#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:15 PM

The final installment of CoC BtMoM and its a killer ;)

Beyond the Mountains of Madness Session 14

Filesize: 52MB

At great personal loss the party fix the machine and then chase down those who would tell the world the horrible secret.

Let me know what you thought of this adventure :)

EPICs Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Downloading now...Thanks! Still have to listen to session 13 though.

#3 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

Fun but a bit linear and restrictive in parts.

edited to correct spelling

#4 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

Ummm, Hal? Better tell Lindsay that someone hacked her password and is misspelling words in her name! :wink:

Thanks for the release, and thanks to all the Texicans who gave us the recording.

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

I have to say from a Keeper perspective I found this game very restrictive. Due to the nature of the environment and the fact that the players are essentially in the employ of someone else they really do not have the autonomy inherent in other Call of Cthulhu adventures.

The times where I was forced to railroad the players made me feel bad as a Keeper and bad for the players. They dealt with it admirably but I have to say that if I ran this again I might try and make the players the leaders of the expedition rather than just some monkeys that tag along. That would at least give them some invested interest in what we going on.

I have run Masks of Nyarlothotep more than once and I have to say I think it is greatly superior to BtMoM just in the freedom it allows the players with the investigation aspects of the game.

I enjoyed the story of this adventure more than the actual game parts. I think it makes an excellent story and a brilliant extension to the original novel, it is just a shame that the players actions really make very little difference to how things have to play out.

Let me know what you guys thought...

#6 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:26 PM

Thank you Hal. :D

#7 ChibiSoma

ChibiSoma

Raven

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLost in the dungeons

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:54 AM

So Hal, if and when you decide to record some Mythos-related stuff again, what do you think you'd pick? From the brief description both here and on-audio, it sounds like Masks would be fun. But not knowing more than that, I dunno how well it'd pan out.

I didn't really get into this until session... 11, I think, when the plot finally rolled in, half-frozen and pissed off that it was made to wait in the cold. Was great fun to the end, though. I'd definitely love hearing more Cthulhu-y sessions.

Shame Glen wasn't around for it, though.

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

I hate railroading my players too, but I really did like listening to these as a story. They really were well done in that respect.

Thanks for the top notch listening, guys. Let's see what the dramatic conclusion is.

#9 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

I didn't realize that Daboingy was Charles' last name. That caught me off guard when you were reading his character sheet. I think I laughed more than was appropriate.

You had to know that lots of friendly fire was coming. There were so many guns floating around. Everyone on the expedition seemed to have a rifle of some sort.

I can understand the players frustration. It was a fun game to listen to (and I'm sure a good read, but I don't own it personally), but I doubt it's all that fun to play. I think Hal made the right decision to skip alot of the chapters at the end. CoC campaigns should end on a high note. All the stuff he read at the end sounded like it would take several sessions to play through, and none of it was as interesting as the stuff the party just went through.

I hope the players are not too sour on CoC. It's one of my favorite systems. This probably wasn't a good introduction to the game. I don't remember if any of the players said this was their first CoC game. In the end Hal did a pretty good job with what he had, and it made for good listening.

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Thank you kindly sir :)

I think you were correct about the final chapters. It may have left a darker overtone to the conclusion but in the end it is better to head out on a high note.

I think if I run CoC for the Texans again (assuming they are not too sour on it) I might try Masks, Tatters or something from the Unseen Masters book :)

Though I do have Trail of Tsathoggua lying around here somewhere.

#11 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:11 PM

I think if I run CoC for the Texans again (assuming they are not too sour on it) I might try Masks, Tatters or something from the Unseen Masters book :)

I seem to remember another Keeper who started running Tatters. Maybe you should cajole that Keeper into giving it a go with the present crew? :twisted:

#12 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:12 PM

I seem to remember another Keeper who started running Tatters. Maybe you should cajole that Keeper into giving it a go with the present crew? :twisted:

Hell no, (I wont go... I mean run)

#13 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:49 PM

I've been trying to track down a copy of Day of the Beast for a reasonable price. It's long been out of print, but I hear it rivals Masks in it's expansiveness (without railroading the player). This is second hand information though.

#14 Face

Face

Fancypants Snaptackle

• Members
  • 597 posts
  • LocationTexas. Yup.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:05 AM

This is the sort of suggestion that makes Eformo a wonderful person. Also Lindsay is a master of accents, and it doesn't seem like the Houston crew are well enough acquainted with her expertise.

#15 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:53 AM

Face! Welcome back. Where have you been hiding?

#16 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:31 PM

Face! Welcome back. Where have you been hiding?

In the patrons area it really is just a nicer place. :D

#17 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

I've been trying to track down a copy of Day of the Beast for a reasonable price. It's long been out of print, but I hear it rivals Masks in it's expansiveness (without railroading the player).

We're playing, recording, and 'casting it over at http://thegaminggrunts.com (including my "Keeper's Diary"). It's been called a bit of a "monster mash", but the players seem to be enjoying it.

#18 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I just subscribed. Thanks for the heads up.

I see you've been playing for 33 sessions. About how far are you guys from completing the campaign?

#19 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:01 PM

I just subscribed. Thanks for the heads up.

I see you've been playing for 33 sessions. About how far are you guys from completing the campaign?

We're pretty close to the end, I estimate the final session will be #37, #38, or maybe #39.

#20 TheGlen

TheGlen

Stirge

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

I didn't realize that Daboingy was Charles' last name. That caught me off guard when you were reading his character sheet. I think I laughed more than was appropriate.

Technically it was Dubunya, it's an ex-gf's last name. Then again, I am known for horrifically bad hand writing and rather difficult to pronounce characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge