32 replies to this topic

#1 TomBedlam

TomBedlam

Goblin

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:54 PM

I recently won an auction for a spiffy recorder. I bought the Edirol R-09 stereo digital recorder. Not the same kind of recorder of the Bradfordians, nor the Yoggies, never the less I read a few good reviews so I bit the bullet.I'm going to muck about with it for a little while get some audio software and try to figure this gamecast stuff out.

Here's my problem. I broached the subject of recording the game to the group. Everyone save one person is fine with putting our adventures out in the interweb. The sole hold out attends the game sporadically due to his job. Even though he'd be missing two out of three times it would make a consistent gamecast impossible.

How do I convince the hold out to allow the game to be recorded? He's seems recalcitrant and I would feel It would be unfair recording someone without their consent.

#2 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

Perhaps he wouldn't mind recording a test session which wasn't to be aired on the internet. Then he could hear it back and see if he likes it. Otherwise I'm not really sure what you could do other than start up a smaller game on a different night for those who are interested in recording. The only problem with this is that you're all getting together to record a game session, not having a game session which you just happen to be recording, the former tends to make things a little artificial in my experience.

Hope you can sort the issue out Tom as it's always nice to see more audio hitting the borads :)

#3 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 08 July 2008 - 07:54 AM

How do I convince the hold out to allow the game to be recorded? He's seems recalcitrant and I would feel It would be unfair recording someone without their consent.

Two ideas.

The first requires you to think about how badly you want/need him around. Missing two out of three sessions suggests he wouldn't be missed by much...

Obviously the group voted. The group can decide that majority rules, and he can either stay and be recored, or not.

The second option involves threats of force... :)

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

I would go with Martin's suggestion first I think :)

Run a one off session of something and record it and then let the players listen to it back and see if they can manage to tolerate hearing themselves recorded and spread around the internet. Also feel free to direct your players over here if they have any questions, the forums would be more than supportive of another group joining the fray I would imagine.

Also the Edirol R-09 is a pretty nice piece of kit and should make a damn fine job of recording a table set up.

I believe Martin has an Edirol as a backup recorder :)

Hal :hal:

#5 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

"I don't have anger management issues, I just like solving my problems with violence..."

#6 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 12:21 AM

Also the Edirol R-09 is a pretty nice piece of kit and should make a damn fine job of recording a table set up.

I believe Martin has an Edirol as a backup recorder :)

Hal :hal:

Oh yes, a brilliant piece of kit:)

#7 TomBedlam

TomBedlam

Goblin

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:45 AM

I'm going to try Martin's method first, then maybe some unltraviolence as swj719 suggested. It would have been perfect this last weekend. The group was smaller and I was running a one shot CofC scenario. Sadly, the recorder arrived the day after the game.

Martin. What kind of mic do you use? I assume it some sort of boundary mic.. The Kunstkopf method used by PoC seems an expensive alternative.

#8 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:56 AM

I'm going to try Martin's method first, then maybe some unltraviolence as swj719 suggested. It would have been perfect this last weekend. The group was smaller and I was running a one shot CofC scenario. Sadly, the recorder arrived the day after the game.

Martin. What kind of mic do you use? I assume it some sort of boundary mic.. The Kunstkopf method used by PoC seems an expensive alternative.

I just use the internal mics on the Edirol, never bothered to plug in an external mic. Most of our more recent recordings are done that way so there's plenty of evidence knocking around on the site of just how good they are. Far more important than using different mics is to make sure your room is reording friendly. Throw lots of cushions around the place, cover any hard surfaces like doors and windows with curtains or blankets. Really try to dead the sound in the room to prevent a horrible bright recording, the recorder will do the rest.

For micing I prefer the Marantz recorders as these all have pre-amped XLR inputs which pretty much all the high spec mics require. For round-table gaming though just stick the Edirol in the middle of the table, switch it on and forget about it:)

#9 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:06 AM

then maybe some unltraviolence as swj719 suggested.

Two bits of wisdom for you...

"Never be afraid to be the first to resort to violence" and "If Violence isn't your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it."

:)

The Kunstkopf method used by PoC seems an expensive alternative.

Actually, I think the first basic system was fairly cheap. dummy head with some omni-mics where the ears are.

At least, thats what my non-audiophile mind thought when I heard it described. I'm sure PoC can give you great ideas to do some binaural surround sound recordings...

#10 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:08 AM

Most of our more recent recordings are done that way so there's plenty of evidence knocking around on the site of just how good they are.

Says the unbiased opinion... :)

just stick the Edirol in the middle of the table, switch it on and forget about it:)

Well, don't forget about it... Many a lost episode because people didn't check the status of the machine now and then... :)

#11 TomBedlam

TomBedlam

Goblin

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

Actually, I think the first basic system was fairly cheap. dummy head with some omni-mics where the ears are.

Hmm I'll look into it then. I've read that you can make cheap biaural mics with a pair of old head phones and radio shack gear so maybe that's an option.

Martin
Thanks for the advice. I'll do a test recording this weekend. Though the reviews I've read gave the recorder high marks, the internal mics were problems. It even had some home brew electronic fixes for the mics. I thought I'd skirt the issue with an external mic. Unfortunately, we play in a large conference room, thus the pillows and covering the windows is not feasible. It is generally quiet save our rowdy group.

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:51 PM

I've read that you can make cheap biaural mics with a pair of old head phones and radio shack gear so maybe that's an option.

Funnily enough, Martin and I once recorded an improvised radio-style play called Gronk Wackfondler: Special Agent using headphones as a microphone. We were recording to a fairly aged tape machine, though, so I can't give you much of an opinion of the quality (of either the recording or the material :D )

#13 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

The Edirol R-09 looks nice, but it's a bit on the expensive side ($299 US). Has anyone tried the Zoom H2 (only $173 US from Amazon)?

(FWIW, I'm recording with an iRiver 890 with a plug-in stereo mic (Sony ECM-DS30P). I wish I could get a little more volume from it -- except when the dog's barking or a die is rolling nearby, I'm maxing at about -12 dB, with the usual levels around -24 dB)

#14 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:57 PM

The Edirol R-09 looks nice, but it's a bit on the expensive side ($299 US). Has anyone tried the Zoom H2 (only $173 US from Amazon)?

(FWIW, I'm recording with an iRiver 890 with a plug-in stereo mic (Sony ECM-DS30P). I wish I could get a little more volume from it -- except when the dog's barking or a die is rolling nearby, I'm maxing at about -12 dB, with the usual levels around -24 dB)

If I'm not mistaken, the Accordlands games are recorded on a Zoom H2...

#15 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:03 PM

It doesn't have to be expensive at all, in fact I'll cover how to do it cheaply in the next installment of the Phantasmagorical Audio Diary.

Paul

#16 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:06 PM

We also use the Zoom H2 for general game recordings. Very handy, good quality, offers surround sound if wanted. Lots of people 'taping' their games have started to use them (Us, BAG People, Evil Hat etc.).

#17 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

It doesn't have to be expensive at all, in fact I'll cover how to do it cheaply in the next installment of the Phantasmagorical Audio Diary.

Paul

Which can be found where, sir?

#18 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for that info. I actually stopped listening to Accordlands around episode 17 because I couldn't hear the gamemaster. Were they using the H2 back then?

#19 SnackGirl

SnackGirl

Stirge

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • LocationBradford

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

Phantasmagorical Audio Diary.

Paul

Voila
Patrons only but several of you already are! Thank you :D

#20 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:22 PM

Phantasmagorical Audio Diary.

Paul

Voila
Patrons only but several of you already are! Thank you :D

But... What if the good man asking the questions isn't? :)

As to what they were using at around episode 17, I have no idea...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge