• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

Thunderspire Labyrinth Session 11 (DnD 4e Session 22)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:52 AM

Back at it :) The party finally have all the pieces they need and decide to wait the guardian who is unfortunately a little lack lustre, mostly due to getting surrounded due to rubbish initiative.

Thunderspire Labyrinth Session 11

Filesize: 77MB

EPICs Podcast Updated :)

Hal :hal:

#2 Bcanan

Bcanan

Kobold

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Locationel dorado, ks

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

all right thank you hal

#3 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thank you Lindsay, Texans and Hal. :D

#4 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:53 PM

Yay! Thanks Hal!

I tend to agree that the guardian is a bit of a letdown. The Well of Demons is probably the best dungeon in Thunderspire Labryinth, all in all, but the first time I read the adventure I found myself wondering how the Dragon was supposed to be tough enough.

I like all the traps and stuff, but trying to make a level 5 (skirmisher) dragon into a boss fight for a level 6 party in an enclosed space wasn't the best idea Wizards has ever done. Not to mention the green pool, which rewards the players for planning ahead but makes the dragon even wimpier.

Consider if they had used a Red Dragon (level 7 Soldier) instead.

AC 25, HP 332, Two Claw Attacks at +14 for 2d6+6, ect. That would have had the party scrambling to survive.

But whatever. It's not like the Guardian is a final boss or anything.

#5 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

Whee, more audio goodness!

I think it's more disappointing because it is the very first solo monster they faced, and it sucked.

Aside from the fact that multiple PCs pounding on a single solo is already bad enough (IMO, solos aren't really meant to be used solo), they made the fact dead obvious that green dragon -> resist poison potion -> better goddang drink it unless you're an idiot.

(edited to prevent more spoilers than already spilled)

Anyway, Frightful Presence isn't that bad, Hal. Stun is worse than dazed as a condition, total party stun is a horribly funny thing to see. :D

#6 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Anyway, Frightful Presence isn't that bad, Hal. Stun is worse than dazed as a condition, total party stun is a horribly funny thing to see. Very Happy

Giving up your attack just to stun isn't usually a great idea (for a solo monster) but the Dragon has action points for a reason. Stun+breath is a pretty good combo for any dragon.

#7 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Well, I suppose I was referring to the point in the podcast where Hal actually mentioned Frightful Presence. Didn't want to spoil the ending though.

#8 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:38 PM

Is there any way to get a look at all of David's pictures? He seems to take alot of them and I can not find a link to see them.
And also. . . JAMES COME BACK ! ! ! I know I said All Hail Splug & all but I have warmed up to his Paladin. He plays a great " good-guy" but a better tormented guy.
Incidentally- Congrats Lindsey on your fundable, and I sure hope the job-search ends well for you Hal. I live in Maryland and am out of the job-search loop. If I could do something I would.
We are all thinking of you two and hoping for the best.
P.S. I don't think anyone would really mind if you fudged a few rolls Hal and Stendar the Betrayer got " wacked " . Food for thought. . . that's all.

#9 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

I don't know when they will post to the general site but I am back as of this last Friday.

We would have been back the week before but I believe we had a "lost" session due to technical issues beyond my comprehension.

#10 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:20 PM

That was the wussiest dragon ever.

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

I don't know when they will post to the general site but I am back as of this last Friday.

Excellent news. We've missed you :)

We would have been back the week before but I believe we had a "lost" session due to technical issues beyond my comprehension.

It's traditional. Lost episodes are almost a rite of passage, on top of which Hal and Lindsay have recorded so many sessions it's a wonder they haven't lost more of them. The infamous missing final episode of the Whartson Hall "Pirates" game was one of those weird ones, where the recorder was absolutely fine until we pressed "stop", then it had a hissy and corrupted the whole file. Technology does that to you :D

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 29 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

I love the way the ghosts in this session all worshipped Greyhawk gods in a Forgotten Realms adventure. Don't you just love how whatever poor numpty got landed with writing this adventure managed to complately fail to remember which setting it's based in?

#13 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:26 AM

Eh? It's not a FR adventure. It's a "PoL" adventure, which is set in their generic background campaign setting, which uses a mix of GR, FR, and new (Raven Queen) gods.

#14 HisDivineShadow

HisDivineShadow

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:20 AM

What do you agree with?

#15 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members