• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

Thunderspire Labyrinth Session 5 (DnD 4e Session 16)

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:26 PM

OK! This one is a big session - it is pretty long and there is lots of stuff goes on. The party continue to wander about inside the Horned Hold looking for the slaves and encounter some stiff resistance.

One of their number meets an unfortunate end and we have a guest player voicing Splug for this one ;)

Lots of action and consequences!

Thunderspire Labyrinth Session 5

Filesize: 96MB

Let me know what you guys think :)

EPICs Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Mr. Hal!

#3 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 05 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

As always, I'm thrilled for new sessions being dropped. And since I'll be gaming tonight, looks like this one (and the Sorceror one) may actually keep for a few days.

Oh who am I kidding? I'll just be up really really late tonight. :coffee:

#4 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

awesome! thanks hal...

pengu... i can't wait to google that! :)

#5 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Thank you Hal. :D

#6 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:03 PM

awesome! thanks hal...

Pingu can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu

#7 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:06 PM

an unfortunate end??? a guest voice for splug? arrg why do I have to go to work now! Oh well I guess I'll be up really really late too.

#8 dm_paragon

dm_paragon

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

To the Player group of RPGMP3:

Thank you very much for this entertaining podcast. I have been looking along time for a good 4th edition podcast and this one has alowed me to stop the search. The group is fun to listen too (boobies!!), and uses the recorded time to get some good gaming in! Thanks for the work!

A piece of advice: Alot of podcast worry too much about how long the podcasts turn out to be. Some listeners like short casts, etc. My suggestion, if you face these issues is to not worry about it much. Expecially since this is an RPG podcast. You can't get a sence of the players, the DM or the game if you shorten it too much. I have come to feel like a member of the group over the last couple of weeks (catching up on previous games as well) and love the podcast, even if it is longer then most...as it needs to be.

Incase you guys tally these sort of comments, I will tell you, I get your podcastss through Zune software...AND LOVE THE PODCAST!!!

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Hey there,

Glad you like the site and the DnD recordings :)

We do not specifically aim to keep the podcast recording short but I find after doing this for a number of years (some might say far too many) that the ideal length for the recording is somewhere between 2 and a half and 4 hours. Most of our recordings aim to land in there somewhere :P

We do not want to overload anyone with huge amounts of audio all at once as it slows down site traffic and I think the small movie length audio installments are ideal and they also take up less space on the site storage, are faster to upload and download and means we can host a wider range of things without overloading you guys.

I love doing this stuff. I love GMing and I love sharing it with you all :)

Cheers

#10 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

awesome! thanks hal...

Pingu can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingu

wow..!! now that's funny... thank you very much for sharing Lindsay..

i was given the nick-name Tengu by my grandfather.. i guess i was due to the fact that i was a mischievous little kid. here is a quick description of Tengu. :) the really funny thing is, the monks back home used to call me Tengu as well. :)

Tengu (天狗, Tengu? "heavenly dogs") are a class of supernatural creatures found in Japanese folklore, art, theater, and literature. They are one of the best known yōkai (monster-spirits) and are sometimes worshipped as Shinto kami (revered spirits or gods). Although they take their name from a dog-like Chinese demon (Tiangou), the tengu were originally thought to take the forms of birds of prey, and they are traditionally depicted with both human and avian characteristics. The earliest tengu were pictured with beaks, but this feature has often been humanized as an unnaturally long nose, which today is practically the tengu's defining characteristic in the popular imagination.

Buddhism long held that the tengu were disruptive demons and harbingers of war. Their image gradually softened, however, into one of protective, if still dangerous, spirits of the mountains and forests. Tengu are associated with the ascetic practice known as Shugendō, and they are usually depicted in the distinctive garb of its followers, the yamabushi.

#11 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:08 AM

Two comments on this session:

1. Good to hear Steve.

2. Noooooooooo! :cry:

#12 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:32 AM

That's...quite a character turnaround. This should be interesting. "Eat my Goodness!" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, though.

I've never played a Paladin, but the powers look interesting. Is James going for the Avenging or Protecting route?

As always though, the session was great fun to listen to. For some reason, I now envision Ned's character as carrying around a bazooka rather than a longbow. It just seems more appropriate somehow.

[/code]

#13 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

Two comments on this session:

1. Good to hear Steve.

2. Noooooooooo! :cry:

i know just how you feel...... :(

#14 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, it was rough session.

Calder has his own strengths though.

#15 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, but I just know there's at least ONE person in my new local gaming group who will graph out how much damage-dealing potential the party has lost, based on Nyess' average hit percentage over all sessions factoring the median of the damage of all his abilities. Mark my words, I will be shown statistics, boy!

More importantly, you've now got to come up with a whole new catalogue of taglines.

#16 kcheu

kcheu

Toad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

ya james, i for one loved the tag lines as i thing they add so much to the character. looking forward to hearing some new lines from the paladin. also, trying to do a splug voice over the internet via fantasy grounds and vent just isn't the same......

#17 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

i can still send you the "half-completed" Nyess if you would like.

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Yeah! We need him! He has been around ages and needs to have a shiny character piccie :)

I thought his death was rather less heroic than I would have liked. He was not struck down in combat he just kind of bled out on the floor. It is not the kind of character death that gives me a "job well done feeling" as a DM.

#19 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:08 AM

Given that the designers were trying for a heroic/cinematic feel to the game in general, I'd think the "save vs death" rule might stand a little scrutiny.

#20 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 06 November 2008 - 11:10 AM

It is not the kind of character death that gives me a "job well done feeling" as a DM.

This is why, when a character death looks possible, it is vitally important to have a couple of Umber Hulks burst through the wall and rip the PC to shreds. At least give the death some meaning :wink:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge