• Create Account
Photo

BitTorrent Files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you download higher quality BitTorrent files if they were available? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you download higher quality BitTorrent files if they were available?

1. Yes (19 votes [76.00%])

Percentage of vote: 76.00%

2. No (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

Following on from the Blog Torrent test, out of interest, if higher quality BitTorrent files of the WLD were available (say 48K AAC, or even the straight 64K MP3) would you download them?

Each BitTorrent file say only being available for a couple of weeks or until the next file became available.

Just musing.

#2 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

More musing: straight 64KBPS 44Khz MP3 (i.e recording quality) with embedded photos viewable on iPods or through iTunes etc.

Just doing a test right now over at: YSDC Torrents

#3 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

I paused the test file at 32/74MB, I don't know all the ins & outs yet as to whether you can therefore download a partial playable MP3 and/or can resume at a later time. More experimentation to come!

#4 TrueLugia121

TrueLugia121

Toad

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 September 2007 - 11:39 PM

yeah i had the same idea myself lately as well. i use a variety of Torrent for files such as AVI videos and such. maybe this might be a good message to not take up mandwidth of downloading individual files.

#5 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:03 AM

I feel no pressing need for higher quality versions of the audio files, myself. Having said that, if such files were to become available, I'd probably go ahead and download them.

#6 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:12 AM

I too don't feel the need for shinier, larger versions of the files. However, I would download them in the hopes of hearing some of the indecipherable mutterings for the blasphemous things we all knew they were.

I do think that bittorrents would be a great way to disseminate the file. Put up a torrent link exactly once, say for two days after release of a new session being released. I'd guess that, by seeding this for 6 hours or so you could get a cloud that would take care of most of the initial rush of downloaders. The torrent would die off quickly with the torrent being taken down, but by that time hopefully you've uploaded the file only a fraction of the times that people have downloaded it. Then again, I use torrents on a daily basis.

-Pete

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:00 AM

Why are we having all this Forum Necromancy of late?

The new files are of higher quality than the old ones :) They are larger and shinier, mainly due to our technological advances :P

Hal :hal:

#8 woojitsu

woojitsu

Ghoul

• Members
  • 652 posts
  • LocationOroville, CA

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

Silly me, not even looking at the datestamps on Paul's original posts. Since I wasn't here when this topic came around the first time, I had never seen it before. I guess I just assumed that it was new. :flog:

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:18 PM

No problem :) Its all good :)

It is sometimes good to revisit old ideas and see if things have changed :)

Hal :hal:

#10 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 25 September 2007 - 08:29 AM

Certainly worth revisiting as the bandwidth needs for the site have continued growing rapidly over the last two years.

Also worth revisiting (I feel) because torrents are much more popular now than they were two years ago.

-Pete

#11 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 25 September 2007 - 09:51 AM

Why are we having all this Forum Necromancy of late?

Arrise, ye threads of olde!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge