7 replies to this topic

#1 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

This is not a d20 question, but rather a 4e question. Couldn't find a right place for the 4e rules question, but here it is.

What does the keyword "reliable" mean? There are several fighter powers that have this keyword, but I can't find any reference to the meaning of this keyword in the PHB or in the compendium...

If I could make it mean what I chose, I would make it mean, "Miss: you don't expend the use of this power." But I think that there are powers that say this. Most of these powers seem to be the kind of daily power that really bites if your attack roll is too low because you get NOTHING.

#2 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:54 PM

You are indeed correct, when you miss with a reliable power you don't lose it. Found on page 55 of PHB.

#3 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

Sneak Attack answer by the lurker! Welcome to the light.

The wording of the Reliable keyword is unfortunate, because it implies that if you miss once with a power that lets you attack multiple targets (and there are a few) the power is not expended. I think the intention is that the power is not expended if you don't hit at least once with it, not if you miss a viable target with it. Subtle difference. DM's should be prepared to decide which interpretation they want to use, should this issue arise in their game.

#4 Dungnmaster001

Dungnmaster001

Goblin

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Sneak Attack answer by the lurker! Welcome to the light.

The wording of the Reliable keyword is unfortunate, because it implies that if you miss once with a power that lets you attack multiple targets (and there are a few) the power is not expended. I think the intention is that the power is not expended if you don't hit at least once with it, not if you miss a viable target with it. Subtle difference. DM's should be prepared to decide which interpretation they want to use, should this issue arise in their game.

Yeah I stumbled across this site just last week after listening to the Penny Arcade/PvP podcast on the WotC site got me interested in finding other similar recordings.

As for the questionable ruling: Hmm I hadn't considered that. All the ones I had looked at were single target powers so it didn't seem relevant. A quick search yielded only one power that had the reliable keyword and hits more than one creature (thicket of blades, burst:1 fighter level 9 power). I would say that if you hit at least one creature it counts as a hit since you didn't "miss".

#5 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 04:01 PM

Yeah I stumbled across this site just last week after listening to the Penny Arcade/PvP podcast on the WotC site got me interested in finding other similar recordings.

Check out yog-sothoth.com, too, if you have any interest in Call of Cthulhu, or just entertaining game sessions.

I would say that if you hit at least one creature it counts as a hit since you didn't "miss".

As would I, but I imagine we've all encountered players who are desperate for every advantage and would interpret the words differently.

#6 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:32 PM

You are indeed correct, when you miss with a reliable power you don't lose it. Found on page 55 of PHB.

Thanks. I found this myself after much more looking. I've become too dependent on things like indicies and searchable databases. Much appreciated!

#7 centauri

centauri

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

Wizards issued some errata, including rewording of the Reliable keyword. It explicitly states that a reliable power is not used if you don't hit.

#8 ThatsWizard

ThatsWizard

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIndy

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

Oh man, that is awesome! I didn't even know about this keyword until just now! I'm playing a level 7 fighter in 4e, and it stinks so bad when I miss with something big! I hate missing anyway! I'll have to start looking into powers like this...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge