18 replies to this topic

#1 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:11 PM

Our gaming group has been playing through the Scales of War Adventure Path on Thursday nights. We don't record the audio but I have been keeping an online journal/wiki of events.

Imagine my surprise when my character, a hobbit named Stully, revealed in the latest journal entry (#13) that he is related to the Hilltopple clan by marriage

I know it's not as exciting as audio but you can find the wiki here:

http://scalesofwar.wikispaces.com/

Tom

#2 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:46 PM

that's awesome! i am also running my group through the scales of war. so far, how is your group fairing? my group (being a very un-balanced party 3 strikers, a defender and a controller.) is having a bit of trouble..

heading to the wiki right now. :)

#3 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 08 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hey Tengu,

I'm actually a player in the game not the GM but, to answer your question, we are having a difficult time. The tactics used in 3.x don't work as well in 4.0. The big change for us is getting used to the minions because they must be taken out early by area effect actions.

If you read the journal you know that we almost had TPK on several occasions in Rescue at Rivenroar.

We have 2 Strikers (Taysa the Ranger and Stully the Rogue), 2 Defenders (Gravel the Fighter and LaShanna the Paladin), and a Controller (Goku the Wizard) which leaves us Leaderless as well!

I think as your players get more used to the system and how to optimize their powers they will find things less difficult.

I hope you enjoyed reading about our adventures and your group has as much, or more, fun than us.

Tom

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

I have to say that having run 4e for a bit now you can pretty much do without a leader. Everything else is really important as long as everyone plays their role.

The defenders need to speed bump the big scary monsters! The controller needs to blow the crap out of groups of minions and more mooky monsters and the strikers need to concentrate their fire and attacks so that they can put down pretty much one monster per round.

Never - I repeat never - split the party! Just don't. The whole group is just less effective. You are better when you can assist each other and as there are so many powers that let you give bonuses to others it is daft to walk away on your own.

Just listen to session 5 of Thunderspire and see what happens when the party splits up.

Then you can read my blog entry on the Troll Lair about the rather uninspiring death of one of the characters. I have to say for a game that is supposed to concentrate on cinematic combat, death is rather an anticlimax.

Anyway, thats enough ranting :)

Hal :hal:

#5 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:49 PM

It was darn near another TPK for Stully and his companions last night. We had two of five down and all three of the others bloodied.

Read the heroic tales of Gravel the farm boy turned hero, the amazing Stultafor Milbegrew (related by marriage to the Hilltopple clan) and his Shirikin of Death, Guku the Pretty Boy wizard, LaShanna the spearchucking Eladran babe, and Taysa Longwalker with her archery expertise.

Stully

#6 Merlin

Merlin

Kobold

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

Nice campaign log. I'm running Scales for my group and I've found that they are kicking the hell outta the bad guys pretty easily. They didn't have a leader-type the first session and things were tough, but after the Cleric showed up it has pretty much been a cakewalk (except for the time the Cleric waded into melee combat for some reason and got mauled; he was told never to engage in melee again by the Paladin, it was a few rolls away from TPK imo). Parties can certainly survive without a leader, but i think the leader class makes things so much easier. They went from being able to fight one or maybe two fights between extended rests to being able to go four or five encounters. It's a remarkable difference.

My Scales journal is up on this site if you're interested, though it isn't written from a single perspective, so i think it gets a bit ramble-y.

#7 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:39 AM

Hi Merlin,

I read your journals. Very combat intensive! That is D&D for you though.

Your players seem to hit more often than we did at the start. With even a moderate AC of 19 or better and a general to hit bonus of +4 - +6 we found it very difficult to hit Ogre, the Hobgoblins, the Kuthrik, and most things we encountered. Hitting the high AC monsters continues to be our biggest difficulty in combat.

In our last combat we were fighting a 24 AC monster with 140 hit points and our best to hit bonus was +8. That rates out at about 25% success. I've always found AC to be the great equalizer in D&D combats.

In the 3.5 game I am GMing the players are 13th level. A 200 hp monster with an AC of under 20 goes down in a round (3 attacks per round, power attack feat out the kazoo). A 100 hp monster with an AC 25+ is much tougher. 4th Edition seems to have the same dynamics.

Tom

#8 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

Hi Merlin,

I read your journals. Very combat intensive! That is D&D for you though.

Your players seem to hit more often than we did at the start. With even a moderate AC of 19 or better and a general to hit bonus of +4 - +6 we found it very difficult to hit Ogre, the Hobgoblins, the Kuthrik, and most things we encountered. Hitting the high AC monsters continues to be our biggest difficulty in combat.

In our last combat we were fighting a 24 AC monster with 140 hit points and our best to hit bonus was +8. That rates out at about 25% success. I've always found AC to be the great equalizer in D&D combats.

In the 3.5 game I am GMing the players are 13th level. A 200 hp monster with an AC of under 20 goes down in a round (3 attacks per round, power attack feat out the kazoo). A 100 hp monster with an AC 25+ is much tougher. 4th Edition seems to have the same dynamics.

Tom

AC is the highest of the 4 defenses in 4th. This is to compensate for weapon proficiency bonuses and such. Most 1st level characters I've run have had bonuses of 5-8 using their preferred weapons (and a rogue with an insane bonus of +10!). It's one reason I like casters. They tend to target weaker defenses such as will or fort. But they don't get a proficiency bonus so it really evens out.

#9 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

We took a week off but I just posted the latest session at:

It was mostly combat as we are in full dungeon crawl.

#10 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

We completed Siege at Bordrin's Watch last night Dec 18 and I posted the epic tale just now.

See Session 16 - Nexus Sealed for details on how young Stultafor Milbegrew (related to the Hilltopple clan by marriage) saved the entire Elsir Vale with his heroic deeds, learn suprising dwarf traits, more hints to Gravel's sexual orientation, and much, much more!

#11 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:59 AM

Jan 2, 2009 Entry posted at http://scalesofwar.wikispaces.com/

Not much battling in this session as we settled back into Overlook and suddenly realized that our troubles were not over with the destruction of the Orc horde.

Highlights include Stully getting lucky, LaShanna in a fashion show, Goku screaming like a little girl (yet again), and Gravel providing comic relief (as usual). I hope you enjoy.

Tom

#12 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

New Episode Available:

Jan 9, 2009:

This was more of a role-playing investigation as the group attempted to gain entrance to the Happy Beggar and learn more about Modra.

Highlights include Stully serving dinner to the homeless, the power of Guku's hair, roaches on the roof, and more information about Gravel's shoe size than anyone wanted!

Tom

#13 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:32 PM

After our hiatus we managed to sneak in a game this week. Our GM had surgery yesterday and is recovering nicely. We may actually be able to play more often if he is up to it because he is off work for a while.

Session 19 - Portals - Portals - Portals is found here:

More stories from Uncle Jimbus and Gravel goes mad attacking his own party!

#14 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hello all.

We played last night and thanks to a light work schedule I was able to post an update to the site this morning.

http://scalesofwar.w....com/Session 20

We travel to the dread Shadowfell and meet up with an army. Taysa, of all people, immediately gets in a fight while Gravel is off drinking and a newly accessorized Stully is playing cards. And, of course, Goku screams like a little girl yet again.

Hope you all enjoy,

Tom

#15 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

To anyone still interested,

We completed another session last night as we battled Modra in the dark foundry.

Highlights include a narrow passage forcing the busty LaShanna and Taysa to do a bit of squeezing, Stully attemping a complex negotiation with Modra, and finally the seemingly invincible Gravel taking a short bath in lava and living to tell the story!

Please enjoy!

#16 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:33 PM

We have been playing pretty regularly on Tuesday nights and mostly finished up Chapter III last night. I posted the synopsis just now in case anyone is still interested.

Gravel runs away, an escape too easy to be true, spectral panthers, and more!

Tom

#17 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

I've posted the latest session of Scales of War.

Gravel becomes Sir Gravel, Taysa intervenes in Stully's romantic endeavors, a lying dwarf hires us, and the desert awaits!

Tom

#18 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

I thought I'd update on our progress. We took some time off and we are slowing down a bit but the game soldiers on.

I posted the latest update just now. We are nearing the end of the Lost Mines of Karak and I'm utterly confused as to the plot of the Adventure Path! But, the individual modules are great fun and we are all having a blast!

All the favorites are still alive and we haven't had a party member go down in a few sessions. I hope everyone, anyone :D, is enjoying our adventures!

#19 tomlib

tomlib

Goblin

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I know a few people are still following the adventures of LaShanna, Goku, Gravel, Taysa and your faithful narrator Stultafor "Stully" Milbegrew but I thought I'd post again in case people were following sporadically or had forgotten.

We continue to soldier on and are now at the entrance to Castle Greystone in Den of the Destroyer. The entire group is still alive although we had most of the party bloodied or down in the last two encounters.

Gravel and Taysa continue their odd romance, Stully cooks up a storm, Goku's romantic attempts fall flat, and LaShanna puts up with it all.

Enjoy.

Tom

P.S. This was one of those dreaded 4th Edition combat forever sessions. We did two combats in four hours and almost nothing else. Blech.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge