• Create Account
Photo

Thunderspire Labyrinth Session 5 (DnD 4e Session 16)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

See - I missed out on an opportunity there - but the with the magic of audio we could easily go back and insert the words, "Two huge lumber Umber Hulks burst through the wall to the surprise of everyone and grab the body of the almost dead Nyess and tear it apart in a frenzy before disappearing in a puff of lavender smoke!"

:P

Hal :hal:

#22 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 04:05 PM

Could it at least be red or black smoke?

Lavender? Sheesh!

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:10 PM

I always pictured Nyess as a lavender kind of guy ;)

#24 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, how poofy can you get there Hal?! :wink:

Personally, I would have said:"Dozens of barely visible wisps of black smoke in the shape of 6" tall demons seep from the shadows and tear into Nyess' newly expired corpse like so many ethereal piranha leaving behind only charred bones mere seconds after appearing. Then, as quickly and mysteriously as they came, their wispy forms disappear without a visible trace leaving behind only the acrid stench of what seems to be brimstone."How be 'dat James?! :pimp:

#25 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thats totally mean - not like Nyess would be scared of six inch tall demons even if he was dressed in lavender and lying dying on the floor ;)

#26 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

Maybe he was wearing ladies lacy underthings that were lavender?

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

That sounds about right ;) Perhaps that was the evil they were supposed to eating :P

Or perhaps that was his "magic wand" ;)

#28 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

Soooo....would it be a bad thing if we started a betting pool to see who dies next?

And we need to start coming up with obnoxious Paladin catchphrases, of course.

I'd join in on the lavender magic wand speculation, but frankly, I'm colorblind. :?

#29 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

Thranduul,

Yeah that would have been pretty much how I figured it would go.

Maybe 6' tall though rather than 6".

The lavender? Never!

#30 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Soooo....would it be a bad thing if we started a betting pool to see who dies next?

That's a hell of an idea. New thread. :twisted:

#31 Merlin

Merlin

Kobold

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:18 AM

Note to Goggles: You can swap out Flaming Sphere for your other daily during an extended rest (using your spellbook feature) so that as long as you're in a castle filled with dudes who have fire resist 10 or whatever you can actually hurt them.

That is all. Carry on.

#32 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Duly noted. Until I last leveled, my alternative was the ever-useless sleep spell. Fixed that.

#33 Merlin

Merlin

Kobold

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:13 AM

Duly noted. Until I last leveled, my alternative was the ever-useless sleep spell. Fixed that.

:lol: If you go over to the WoTC forums and look up orb mages and status effects, you'll see a bunch of "wtf ZOMG sleep is broken!!!11one" rhetoric on there. It's nice to see that in actual play it's fairly tame.

Edit: Not that i endorse visiting the WoTC forums for any length of time. It's purely an instructional thing. :wink:

#34 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Sleep isn't totally useless. It works fairly well if it hits. If nothing else it can slow some creatures down for a bit. Orb wizards do get a bit more usefuelness out of it by using the orb special ability to reduce enemy saving throws against it's effect. (BTW what implement mastery did Stendar go with? I don't recall it coming up before)

#35 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

... we have a guest player voicing Splug for this one ;)

Nice to hear Steve again, but how the heck does he manage to travel back and forth to the US so many times? Is the dollar that sucky and the pound that strong?

#36 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

... we have a guest player voicing Splug for this one ;)

Nice to hear Steve again, but how the heck does he manage to travel back and forth to the US so many times? Is the dollar that sucky and the pound that strong?

He has only been twice in the 2 years we have lived here..

#37 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

Is the dollar that sucky and the pound that strong?

It was - practically $2 to £1, in fact, just a few months ago - but sadly it's down to around $1.60 to £1 now.

#38 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 09:08 AM

I sure hope this recent death doesn't convince the party that fighting on multiple fronts isn't the way to do battle. I mean, if they used logic and tactics things would get so boring!

And I think Steve deserves a round of applause for slipping so quickly into the role, complete with voice, of Splug. Having only heard him do good aligned clerics before, it was neat to see him revel in a little mischief.

#39 PrinceMark

PrinceMark

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:11 AM

Nooooo! :(

I actually got up to the tragic moment and then had to go to work, I even let out an audible "*gasp* Not Nyess!".

---

On the subject of heroic deaths;

Don't forget a PC can also die if they reach their bloodied value in negative hitpoints.

I do agree that death is less than heroic though, WoTC took a lot of time to make the game more heroic. Heck, even the "Roll a 20, spend a healing surge, get back into the fight" part of the death rule lends itself to more heroic play.

One houserule I am tempted to implement is that if a PC is going to die, aka they have failed their third death save, they can make a saving throw, on a success they can act as normal for one round but no amount of healing can save them from deaths clutches.

There is something a bit tragic about party death now though, slowly trickling away while the fight carries on around you... :(

;___;

Sadness!

#40 HisDivineShadow

HisDivineShadow

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

There is something a bit tragic about party death now though, slowly trickling away while the fight carries on around you... :(

Especially if no-one attempts to heal you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge