• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Just curious though, have there been any further sessions into Thunderspire yet, or is everything still being sorted out after Ike?

#22 5monkeys

5monkeys

Stirge

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationChristchurch, New Zealand

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:36 PM

I believe they played another game this evening (if they're not playing it right now :D).

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:23 PM

We most certainly did :)

I am hoping to get back to a more standard release schedule as of tomorrow so hopefully that will mean I will manage to get some more 4e uploaded for you guys ;)

I have to say that tonights session was very very funny :) They totally wandered off plot but we managed to get them pointing in the right direction by the end of things :D

Hal :hal:

#24 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

We most certainly did :)

I am hoping to get back to a more standard release schedule as of tomorrow so hopefully that will mean I will manage to get some more 4e uploaded for you guys ;)

I have to say that tonights session was very very funny :) They totally wandered off plot but we managed to get them pointing in the right direction by the end of things :D

Awesomeness :)

#25 duck69a

duck69a

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

Couple of thing from this session, remind the cleric healing word is a minor action and can do this twice per encounter.

Flaming sphere does damage if a creature starts it turn adjacent to the sphere, not ends its turn adjacent

#26 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

I'm halfway through this at the moment and had to write in to say that it's really enjoyable listening! Great work all! :D

One thing though with the room for what I guess is the final battle (at least it looks that way at the half-session point of the recording). Without going into details if you haven't listened yet, it seems surprisingly full on for a module that's so high profile and will sell the game across so many families across the world. I mean, I'm fine with it, but I can imagine some parents going 8O when they hear little Johnny reading out that room description...

#27 Moomintroll

Moomintroll

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:37 PM

I finished this series of podcasts while ago, but didn't have time to post until now. Anyway, great job everyone! It was very entertaining. Hal was a great DM, and I give the most valuable player award to Nyess whose role-playing skill and variety of curses kept me smiling.

For some reason the Flickr photos posted at the beginning of this thread by Lindsay aren't showing up for me. Were they removed? Or maybe my software is misbehaving.

A few podcasts ago I did find some other Flickr links with photos of the Shadowfell players with other games. It was kind of weird seeing what everyone looked like. I don't know if other people's brains do the same thing, but when I hear a voice on the "radio" my mind creates a very vivid fictional image of them. So when I found your photos it was kind of like a mental necker cube with the image of the person cycling back and forth as I remembered what they really looked like. (This has happened before to me when I finally found out what Ira Glass looks like on This American Life.)

Anyway, that comment is neither here no there, just a funny phenomenon I experienced.

I hope to find time to move on to the next adventure. I'm still new to the site, are there any "best of" podcasts here that are a must-listen? I just chose this one initially because I was curious about 4e, and I was also wondering what the real KotS module was like (after listening to the super abridge version of the first Penny Arcade/PvP series.)

Sorry if that was an off-topic question. Anyway, unless otherwise advised I'm moving on to Thunderspire! Thanks for making these podcasts!

#28 MadMac

MadMac

Raven

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

Ah, Keep on the Shadowfell. Wizards actually just released this adventure on their website for free.

http://www.wizards.c.../4news/20090428

Interestingly enough, It looks like they made a lot of changes, updating monster stats, changing monsters, changing up some of the encounters, adding more story bits, and revising the skill challenge.

Shame they didn't release a conversion document though. If I decided to run the new version, I think I'd have to just make do with the PDF rather than trying to update the booklet.

#29 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

I'm still new to the site, are there any "best of" podcasts here that are a must-listen?

My own recommendations (in no particular order):
Rolemaster
Warhammer
Labour of Love/Tomb of Heggemoth
Everything in the Whartson Hall catalogue (including those Tuesday night splitters)
Warlords of the Accordlands
Beyond the Mountains of Madness
All the Christmas Specials
The TGG's Conan game
The WLD
Tropis
The Banewarrens
The Sunless Citadel
Steve's ToEE game
Lindsay's Tatters of the King game
The Star Wars recording by the Cowboy Gamers

Note that I heavily abridged my list so as not to include any game that isn't outstanding.

#30 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:48 AM

Note that I heavily abridged my list so as not to include any game that isn't outstanding.

Ah, I see. I was wondering why your list was only thirty miles long. :)

#31 hughie

hughie

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hi,
I’ve just listened to the entire KotS series of podcasts,Ive not heard of the site or podcasts till a short while ago, I’m brand new here, I’ve got to say I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the podcasts and pretty much listened to nothing else over the course of the last week or so.
I’m a newbie to 4e (and hoping to form my own group) so listening to actual play was informative as well as fun
One of the highlights for me might strike you guys as a bit strange, the conversation on one of the podcasts about chocolate was surreal and cool at the same time, I’m an Aussie so I knew all the chockies you were referring too.
What was surreal about it was after listening to so many hours of play I kind of felt I was actually sitting at the table and we were talking about flakes and picnics when in reality I was thousands of miles away driving in the dark in Melbourne.
Keep up the terrific work.

#32 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:31 AM

Hey there,

Welcome to the site. I am so glad the audio helped you out and may draw you to the table. That's really why we are here I suppose :D

Enjoy the site. Feel free to post. No one really bites hard round here ;)

Cheers

#33 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

What was surreal about it was after listening to so many hours of play I kind of felt I was actually sitting at the table and we were talking about flakes and picnics when in reality I was thousands of miles away driving in the dark in Melbourne.

That's one of the best things about any off topic chatter. It brings the game from some faraway place right into your room and makes it feel more real. Be it character creation, discussing the merrits of various curry houses or postmen not delivering stuff it all makes the games even more fun.

#34 MarioRC

MarioRC

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNaples, Italy

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:54 PM

I agree! It's fun to get some of those crosscultural discussions. I'm half Scot, so I get most of the Brit context related parts. And it feels like being at the table, or more like watching a movie when, you enjoy whatever, but are unable to tell the hero/heroine not to open that door! Next step live multicast with online chat or voip multipresence.

#35 hughie

hughie

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

Enjoy the site. Feel free to post. No one really bites hard round here ;)

Cheers

Except for splug I’m suspecting!

Which is another huge highlight on the podcast for me, mate, you doing splug had me in tears at certain points, especially when the betrayer kept firebombing him, and his interplay with Bree on good and bad, as we say down here,
Champaign comedy! :D

#36 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:41 AM

Thank you kind sir.

I have always found that if you play your NPCs well it makes the game a lot more fun than if they are just stats on a sheet that follow the party around :)

#37 Riggzy

Riggzy

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:50 AM

I'll most likely be finishing my own game of KotS this week (in our 11th session, as it happens). You guys put together a great final fight, despite the strange hazards that are written into it...

In agreement with Hal: The one piece of feedback I've had from all my players, who are all new to D&D in general, is that this adventure is pretty battle-heavy. Even for D&D it seems a bit much. The player's have been learning to talk with NPCs, but nobody in the latter part of the dungeon wants to talk! It's good improv practice for myself, but not so enjoyable for the players.

I'm hoping the last two rooms won't be too bland - dipping in and out of RPGMP3's playthrough has given me a few ideas! Its a big help for a beginner DM, keep it up!

#38 Crasical

Crasical

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Delurking to pre-commentate on finally reaching session 11 of KotS. I'm going to headphone up and go have a listen once the download finishes, but I wanted to say that it's been a pleasure listening to y'all. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed RPGMP3 podcasts since I cut myself off of WLD after our group started running it. I've been burning through the 4e podcast this last week and now at the end of the adventure I feel I need to decloak and thank you for putting out this quality product for our listening pleasure. I hope you've had fun in this game and the games that followed since!

As an aside, I seem to have developed a habit of reading passages from my game-books in Hal's voice, which is a bit worrisome to say the least... Apparently you've supplanted Chris Perkins as my inner DM voice.

#39 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

As an aside, I seem to have developed a habit of reading passages from my game-books in Hal's voice, which is a bit worrisome to say the least... Apparently you've supplanted Chris Perkins as my inner DM voice.

Well at least I'm not the only one who has had this happen to him lol

#40 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Well at least I'm not the only one who has had this happen to him lol

It could be worse. I was once stuck in a car for three days with nothing to do but listen to the first five sessions of Rolemaster. There was a month-long period or so where EVERYTHING I read was in Hal's voice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge