Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:05 AM

What do you think of them?

There has been lots (and lots and lots and lots) of chatter about the rules, the game, the mini's element, but there has been very little said about the characters..

Who is your fave? Who annoys the crap out of you? Opinions, praise, let us know what you think of the Characters...

A recap

Hal - GM

Posted Image

The Players

David - Torinn - Dragonborn Fighter (2 handed type)

Posted Image

Ned - Giladril Elsiari - Elven Ranger (Archer type)

Posted Image

John/Goggles - Nerevar - Eladrin Warlord (Tactical type)

Posted Image

James - Nyess - 1/2 Elf Warlock (James initially created a character he later exchanged for this one)

Posted Image

Lindsay - Quillan Hilltopple - Halfling Rogue

Posted Image

Ruby

Posted Image

#2 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

The picture of James never seems to come through. How can I decide if he annoys me if I can't see his picture?

#3 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:20 AM

I've already decided that Splug is the best. :D I think there might be some resonating opinions on that.

#4 muradib

muradib

Stirge

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

Aye Aye splug is or man, creature, goblin thingy :)

#5 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:47 PM

The picture of James never seems to come through. How can I decide if he annoys me if I can't see his picture?

sssh, i dont have his photo so its one of James C..Blunt

#6 blinkhic

blinkhic

Toad

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

I say down with splug and up with lindsay (dont worry i'm married). The guys needs a women to keep them in line!!!!

#7 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

sssh, i dont have his photo so its one of James C..Blunt

All I see is a white square with a red X.

Hey! He looks like me!

... Is he a Beta Unit?

Am I?

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:55 PM

Aside from the obvious praise for Splug, I've always been a fan of Ned's elves, who never seem to get the respect they deserve.

#9 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

I think Splug is pretty good too. He does remind me of another golbin who died an untimely death to a cloudkill trap.

In terms of the actual characters? I kind of like Giladril. He does seem to be a stereotypical elf.

The warlock curses things, but that's all we see of his 'dark' side.

The warlord just sounds bossy, instead of commanding.

The fighter, for being some sort of strange dragon thing, acts very much like a human. I don't know if that is intentional or not.

#10 The_Nalic

The_Nalic

Goblin

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBradford, W. Yorks

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:35 PM

I think they're nothing a good Hilltopple won't sort out ;)

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

I think they're nothing a good Hilltopple won't sort out ;)

Is that a euphemism? :D

#12 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, could anyone give their opinion of any character other than Splug in full paragraph form? Maybe some tips, maybe a constructive criticism or two . . .

Please?

#13 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

Just out of curiosity, could anyone give their opinion of any character other than Splug in full paragraph form? Maybe some tips, maybe a constructive criticism or two . . .

Please?

I don't really have any criticisms I like that it seems that most of you are playing a character and giving it a personality that seems to be separate from your own. :D

#14 kevinha

kevinha

Toad

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Please?

While not a direct answer to your ask, one of the things I have found entertaining in Splug that is missing from the other characters is his motive and interaction that sparks conversation and interaction with others in a role playing mode.

I bring this up because it has sparked me to think more critically about how I play my own character in KotS; to move it from me working through stats with occasional moments of role playing to making the character leap off the page (although I credit much of the liveliness to Hal's vocal abilities with Splug.)

I've caught hints of this from James in his whispers to others and his attempts to embody his combat actions with additional personalized flavor.

If anything, I would offer up that more creative approaches to the party's moves in combat, introduction character traits and habits would build more character into the, well, characters.

I would love to see Ned play up his clothing fetish. It started a bit, but has since dropped off.

It's clear that David attacks first, asks questions later and is generally not the most quiet when it comes to Stealth. Again, these are traits that would be interesting to see more clearly and developed.

For you (assuming it's Goggles asking the question), your embodiment of the warlord to direct and lead is appearing, but it comes across as dry and lacking in motivation.

It's unclear how character development is staged to proceed given how KotS has unfolded thus far. It would be nice if there were character background we were unaware of that could be leveraged into the scenario.

Furthermore, the introduction of a skill challenge could very well begin to pull out additional character traits and role playing opportunities. I don't know if there is a spot within KotS forthcoming for skill challenges or not.

With that said, I've been thoroughly enjoying your KotS sessions, but I will admit they improved greatly with the introduction to Splug ... and you don't want to be overshadowed by an NPC.

Keep up the good work!

#15 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 01:45 AM

Being reminded of Ned's cleaniness obsession from the previous post, maybe he should convince the ritual-casting member of the party to pick up the Fastidiousness ritual presented in Dragon 366. Or pick up lots of scrolls of it if he's desperate enough for portable dry-cleaning. :D

#16 PhoenixAngel

PhoenixAngel

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time listener of your crew, and wanted to toss in my two cents here!

How are the characters? Hmmm.
John - The Pyro of the group :) Something about blowing up statues..hmmm...Why isn't there any magic missile?! :( Enjoying the banter between you and Lindsay and the huffing between the two of you...I really hope that something comes of that!

Ned - Way to keep missing the shots, but the whole idea of being a neat-freak is great! Why aren't there more jabs at this, or even some parts that really make him be the only one to have to get down and dirty? (Granted, he HAS had to deal with it at times, but more could be fun!)

David - Insane with the abilities, and the whole "Shut up, I'm bashing everything into paste!" is great to listen to...though yeah...um, wouldn't there be a bit more of a reaction from EVERYONE about seeing something that at least KIND of looks like a dragon roaring and busting everything apart? (David also reminds me of a dear friend from my old games, loved going full on assault like that, and love the quips he puts out there.)

James - Poor James. Fear my blast...poof... :( Not too shabby, and seems to be having a blast with the Warlock and really is getting me into pondering getting one started once I start playing some 4.0 ed. :D

Lindsay - Missed her through most of this, was happy to hear her come back at the end though. Sounds like she's more used to playing a rogue-ish type (haven't listened to WLD, that's next up on my Zune) but seems to be getting a handle on the morality part, and I've been loving the side interactions with her and Splug as she tries to make him a bit more civilized.

I hope I got everyone right with that (I did...right?) and wanted to say I've been LOVING this. I've missed having a normal gaming party to play with (third shift work doesn't really lend much time to play with others it seems) but at least this way I can get my fix! I've LOVED being able to listen to the side chatter and all the jokes and jabs and such, it reminds me of all the fun I had, and would love to try to pull something like this off myself sometime, you lot have inspired me!

So my thanks to you all for a fantastic time, you keep me sane on long car rides and long nights at work, please, PLEASE keep up the good work!

#17 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:35 PM

Hey!

In session 15, Nyess was hitting!

#18 Tengu

Tengu

Kobold

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:58 PM

:) i can't wait to hear how Nyess and the others are doing in thunderspire.

#19 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hey there,

Welcome to the site and thanks for the kind words about the games :)

Make yourself at home and listen to the WLD :)

Hal :hal:

#20 PhoenixAngel

PhoenixAngel

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Aye, just started WLD after wrapping up RoleMaster (which I'll keep over in THAT thread :D) Looking forward to hopping over to Thunderspire tonight and tomorrow on my drive, too.

And good to hear you were okay from the storm!

Keep up the fun, I was *dying* laughing last night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge