#21 Alexandrian

Alexandrian

The Dark Fox

• Patrons
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKent, UK.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

Evening all,

I thought I'd hassle you with my 10 pence worth. I thought that the adventure was fantastic. Although it was linear at times, the odd player diversions did make things very entertaining. This was the one adventure that I was completely absorbed by. I just couldn't focus on anything else :D

All in all, thank you all for keeping me very entertained during my lonely nights at work :)

#22 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks all for doing this Cthulhu classic. Yes the adventure was linear but y'all (as I think they say in the South) made it a really entertaining ride! :D

As an aside, listening to this it's just pleasantly amazing to see how the game affects the players and play... a lot of the players are also in D&D 4.0 I think but the style is soooooooooooooooo different there! :) Roll on the next CoC! 8)

#23 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:23 PM

I was very disappointed to hear Lindsay take the story down.
It sounded as if she had a plan to end the game and went at it with vigor. I don't sit at the table with you and wait for a chance to play or roll the dice, but for such an epic story line I was upset with the ending.
The opportunity for roll/role play is in the hands of the players, the pace and direction is by the DM. You reversed the rolls and took the game into your hands and in doing so, the game collapsed. That was disappointing.
You had gone thru 10 episodes, got into the real meat of the game and got bored with it. I couldn't wait to see how the story would have gone on from the encounter with the machine. It was nerve wracking to hear the story taking shape and to hear Linds' bring it down.
Was this planned behind the scenes so that you didn't have to play thru the next 4 to "?" chapters ?
Did Glen step out of the event because he didn't agree with the plan?
Were you saddened, Hal when the group lost interest and wanted to give up right when the game got good?

If they are unhappy with DnD 4-E 'cause of the fight-driven-system nature of it and they don't like being " railroaded " by this CoC game, what is a good system?
Is Rolemaster the best? Is there relevance to Warhammer or Exalted ?
Do tell. . . .

I loved the game! Sorry it wasn't as easy to play as it was to listen to.
Keep up the excellent work.

#24 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:38 PM

Glen didnt turn up to that session, and a few beforehand, hence Hal wanted the game to close, so we could start something different with a more regular schedule.

I wont say anything else to defend myself, becasue everything I seem to say or do on this forum, or in a game is wrong atm.

#25 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

I didn't see it that way at all. The last few sessions, especially the last two, seemed ripe for a TPK, which from what I understand of CoC is more normal than other systems.

With sanity being so low, and most characters suffering from insanity of one type or another, it seemed like it was a no-win situation.

In CoC, I get the feeling that the investigators can set the pace of the game. This scenario was an exception, as it was a "do this, do that" list of actions. Lake's camp and the city were the only places where there were some options as to what to do.

Considering what Lindsay had to work with, the only sane person in the group dealing with a bunch of people going insane, I think it made sense.

#26 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:41 PM

Bloodguard I think you have missed some conversations and some intent through the game so I am sure that you will be given some slack with a slightly troll post, but I think the issue was not so much with COC directly and more with Beyond the Mountains of Madness. In the future though it may be a good thing to personally edit your post before get a little accusatory becuase remember the players and the GM are giving there free time to be recorded to entertain us. Thank you. :D

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

I have to agree with the comments above. Call of Cthulhu is a fine fine game and we have run and played it successfully many times.

The decision not to run the final chapters of the game were mine as I considered a pointless chase and more railroading to be a little unneccessary considering the state of the party at that point.

I have no idea why you decided to target Lindsay specifically with these comments. It is things like this that really get her down. It may have seemed like Lindsay wanted to end the game in that session but to be honest the game was pretty much over by that point.

BtMoM is a great story, but in my opinion it is a terrible game. It is far too linear and restrictive. There is a lot in there but the restrictions placed on the players are just too much to make things enjoyable. They do not feel free to act at all.

I do have some plans to return to CoC in the future and give something else a shot, assuming the players let me. I have to say 'trollish' was a term that came to my mind when I read your post. There was really no need to specifically make attacks against a single player. It is offhand stuff like this that makes Lindsay wish she had never started doing this stuff in the first place.

Play nice. No naming names.

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#28 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

yeah, not sure what Bloodguard is trying to get to.

I didn't notice anything like what was described, in fact Lindsays role playins was some of my favorite moments in BtMoM.

and even the closing note

I loved the game! Sorry it wasn't as easy to play as it was to listen to.
Keep up the excellent work.

seems a bit odd combined with the actual post.

#29 BaronBytes

BaronBytes

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

I really liked listening to COC BtMoM, it made me go check Yog-Sothoth.com for more. and after listening to more CoC. I must agree entirely with Lindsay, at very few points the investigators really investigate, they are fed pages and pages of mountains description, boat sailing and survival camp preparation. When they can actually investigate they are under such time constraint and hard climate limit and monsters that there is not much they can do but follow the plot.

In the end what happened was as much a TPK as can be(similar in a few ways to Ptolus's end). Lindsay wasn't playing her character. Batman was dead and Ape was insane. Glen' character had been wanting to run away all of the two previous session (since the plane had been blown up if I remember)

Nevertheless, Lindsay played my favorite character in it, "My Daddy own the globe" "click beeeeeeeeeep" and plenty other sound bites stay in my memories. The fact that people liked the game is a testament to the players not the module..

Me I just want you to have fun, that's what is making me listen to those audio games. So keep on playing what you want and have fun doing it. don't mind us too much you'll only spoil your fun.

#30 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

In NO way do I wish to upset Lindsay. I honestly believe it is her character roles that have made most of us fans of this site. I began listening to this site with . . . Labour of Love , I believe, then to World's largest Dungeon, Hagemoth and the DnD stuff. I have LOVED all of the work !
This is not an apology for my reasoning for my post but I am truly sorry to think that my criticism would upset Lindsay.
As I listened to the story ( mind you, I really enjoyed the story telling aspect of it) it seemed that within the confines of this episode, it ended rather abruptly. That was disappointing to me as a listener. I liked these characters, they made me laugh, I was uneasy with them as they faced the events leading up to the plot & I wanted them to go crazy or paranoid or catatonic. . . All of these options seemed inevitable. When they started speaking of leaving for the ships and avoiding the story I was concerned that the option to leave was a consideration. I thought the idea of roll/role playing was to experiance the story, no matter what happened.
I am SO VERY SORRY Hal and Lindsay to have been a part of this situation. I only offered the criticism because it surprised me to have the story end so abruptly.
To Thing, I offered my comments only regarding this one session, I really do enjoy all of their work. I wish that it had not sounded so harsh.

I accept the hate that will inevitably come my way on this. I suspect that most people will think it is rude in nature, I am sorry.
Next time I will make my self more clear.

#31 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

I thought the idea of roll/role playing was to experiance the story, no matter what happened.

As long as everyone's having fun.

I have to say that I was very upset by your initial post. Everyone on these boards should know by now that Lindsay is very sensitive to criticism, and to see someone attack her (which is how the post read, whether you intended it or not) is hard to take.

#32 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:21 PM

This is not an apology for my reasoning for my post but I am truly sorry to think that my criticism would upset Lindsay.

I appreciate the attempt at an apology but to be fair you use the term criticism then seem suprised I took it personally. You specifically targeted a player and basically blamed them for *what went wrong*. Regardless who you target, that person will be upset. Had you said *i disliked the session becasue of this, then maybe that would have been easier to take. But you didnt, you picked me out of the group and criticised me for something that really wasnt anything just todo with me.

Im not going to bring this up, I dont want a prolonged argument as I know I'll come off worse, as I appear to be *oversensative* to a lot of people.

My Gran always taught me that if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say it at all..especially if you know it will upset them.

#33 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Bloodguard I'd suggest you read this: (A Friendly Reminder).

Also I don't think anybody is going to hate you for what you've said, we're not like that here, but I would suggest you quit while you're ahead.

You've said sorry (kinda), so just leave it at that. :)

Danny

#34 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

I agree that BtMoM (the campaign, not the recorded actual play) just isn't a good game. It's almost like a long non-interactive cut scene.
It really was admirable that the group could summon up the enthusiasm, and it's good that you move on to something you find more enjoyable. That should always be central. :)

Thanks.

#35 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

It's almost like a long non-interactive cut scene.

Oh like MGS?

#36 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I think there is an inherent danger in CoC adventures, since there is a lot of investigation in the nature of the sceanrios, there is a lot of information to deliver to the players, or sometimes a specific player, usually with handouts of newspaper clippings, etc. This tends to break the narative flow and makes in character intereaction hard unless everyone is good at oral reading.

Also the vast majority of CoC adventures I have been a part of end abruptly with too many chracters dead or insane and the bad guys winning, but that fits well with a lot of Lovecrafts writing.

#37 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:17 PM

Thing's right and in fact its this much darker mood and oft fatal game play that appeals to myself and many others.

Danny :plot:

#38 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Oh like MGS?

I think so. :oops:

#39 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:34 PM

Oh like MGS?

Metal Gear Solid, its a 3rd person 'stealth' action game.

#40 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Oh like MGS?

Metal Gear Solid, its a 3rd person 'stealth' action game.

With a number of increasingly long cut-scenes. I would have gone with something by Squaresoft, which has made some very enjoyable games that really shouldn't be called RPGs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge