My gameing group want to see the WLD so I might be forced to run an updated version.

T

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:53 AM

Continuing the resurrection... I stumbled over this, and my first thought was: "Man, that girl is Feylin all over!" I can just picture her taking her Celestial Viper for walkies on a leash.

Posted Image

#12 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

I personally believe the original WLD is a kind of roleplaying magic that simply can't be recreated or redone. It shouldn't even be tried, because otherwise comparisons would be made unfairly to either side.

And really, World's Largest City would be fun. Too bad we can't Skype in Fin or Steve.

#13 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

Not to speak for Hal and co, it does seem that they are concentrating on the published adventures for DND 4e.

And that's pretty tragic really :(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge