8 replies to this topic

#1 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

Is your party too tough for wimpy goblins? Want to put the fear of into them? Here's what I did:

Elite Goblin Fighters*:
Ignore the comment in the descriptive text (Room B69) about the elite goblins having Power Attack & Imp. Sunder due to hobgoblin training. They have piercing weapons, which can't be used for Sunder attacks.

Next, since they do have player class levels, give them the elite attribute array (15,14,13,12,10,8). Assign the 12 to Wisdom & the 10 to Intelligence.

Now, replace their base feats with Phalanx Fighting (Complete Warrior) and one feat of your choice (I'm partial to Toughness to give them a few more hit points or Shieldmate (Complete Warrior) to help the back ranks).

Finally give them some decent equipment, the only requirement is that they have a heavy shield and a light weapon to take advantage of Phalanx Fighting. Mine were equipped with the following:

Masterwork Studded Leather Armor
Masterwork Heavy Wooden Shields
Masterwork Short Sword
Ranseur
Sling (w/ 10 bullets)
[NOTE]

Total Value: 653 gp (recommended equipment value for 1st level NPC is 900gp)

Now have them fight in formation (generally 4 abreast & 2 rows). The front row forms a shield wall, the second row uses their ranseurs (reach weapons) to Aid Another on the goblin in front of them - generally provide defense.

What does this get you?

Well your front rank shield wall goblins will have a base AC of 20 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +3 Armor, +3 Shield (phalanx fighting provides an extra +1 shield bonus with a heavy shield)). All the goblins in the shield wall will have an AC of 22 (+2 bonus from Phalanx Fighting), 24 if the back ranks Aid Another successfully), 26 if they choose to fight defensively and more if you were to throw a hobgoblin marshal** (Class from Miniatures Handbook) into the mix.

Their attack bonuses are brutally bad as is the damage that they do (damn being small!), but the high AC will stop many PCs in their tracks until they figure out how to effectively destroy their formation. My group is fond of grenade-like weapons, bullrushing to break the formation, and area effect spells. But it sure did scare them.

These are truely elite goblins!

* I have stat-blocks done up in E-Tools, as I go through and double check them I'll post them here for you all.

** I'll post stats for these guys later as well.

#2 Wellard

Wellard

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationInverness, Scotland

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

I like these guys and will definitly be using them in my game whenever we can get that started....
Hmmm... lets see have to finish Trouble at Durbenford......set up the new CoC game... run 2 wargames Campaigns...ARRRRGH need more time....need more time.

I just bought Heroes of Battle and it has some useful teamwork abilities such as Joint Bull Rush which might be useful for these Goblins

#3 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:04 AM

In a short game I played once, we actually encountered a GOBLIN BLACKGUARD.
Now that's something to see. Especially because he had goblin-sized evil-looking plate armor and a two-handed axe that I could actually wield with one hand -- had he not KILLED me.

-- short as he might have been, he was five levels above me.

#4 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:40 AM

In a short game I played once, we actually encountered a GOBLIN BLACKGUARD.
Now that's something to see. Especially because he had goblin-sized evil-looking plate armor and a two-handed axe that I could actually wield with one hand -- had he not KILLED me.

-- short as he might have been, he was five levels above me.

I love supper powered creatures that players will assume they are tougher than, I think it has a really realistic element.

#5 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

Oh, no... he wasn't superpowered at all. He was actually quite reasonable for the place in which I found him, and we had been warned in many other discussions. We just imagined that he was an "impostor" and learned the hard way.

After all, lots of big morons thought they could beat up all 168cm of Bruce Lee. Oops.

#6 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

Oh -- and I was a PALADIN. I kinda HAD to attack the clearly evil dude.

#7 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:23 AM

Oh, no... he wasn't superpowered at all. He was actually quite reasonable for the place in which I found him, and we had been warned in many other discussions. We just imagined that he was an "impostor" and learned the hard way.

After all, lots of big morons thought they could beat up all 168cm of Bruce Lee. Oops.

I didn't really mean super powered I ment more like stronger than appearances would lead you to believe (I was going to use the Bruce Lee analogy also wish I had)

#8 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 10 December 2006 - 02:42 AM

This sort of goes back to my question about a 20th level squirrel. Given a creature of sufficient intelligence being of that size, would it be believable for a creature that SMALL even of 20th level being capable of killing a 2nd level human fighter (ie)?
The mechanic would seem to allow it, even if taking a little shoehorning. After all, humans can kill dragons - and they're smaller than squirrels in relative size.

I know, weird Q.

#9 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 10 December 2006 - 08:30 AM

Well if the squirrel had taken enough ranks in favorite enemy nut and had a feat in Exotic Weapon (Teeth) and the human was nutty yep I think the squirrel would win hands down. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge