• Create Account
Photo

Does using minatures curtail creative thinking in combat?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 amandz

amandz

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

Imagine the scenario where two soldiers are fighting in hand to hand combat.

If I were you, I will use brass knuckles as to use in the hand combat.

#42 FredyBoi

FredyBoi

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:38 AM

Yeah that's a good idea. Brass knuckles is really good in hand to hand fight.

#43 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:09 AM

Imagine the scenario where two soldiers are fighting in hand to hand combat.

If I were you, I will use brass knuckles as to use in the hand combat.

You gotta admit, that is some creative spamming! :D First, they piss off everyone else enough to instigate a fight, and then provide a handy-dandy link to an online brass knuckle vendor. :)

But seriously, :gtfo:

#44 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

This is aimed at no-one, btw, I havent even really read the thread, just wanted to post my thoughts.

I have problems using mini's, one of the main ones being how it can spoil the gaming mood. Drawing grids, fishing out mini's, getting the positioned correctly, drawing room features all takes time and this can really ruin the mood for me..It distracts the DM, as he/she then has to monitor the situation, prepare anything else thats going to need to be brought into play and I dont think the roleplay aspect of the game benefits from this interuption/distraction, however brief.

Totally, totally agreed. This is role-playing, not a board game.

#45 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 26 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

This is aimed at no-one, btw, I havent even really read the thread, just wanted to post my thoughts.

I have problems using mini's, one of the main ones being how it can spoil the gaming mood. Drawing grids, fishing out mini's, getting the positioned correctly, drawing room features all takes time and this can really ruin the mood for me..It distracts the DM, as he/she then has to monitor the situation, prepare anything else thats going to need to be brought into play and I dont think the roleplay aspect of the game benefits from this interuption/distraction, however brief.

Totally, totally agreed. This is role-playing, not a board game.

This is where I'm at. The whole minis 'n' grit takes me out of the moment, I guess. It can't fun sometimes, but for me it stops being roleplaying.

#46 Trizophenie

Trizophenie

Raven

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Germany

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

Since this thread is already resurrected (seriously, who paid for the diamonds and the cleric?), I like the way WFRP takes on that in the newest edition, simply by having distance markers between arbitrary markers/minis for PCs and NPCs, which is all you really need from a mechanics viewpoint. That still leaves enough space for improvising on both the players and the DMs parts.

#47 ShootHere

ShootHere

Kobold

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

Well I wish to get my 2c in.

I always played the more "tactical" rpgs (mostly D&D) and as such found that maps were required to not get a horrible mess of being in range or not.

Playing D&D4e only further strengenthed (SP?!) the feeling. Most of it was very due to the fact that tactical combat mattered (very good to introduce new RP'ers btw!).

But after having played games like CoC and MAOCT we discovered that narration could be much more fun, little to no imaging and leaving it to the players to get the feeling.

Right now I must say I prefer the "free form RPGs" more than the mapped ones, just because they require less from the GM for preparation and more for the "at the moment creativity".

Just my 2c on the matter.

#48 sandman

sandman

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

I am playing AD&D (original edition) with miniatures and there doesn't seem to be any lack of narration. It is just easier to keep track of where everybody is in a battle.

#49 ninjakid

ninjakid

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

hi guys im new here..and i find it interested i like combat.. :)

“A man of courage never needs weapons like camillus, but he may need bail.”
Man Of Courage: ninjakid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge